The Eichel 2022-23 Thread: "I'm not bitter -- I'm just interested."

SDS

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I didn't realize talking about Eichel was still a thing around here.  

I'm so happy to have Tuch  (plus Krebs and Östlund) on this team, I have almost completely forgotten about Eichel

Stop gaslighting, ghosting, orbitting and catfishing me!

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm so happy to have Tuch  (plus Krebs and Östlund) on this team, I have almost completely forgotten about Eichel

I think more folks around here would be far less interested in Eichel currently if he hadn’t decided to be such a prick towards the fans in the post game interview after his return. There are right ways and wrong ways to address booing fans, he chose the wrong way, and in doing so brought this derision upon himself. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

There's a lotta posters in here claiming they don't care about Eichel but still reading and posting in an Eichel thread.

Just sayin'.

Yup. 

I admit, I don't care for him.  I don't wish him harm, and he can have all the stats in the world, but I do not want to see him ever win a cup.  I just don't and I admit that.  

I also enjoy jokes at his expense.   He provides unlimited material to work with.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think more folks around here would be far less interested in Eichel currently if he hadn’t decided to be such a prick towards the fans in the post game interview after his return. There are right ways and wrong ways to address booing fans, he chose the wrong way, and in doing so brought this derision upon himself. 

People have different perceptions after viewing the same event. Your perception of the interview is different from mine. I watched the post-game Jack interview with Emily Kaplan. In my view it wasn't a blanket scathing response as you believe it to be. He was asked by Kaplan about the fans who booed him throughout the game. He targeted his sarcastic and critical response to them. He gave an honest answer in saying he didn't particularly like it. It was an honest response. He said what he felt. The fans are entitled to boo. They paid for their seat. And when asked about that segment of the fans he gave his heartfelt response. What's wrong with that?

What's interesting to note is that I can't recall one player publicly or privately criticizing Jack after his departure. That should indicate that he wasn't a cancer in the room that a lot of people try to portray him to be. There is no question that Jack was more of an individualist than a chummy guy. His personality wasn't necessarily warm and embracing, but so what? 

If anyone could bring up the Okposo interview when asked about the Jack situation before the trade, it would be very telling. He was empathetic and kind in his responses about him. He brought up the fact that it shouldn't be forgotten that because of his health situation that there was a good chance that he could no longer play the game he had a love and passion for. Okposo also classily/diplomatically stated that it would be the right thing for Jack and for the organization that he be moved, a position that Jack agreed with. And that's exactly what happened. The trade was the right thing for Jack and the franchise. 

I'm aware that I'm in the minority here: I wish him the best.  

• Like (+1) 1

I hate to say it but Matthews is the one that got away. 

The odds were in the Sabres favor and the league said nah, Toronto and it almost immediately propelled them to the playoffs. 

Or did and I just don't remember exactly. 

I didn't click but saw some articles recently about Eichel and his perceived negative reputation around the team. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

People have different perceptions after viewing the same event. Your perception of the interview is different from mine. I watched the post-game Jack interview with Emily Kaplan. In my view it wasn't a blanket scathing response as you believe it to be. He was asked by Kaplan about the fans who booed him throughout the game. He targeted his sarcastic and critical response to them. He gave an honest answer in saying he didn't particularly like it. It was an honest response. He said what he felt. The fans are entitled to boo. They paid for their seat. And when asked about that segment of the fans he gave his heartfelt response. What's wrong with that?

What's interesting to note is that I can't recall one player publicly or privately criticizing Jack after his departure. That should indicate that he wasn't a cancer in the room that a lot of people try to portray him to be. There is no question that Jack was more of an individualist than a chummy guy. His personality wasn't necessarily warm and embracing, but so what? 

If anyone could bring up the Okposo interview when asked about the Jack situation before the trade, it would be very telling. He was empathetic and kind in his responses about him. He brought up the fact that it shouldn't be forgotten that because of his health situation that there was a good chance that he could no longer play the game he had a love and passion for. Okposo also classily/diplomatically stated that it would be the right thing for Jack and for the organization that he be moved, a position that Jack agreed with. And that's exactly what happened. The trade was the right thing for Jack and the franchise. 

I'm aware that I'm in the minority here: I wish him the best.  

You must have missed the part when Jack said it’s the only time the fans ever made any noise in the building. He was classless and didn’t handle it the right way. I don’t care about frustration or any other excuse, either. 

Glad Okposo likes him and all, but that has no bearing on anything. 

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

I hate to say it but Matthews is the one that got away. 

The odds were in the Sabres favor and the league said nah, Toronto and it almost immediately propelled them to the playoffs. 

Or did and I just don't remember exactly. 

I didn't click but saw some articles recently about Eichel and his perceived negative reputation around the team. 

Actually the Matthews draft year Buffalo didn't finish last, not even close.  They had 81 points, and were 8 spots from the bottom.  That is the year the Leafs did tank, finished last, won the lottery, and picked Matthews.  One of the funnier things is, there was a big-time tank job by the leafs leading up to that draft...but listen to fans out of Toronto and they say "Buffalo deserves Eichel and not McDavid because they tanked and that was wrong", but they are convinced that isnt' what they did that year.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Only allowed to talk about Östlund if he does something bad. Idk why,  those are the rules though. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Actually the Matthews draft year Buffalo didn't finish last, not even close.  They had 81 points, and were 8 spots from the bottom.  That is the year the Leafs did tank, finished last, won the lottery, and picked Matthews.  One of the funnier things is, there was a big-time tank job by the leafs leading up to that draft...but listen to fans out of Toronto and they say "Buffalo deserves Eichel and not McDavid because they tanked and that was wrong", but they are convinced that isnt' what they did that year.

Ahh ok thank you, I thought they finished lower than Toronto but were jumped and ended up way down in 7th or 8th, took Nylander and cried. 

Then I woke up I guess.

Just think back on the Eichel era as the Prequel Trilogy where he was a kid with a lot of potential that ended up being transformed into a machine and wanting out of the Sabre Academy in the worst way. He and his buddy Reino (Amidala) were then traded for Tuch (Skywalker), Levi (Organa), Krebs (maybe Wedge?), Östlund (TBD), Kulich (TBD), and another still unknown draft pick; their children, if you will. Those characters will be the heart of the Original Trilogy in which 2 Cups Death Stars are skated. (And in the end Eichel may even find some redemption.)

I swear, someday I'll rewrite the screenplay as appropriate. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Eichel just had the hattie on his stick but missed an open net.

Might get another shot here. 

He must have gotten word that Tuch got a hattie tonight and he needs to save face lest the Vegas fans start missing Tuch.

On 10/19/2022 at 6:00 PM, Thorny said:

A lot of it is physics, in the macro, (as much as we may not perceive the very real physicality of the situation), after years, and years, of establishing the “culture” as you pointed out, or whatever term you use for that. 

It doesn’t really matter what the word is, the point is that once you firmly establish as a good team, the channels that fed that success only were able to do so because they were stable. 

The physics - an object in motion remains in motion unless acted upon by an opposing force. Bruins have established something as close as you can get to perpetual motion in sports 

It’s hard for bad teams to get good, the other side of the coin. Object at rest remains at rest and all that 

No personal offense, but this reads like a nonsensical word salad spoken slowly by Jordan Peterson as he sobs. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Anyone who has spent any time in close proximity to Eichel and also to his teammates at that time can attest: the guy was at best an aloof outlier when compared to his teammates, off the ice. At Tempo it was either a larger, diverse group of young and old players led by Bogosian and/or Okposo, or it was Kane coming in right at the end of service with one or two girls (to be fair, dressed like workout partners), or Eichel coming in rarely and reluctantly with one or two NON-Sabres guests and MAYBE Sam Reinhart, or Ristolainen coming in fairly often with other Scandinavian teammates. Eichel was never with the larger groups of players. And if he was there at the same time as them, it was a surprise to both parties, and one he mostly avoided acknowledging. It was weird. He was a smug doosh from my limited but sometimes close perspective.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.