Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think KA is sweating tbh 

I think it’s a tough call, what to do, but of course depends on each individual deal 

I think he’s definitely tempted, but sweating isn’t the word I would use. He was as cool as a cucumber with the Eichel ordeal and I bet he is now. 

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

I think he’s definitely tempted, but sweating isn’t the word I would use. He was as cool as a cucumber with the Eichel ordeal and I bet he is now. 

No reason to pick apart the verbiage 

I simply meant he’s in intense deliberation, imo 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

How many times does someone have to respond to a post saying “PANIC MOVE” by saying NOT a panic move just a reasonable addition? There’s no discussion that can be had if the other side simply refuses to equate the other side’s desire for a move as anything other than PANIC

Why does any trade have to be a PANIC! move 

no one wants a panic move 

If, and that's a big if, this move is in response to Dahlin and Tuch being out, isn't that exactly what it is?  We're getting into semantics at this point, panic or no panic, it's a response to two of your best players being out.  You're not replacing that.

But regardless, I shouldn't have thrown that word in there.  No matter what the fans want, the organization is not playing for this year and they've been very clear about it.  That's not saying there is no move coming, but if there is, it will be for someone with term or an impending RFA.  That's a pricey market, so it gets a hell of a lot more tricky to pull that off.

The deadline is an important time period for roster movement in a league there isn’t a ton. It’s a GM “game day” if you will and the Sabres are in a VERY interesting, and touchy, position. I think he probably has a headache from thinking that’s all I mean 

I don’t think he’s like “I’m gonna do nothing! It’s a breeze!” Like some are intimating, even if we don’t see a move 

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think KA is sweating tbh 

I think it’s a tough call, what to do, but of course depends on each individual deal 

Because he genuinely thinks he should do something or because he's starting to smell the lighting of torches?

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

If, and that's a big if, this move is in response to Dahlin and Tuch being out, isn't that exactly what it is?  We're getting into semantics at this point, panic or no panic, it's a response to two of your best players being out.  You're not replacing that.

But regardless, I shouldn't have thrown that word in there.  No matter what the fans want, the organization is not playing for this year and they've been very clear about it.  That's not saying there is no move coming, but if there is, it will be for someone with term or an impending RFA.  That's a pricey market, so it gets a hell of a lot more tricky to pull that off.

Agree, Stillman has term 

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I'm not sure it is the best way to grow, that's all.  Of course, that's ignoring what may happen over the next couple weeks if they do get there.  When you've waited 2-3 generations worth of players to finally see another playoff game, I have no issue waiting one more year.  I think they can make a much stronger run next year if they don't give away too many pieces right now during an inflation-heavy trade market.

But hey, I hope that passes your criteria for reasons to be here.

You do not think making the playoffs this year is the best way to grow the team because they will get swept?   You think that getting in next year is better because somehow they wont get swept?   So, we will be better next year, and make the playoffs next year, AND not get swept.  Good to know.  

What are these new pieces you are worried about giving away and what positions will they fill next season that will make us a playoff team? 

I know I am not  asking Adams to trade his top prospects right now or to mortgage the future, just wanting to add some depth to shore up the weak spots so we can make a serious run at a playoff spot. 

That's all.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I thought a tinkering move could help, certainly, before the injuries, and Dahlin should be back right away, no? That’s where I’m coming from, not “we need to find a way to replace Dahlin and Tuch”. If Dahlin is done we are done. If Tuch is done, we are not done. 

The other thing is, as small and temporary as the emotional bump you often see teams get from trades is, when the difference between making it or not might be a solitary point - 

ya. Make a move if you can 

Edited by Thorny

35 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Part of me thinks this group also has told Adams they like the room and don't want huge changes. Who knows

Great.  We have a democracy in place.  

Don't trade Bryson Mr. Adams, I know we can beat him in video games on our road trips.  And don't trade Mitts either, he is my golf partner.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Because he genuinely thinks he should do something or because he's starting to smell the lighting of torches?

Because I think there are legitimately solid reasons for several courses of action 

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You do not think making the playoffs this year is the best way to grow the team because they will get swept?   You think that getting in next year is better because somehow they wont get swept?   So, we will be better next year, and make the playoffs next year, AND not get swept.  Good to know.  

What are these new pieces you are worried about giving away and what positions will they fill next season that will make us a playoff team? 

I know I am not  asking Adams to trade his top prospects right now or to mortgage the future, just wanting to add some depth to shore up the weak spots so we can make a serious run at a playoff spot. 

That's all.  

They need to continue to build in order for that to happen.  The thought is that it's better to build for that over the summer than it is right now.

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I thought a tinkering move could help, certainly, before the injuries, and Dahlin should be back right away, no? That’s where I’m coming from, not “we need to find a way to replace Dahlin and Tuch”. If Dahlin is done we are done. If Tuch is done, we are not done. 

The other thing is, as small and temporary as the emotional bump you often see teams get from trades is, when the difference between making it or not might be a solitary point - 

ya. Make a move if you can 

This is what I’ve been telling non Sabres fans. Tuch being out can be sustained for a while, Dahlin being out cannot.

Dahlin coming back soon, there is a chance. The drop off from Tuch to Quinn to VO to KO to Vinny affects performance but not as much as Dahlin’s 28 minutes of Norris calibre hockey.

Power is trying but he is a 20 year old rookie. Mule cannot generate any offense, Joker is overmatched with top pairing minutes and the rest get caved in.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Weave said:

I can’t foresee KA bringing in another player today.  The impact on our playoff chances would be so marginal at this point, that the value added wouldn’t trip KAs trigger. 

I think there is a small chance he makes a move for a player for one or two years down the road, but my guess is that most likely happens in the offseason.

This is it, kids.  Your golf playing Buffalo Sabres.

Would actually be surprised if he doesn't have 1 more Stillman type deal up his sleeve today.  Also, expect that move will go over here like a Lead Zeppelin.  (Yes, realize how to spell the band's name.)

2 hours ago, inkman said:

If they send Kyle and Z to a contender? Not saying I’d like it but if Kulich and Savoie are ready next season…

The closer we get to the end of this season and looking forward to what guys need to be paid when the less it seems those 2 will be in Buffalo (beyond a 9 game tryout) next season.  They both are on ELC's for 3 more years if they don't play in Buffalo next year starting the following year.  Expect Adams is counting on their being low cost for the next 4 years in his cap management strategy.  (Could be mistaken, but until we see them play that 10th game in Buffalo next year, not expecting it.)

6 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Considering the GMs acting like drunken sailors, why not trade Olofsson and Mitts today?  
probably can net you 23 or 24 firsts + for each

neither in the long term plans.  

Get a couple of guys that can help you for 10+ years in the 2023 draft that absolutely loaded 

Or use the draft capital to land veterans during the off-season

11 minutes ago, French Collection said:

This is what I’ve been telling non Sabres fans. Tuch being out can be sustained for a while, Dahlin being out cannot.

Dahlin coming back soon, there is a chance. The drop off from Tuch to Quinn to VO to KO to Vinny affects performance but not as much as Dahlin’s 28 minutes of Norris calibre hockey.

Power is trying but he is a 20 year old rookie. Mule cannot generate any offense, Joker is overmatched with top pairing minutes and the rest get caved in.

Dahlin leads the “best sabres player” poll by a small margin, last I checked - but if we ran a poll for Most Valuable, it should by rights be a landslide imo

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

A big part of the room discussion centers around Bryson imo. 

He's a key member of the room because he's  friends with everyone.

Moving him could prove to be a net negative in the end because of this.

As a fan I want more out of Brysons spot on the ice but as a GM Adams has to manage the player, the room and the fans expectations. 

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Part of me thinks this group also has told Adams they like the room and don't want huge changes. Who knows

I'm not so sure this revelation is a positive development. Changes are needed. Of course the players don't want change.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Norcal said:

As a fan I want more out of Brysons spot on the ice but as a GM Adams has to manage the player, the room and the fans expectations. 

This isn't house league, it's a business, and the players know this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Norcal said:

Imo it’s ok for this to be a factor, it’s just can’t be the primary factor 

• Like (+1) 1

Sigh so its another hurry up and wait til next year... grrr with Dahlin and Tuch out nfw Sabres make the playoffs... next year Levi, Savoie and Kulich up and need to sign a FA top defender Espec considering Adams is sticking to his guns and not making any significant additions at trade deadline.

Edited by North Buffalo

Just now, Thwomp! said:

I'm not so sure this revelation is a positive development. Changes are needed. Of course the players don't want change.

Ya the elephant in the room conflict of interests cannot being willfully dismissed in totality 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Imo it’s ok for this to be a factor, it’s just can’t be the primary factor 

No. Just alot to process. 

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

This isn't house league, it's a business, and the players know this.

Right, yet there's always reports about the room at this time of year. 

Some GMs may weigh it more than others but it is weighed in every transaction. 

4 minutes ago, Norcal said:

No. Just alot to process. 

Right, yet there's always reports about the room at this time of year. 

Some GMs may weigh it more than others but it is weighed in every transaction. 

They're not a playoff team.  Whatever is going on in the room is irrelevant.

That said, the Kings are a playoff team and traded a core locker room guy in Quick.  Doughty and Kopitar were in tears at the press conference, but they'll get over it and move on.

So yeah, Bryson can go fly a kite 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.