OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/stormcentre/index.html?region=NS

This is getting real old, real fast.  And more snow coming tomorrow night and Thursday.

Sheer pin issue had the snow blower out of commission for a bit and then it froze up.

I am about to sit down to a nice Valentine's Day supper with my beloved wife, so there is that at least.

• 4 weeks later...

Noone with a weather post after yesterday's wind storm?

Power has been out here since 1pm yesterday. Utility company says we arent getting power until maybe Saturday.

So...... generator out of the garage. Will be hooking it up after breakfast. Have to make a gas run and fill up a few containers.

Local rag reported some looting last night. I guess I'll need to take a gun out of the safe this evening.

Edited by We've

We lost power around 4:30pm and is still out. The line is down across the road at the end of the street.  They blocked the road off but my guess is that it'll be awhile before they consider us a priority over some of the other areas.  I have a tree down on one of my out buildings.. appears to be minor damage.  

I drove in to work today.  Wife and kids are home with the dogs.  we have a gas fireplace and a real fireplace... we'll survive.

Hurricane-force winds at the airport.  Had to make several unexpected detours going to pick my kid up from school, because there were trees across so many streets.  We didn't lose power, but we did lose cable.  Fortunately, we still have DSL (not sure why), so we can stream things.  Had a big piece of a 100-year-old tree come down last summer, but fortunately no more of it came down yesterday.  Did force the locked 8-foot gate on my wood fence open.  Pulled a few screws and bent some brackets, so I could fix it pretty easily.

Edited by carpandean

Sounds like everything was a real mess out Rochester way yesterday. RG&E still showing 100,000 without power. Buffalo area looks to have fared much better.

Us small town folks got hit about as hard as I imagine Rochester got hit, but Rochester gets priority with the utility workers so it'll be a couple days before we get turned on.

My generator is chugging away so we have heat and light. We're comfortable if a little inconveneinced.

Us small town folks got hit about as hard as I imagine Rochester got hit, but Rochester gets priority with the utility workers so it'll be a couple days before we get turned on.

My generator is chugging away so we have heat and light. We're comfortable if a little inconveneinced.

If we are a priority then I'd hate to see the unprioritized.

Being able to have a generator is the positive of being out in the country. My parents put one in many years back after the big ice storm that came through Buffalo. I think they've used it a few times. I couldn't imagine being in the city and not being able to run a generator. 

Just because the power is out doesn't mean you can't get turned on  :wub:

Good luck to everyone down in NYC, Jersey, etc. Looks like you guys are in for a helluva ride. 

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/841127182873194496

5" per hour in a "mega snow band". Yeeeesh. 

Meh. Does anyone wish WNY/NWPA luck? It won't be a picnic here. But I'm sure we'll get the wall to wall media coverage and disaster declarations.

Meh. Does anyone wish WNY/NWPA luck? It won't be a picnic here. But I'm sure we'll get the wall to wall media coverage and disaster declarations.

Exactly. I have little sympathy for the NYC/Boston area when it comes to snow accumulation. They flip a everytime they get more than a few inches, but don't seem to recognize that the rest of the region deals with snow "emergencies" on a regular basis.

I know its a city and there is less space to put the stuff, but it isn't the apocalypse ffs.