GDT: Sharks @ Sabres, 7pm, Dec. 4th 2022, MSG 📺, WGR 📻

LGR4GM

12 minutes ago, SwampD said:
13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Someone help an old dude. It kinda reminds me of backstage that time Phyllis Diller roasted Don Rickles.

Yeah. I'm a little lost, as well. Should I know who that person is?

Dion Dawkins (Bills offensive tackle).  He goes to a lot of the games.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

I caught that. I was actually tunnel visioned on mitts as he half coasted and instead of charging from behind to try and hinder the shot, he just leaned forward and reached his stick out, which did nothing.

I'm with ya, I've seen enough as well. If we're going to build a 3rd line that works, they have to go.

Mittelstadt should be shopped, individually or in a package, while he has value… Buffalo is not the team for him… VO??… Can he be part of a bottom 6 and PP??… Perhaps… Depends on his desire…

6 hours ago, Believer said:

Mittelstadt should be shopped, individually or in a package, while he has value… Buffalo is not the team for him… VO??… Can he be part of a bottom 6 and PP??… Perhaps… Depends on his desire…

Trade them both and get whatever you can. Pretty much done with both.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Asplund - Jost - Mitts would be the next line I try 

im done with Olofsson., they don’t need his PP ability any longer and he is a liability 5v5. 

I'm agree. This team has other shooting talent that is good enough to replace olofsson here. 

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Aaron Dell lmfao. 

I think my favourite moment of this game was after Peterka's goal when Dell looks down and seems to chastise his glove, like it was the glove's fault. Too funny. 

He was bad. But it was cool that he paid an homage to Ryan Miller's WTF wave.

Between Dell and the Detroit goalie (whose name is an alphabet soup), the Sabres have recently seen some goaltending that will help the shooting %. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm agree. This team has other shooting talent that is good enough to replace olofsson here. 

I'm far from being done with Olofsson. It's easy to feel giddy after a win against a tanking team at the end of an extended and exhausting road trip. But what happens when the Sabres face the inevitable injuries? We've seen that spiraling down phenomenon two often. Are you going to argue that we have enough talent in reserve? When this team is in-tact, even with its known deficiencies, this team can compete with all teams. However, what it doesn't have is an excess in talent who you can casually get rid of only to have created another void when a player or two is out of the lineup. 

11 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Not sure if it’s just me but when I see Cozens storming down the wing and setting up his teammates with a perfect pass; I can’t help thinking he reminds me of Zemgus Girgensons 

They do have similar skating styles, but Cozens is a lot smoother and more efficient. It’s probably what makes him faster.

What he eventually does with the puck is obviously much different as well. He creates a lot more.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I'm far from being done with Olofsson. It's easy to feel giddy after a win against a tanking team at the end of an extended and exhausting road trip. But what happens when the Sabres face the inevitable injuries? We've seen that spiraling down phenomenon two often. Are you going to argue that we have enough talent in reserve? When this team is in-tact, even with its known deficiencies, this team can compete with all teams. However, what it doesn't have is an excess in talent who you can casually get rid of only to have created another void when a player or two is out of the lineup. 

Well you would be trading Olofsson so something would be coming back. Yes, I believe that the Sabres have enough forward talent to make Olofsson expendable at this very second, let alone by the time the trade deadline rolls around or when next season does. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Pimlach said:

If the only criteria are scoring, then he might beat Dahlin.  If the voter looks at the whole game, then Dahlin might get it.  

Old school, non-fancy stat comparison:   

Player            G       A    Pts     TOI      Hits   Blk   PIM     +/-

Eriksson       11    22   33     25:11    12     29     8      -3  

Dahlin            8    19    27    26:12    39    42    36     +9  

Eriksson is scoring more.  Now factor in defensive play, physicality (a real word), and impact on team play - Dahlin looks like a guy that does more.  

Sabres have 21 pts in 24 games with +1 goal differential.   Sharks have 20 pts in 27 games with -18 goal differential. 

Anyone have some fancy stat data to compare them?  

Surprised at no comments on this one ^

Last night:  

Player            G    A    Pts     TOI       Hits   Blk   PIM     +/-

Eriksson       0    1     1      23:03      0      0     0       -2

Dahlin           0    2    2      20:47      1       1     0       +1  

Eriksson had 4 SOG and was his usual dangerous self.  Dahlin was credited 1 SOG and set up two goals.  Dahlin had a huge hit that totally distracted the Sharks and got them off their game.  Dahlin was more impactful and played a better two-way game. 

Norris trophy voters need to look at the complete game.  I am sure Foxx and Mekar will be in the running as well, and probably others from better teams in bigger markets.   Dahlin is two years younger than Foxx and Mekar and 10 years younger than Eriksson.   This kid is an All Star.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, shrader said:

It drives me crazy that Dahlin needs to answer the bell after throwing a beautiful clean hit on a guy DEOVING THE NET WITH THE PUCK. Sometimes you need to lick your wounds or automatically wind up killing a penalty. 

He got pushed around when he was 18, 19, and 20.  He used to get worked over whenever he was having a good game - and he had no help from his teammates in those years (none of those teams played for each other).    I said back then he needs to defend himself and he has to do it himself.  He started defending himself a lot last year at 21, it was ugly to see sometimes but he showed he is strong and not afraid.  Now that he is 22 he is getting more room.   He still has way to go but he is on the way to gaining respect around the league.  

His prime could last from ~24 to 35 if he stays healthy and trains the way he should.  He will be a beast.   

And don't forget Power.  Power has the luxury of Dahlin taking big minutes and carrying the load.  Power is smart and heady and already playing beyond his age.  In a few years he will up there with Dahlin in skill and overall play. 

We can control the ice for 45 to 50 minutes a night with these two guys back there.  That is huge.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well you would be trading Olofsson so something would be coming back. Yes, I believe that the Sabres have enough forward talent to make Olofsson expendable at this very second, let alone by the time the trade deadline rolls around or when next season does. 

Adams seems to be willing to wait it out and maximize the returns.  At the trade deadline a contending team could be willing to part with a promising defensive prospect for him.  In that way we can lean down on forwards and add some defense to the program.  

I would love to see how the Sabres rank the other team players and prospects.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.