Jeff Skinner - Appreciation

steveoath

I remember being thrilled when the Sabres got Skinner.  He seemed like the guy who always scored the "dagger in the heart" goal against us.  I'm he does that to other teams now.  I don't begrudge him at all for the drop off in production.  I think it's an interesting insight to his character that he wasn't one of the players targeted to be moved when Kevyn took over.

Did we overpay?  Yeah, probably.  Is it hurting the team?  No, not really.

Looking back, it's crazy and especially awesome that he's ahead of Seguin and Hall - I vividly remember the hype those guys got leading up to that draft. They were branded as guaranteed superstars. Not that their careers have been bad by any means, but I love that a guy like Skinner has quietly outscored them both to become head of the class. 

I'm also impressed that he's so far ahead of Tarasenko. I don't follow hockey stats these days, but it seems like every time I watch a Blues game, that guy scores six goals.

Edited by Skibum
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Believer said:

Skinner scored just 16 goals over 84 games under Krueger…

He’s scored 16 goals in 29 games so far this season

How many goals do you think Krueger cost Skinner in his career stats??… 20??… 30??… 

Skinner never really complained in the press… He stuck it out… No chip on his shoulder… Guy still plays the game with a huge smile… Leadership by example… A role model for the kids

You make an interesting point that Skinner didn't complain about his plight under Krueger. Last year, Granato talked about Skinner and his practice habits. The coach said that even when Skinner was mostly sidelined by the former coach, what he observed was that Skinner was still one of the hardest working practice players on the team. He pointed out that even when the player knew that he was going to get minimal minutes he still prepared as if he was going to be a primary player. 

It's amazing how the narrative on a player can dramatically change from being a cap and player albatross to a player who is now worth his sizeable contract. He is now an important player on one of the top first lines in the league. Coaching matters!

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

59 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You make an interesting point that Skinner didn't complain about his plight under Krueger. Last year, Granato talked about Skinner and his practice habits. The coach said that even when Skinner was mostly sidelined by the former coach, what he observed was that Skinner was still one of the hardest working practice players on the team. He pointed out that even when the player new that he was going to get minimal minutes he still prepared as if he was going to be a primary player. 

It's amazing how the narrative on a player can dramatically change from being a cap and player albatross to a player who is now worth his sizeable contract. He is now an important player on one of the top first lines in the league. Coaching matters!

At the very first I was willing to give Krueger a little rope. When he demoted Skinner to the 4th line and if I remember correctly sat him it was apparent that Krueger wasn't the coach we had hoped for. 

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Some revisionism here re: mean old Ralph. Jeff mohawked his way into the doghouse. Not worth rehashing. He's been awesome of late and that's all that matters.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Could you explain a little more at what you are suggesting? 

As bad as Skinner was handled, the way the former coach handled Dahlin was just as egregious. He took one of the most talented young defensemen in the league and straitjacketed him as a player. When Granato took over one, of the first things he did in handling the defenseman was to allow him more freedom and creativity so he could fulfill his potential. Now Dahlin is not only arguably the best player on the team but one of the best defensemen in the league. The moral of the story is that people who work hard to demonstrate how smart they are often demonstrate how unsmart they are. What's the definition of a charlatan? 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Some revisionism here re: mean old Ralph. Jeff mohawked his way into the doghouse. Not worth rehashing. He's been awesome of late and that's all that matters.

I would love to know what this means?  I’ve have never seen the word Mohawk used in this manner.  

49 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I would love to know what this means?  I’ve have never seen the word Mohawk used in this manner.  

Jeff's trademark skating style. I got a thesaurus as an early xmas gift.

Rail against RaKru if you want. The story is not as simple as mean old Ralph kept Jeffrey from producing. Chicken vs. egg.

He had 37 points in 112 games over two seasons. Inconsistency has been a trademark of his career.

It's not all on Ralph.

17 hours ago, Believer said:

How many goals do you think Krueger cost Skinner in his career stats??… 20??… 30??… 

I hate to beat the horse, but how much damage did he do to all offensive players, not just Skinner.  How much did he set back the development of TnT, Dahlin and Mitts?  Look how Sheary, Montour and Rodrigues have done since they left.  Sheary had 19 goals last year and has 19 pts in 34 game this year.  ERod had 43 pts last year with 19 goals and has 11 pts in 22 games this year.  Montour's career nearly died here under RK, last season he had 37 pts for Fla and has 26 in 32 games this season.  Clearly RK had no idea how to utilize the talent he was given on the roster.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Jeff's trademark skating style. I got a thesaurus as an early xmas gift.

Rail against RaKru if you want. The story is not as simple as mean old Ralph kept Jeffrey from producing. Chicken vs. egg.

He had 37 points in 112 games over two seasons. Inconsistency has been a trademark of his career.

It's not all on Ralph.

He scored 40 the season before Ralph.  He has 300+ goals in his career.  Best in his draft class that includes Seguin and Hall.  

The bad period you reference was all under Ralph’s 97 game regime.  I looked at his career stats.  He is a consistent scorer  with the only exception being The Ralph era.  

I will give a ten year vet with 300+ goals the benefit of a doubt over Ralph, a guy who had no business getting a second NHL stint.  Skinner is not a perfect player, he needs to be on a line with someone to drive the play, but he is definitely a goal scorer.  

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Here I thought it was hairstyle choice during that time. Thanks!

Watching Skinner skate, you do see glimpses of his figure-skating past in there. In a good way, he makes some unconventional but really fluid moves that most players can't do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.