The Eichel 2022-23 Thread: "I'm not bitter -- I'm just interested."

SDS

12 minutes ago, SDS said:

I don’t know if you saw the replay, but the video was 100 times worse than that still frame. The only reason his stick was off the ice was because it would slow down his glide.

haha I didn't but lets see if I can find it on twitter... hold please

9 hours ago, SDS said:

Solid defense by Jack on the game winning goal by Calgary. 

FFC73B0A-7BB7-4AE6-9677-F3D20827A89B.jpeg

I'm wondering if he is still hurt, or has another injury that no one knows about yet.

Vegas is 4 games into the season. A small sample size yet but we can notice a few trends:

-Eichel is not getting the ice time you would think your franchise (or at least star) player should be getting.  Star forwards are getting 21m-24m minutes of total ice time per game.  Eichel so far is at 15:36...5 to 6 minutes less than most other star forwards.  That is a huge difference.

-Even strength might be even more telling.  Most star forwards are around 17 minutes of even strenght ice time, some (Gaudreau, McDavid, Quinn Hughes) are in the 19-20 minute range.  Even strength though, Eichel is getting about 12 minutes (12m 15s). That puts him 6th among forwards on his own team.

This year so far he is down almost 4 minutes of total ice time compared to his time with Vegas last year, and down nearly 3 full minutes of even strength ice time compared to last year with Vegas (where he was coming off surgery AND had a different injury later in the year)

Does the new coaching staff not buy into his effort? Is he injured again? Or is his overall game not even close to that of an elite player that deserves top ice time, but are there a legit 5-6 forward on that team that have an overall game better than him?

Edited by mjd1001

31 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm wondering if he is still hurt, or has another injury that no one knows about yet.

Vegas is 4 games into the season. A small sample size yet but we can notice a few trends:

-Eichel is not getting the ice time you would think your franchise (or at least star) player should be getting.  Star forwards are getting 21m-24m minutes of total ice time per game.  Eichel so far is at 15:36...5 to 6 minutes less than most other star forwards.  That is a huge difference.

-Even strength might be even more telling.  Most star forwards are around 17 minutes of even strenght ice time, some (Gaudreau, McDavid, Quinn Hughes) are in the 19-20 minute range.  Even strength though, Eichel is getting about 12 minutes (12m 15s). That puts him 6th among forwards on his own team.

This year so far he is down almost 4 minutes of total ice time compared to his time with Vegas last year, and down nearly 3 full minutes of even strength ice time compared to last year with Vegas (where he was coming off surgery AND had a different injury later in the year)

Does the new coaching staff not buy into his effort? Is he injured again? Or is his overall game not even close to that of an elite player that deserves top ice time, but are there a legit 5-6 forward on that team that have an overall game better than him?

I don’t think he is hurt.

I had to go back and watch that part of the game. It’s no excuse, but he was a minute into his shift, where he had been battling in the corner and basically doing wind sprints.

Still funny though.

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I had to go back and watch that part of the game. It’s no excuse, but he was a minute into his shift, where he had been battling in the corner and basically doing wind sprints.

Still funny though.

McDavid played over 50% of the 3rd period and every shift looked like the start of the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

lol... what in the actual f bombs is he doing? 

It's funny, but 15 years ago when I played hockey, I was always told I "took shifts off when they mattered the most" and the ability to "score at will" was never going to get me anywhere if "you just don't want it all the time." I never really understood what my coach was on about and, honestly, I thought I was hot ***** enough that it didn't matter.

Oh god I see it now. I am so sorry to everyone I ever played with.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Yes, but there are about 125 forwards this year (nearly 1/3 of the league) whos coaching staff is giving more ice time to than Eichel is getting.

Yes, but Eichel  is not at the level of McDavid. 

Edited by Radar

Yes, but there are about 125 forwards this year (nearly 1/3 of the league) whos coaching staff is giving more ice time to than Eichel is getting.

I bet all those guys would be gassed at the end of a minute shift, as well.

I’m just not a fan of using extremes to make a point.

• Agree 1

On 10/18/2022 at 2:06 PM, PerreaultForever said:

The team culture is arguably the best in the league. 

Krejci back and DeBrusk happy, both hated Cassidy. Ullmark looking the best he ever has. Rumour has it Bob Essensa is a very good goaltending coach. Montgomery has them playing a style more conducive to the current league and thus several players have elevated their game. Bottom 6 is contributing more. If Marchand and McAvoy come back 100% they will be a true contender.  

A lot of it is physics, in the macro, (as much as we may not perceive the very real physicality of the situation), after years, and years, of establishing the “culture” as you pointed out, or whatever term you use for that. 

It doesn’t really matter what the word is, the point is that once you firmly establish as a good team, the channels that fed that success only were able to do so because they were stable. 

The physics - an object in motion remains in motion unless acted upon by an opposing force. Bruins have established something as close as you can get to perpetual motion in sports 

It’s hard for bad teams to get good, the other side of the coin. Object at rest remains at rest and all that 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

Still funny though.

Eichel hasn’t played a full season in 3 years. It makes total sense they’d be looking to ease him into the season ice time wise. When they hope to have him for the full grind plus playoffs. Not a perfect game but he’s been playing well overall - hope to see it continue 

- - - 

On a separate note, I’m glad to see the thread being so diligent on keeping us updated on the aspects of Jack’s game he needs to improve upon - *of course* I know that none of it is personal, that’s it’s purely for the purpose of breaking down some things we don’t want to see with our guys, or really from any team/players looking to find success. 

I honestly like the idea so much,  I’m going to get on board with it actually. As everyone already knows, there’s really very little value in any conversation that’s significantly unbalanced, so I’ll be taking on the role of providing some POSITIVE clips or Jack Eichel to this year (yearly?) long discussion, so we can contrast with some of the good traits we’d like to see our players take on.

Should be a fun thread!

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Eichel hasn’t played a full season in 3 years. It makes total sense they’d be looking to ease him into the season ice time wise. When they hope to have him for the full grind plus playoffs. Not a perfect game but he’s been playing well overall - hope to see it continue 

- - - 

On a separate note, I’m glad to see the thread being so diligent on keeping us updated on the aspects of Jack’s game he needs to improve upon - *of course* I know that none of it is personal, that’s it’s purely for the purpose of breaking down some things we don’t want to see with our guys, or really from any team/players looking to find success. 

I honestly like the idea so much,  I’m going to get on board with it actually. As everyone already knows, there’s really very little value in any conversation that’s significantly unbalanced, so I’ll be taking on the role of providing some POSITIVE clips or Jack Eichel to this year (yearly?) long discussion, so we can contrast with some of the good traits we’d like to see our players take on.

Should be a fun thread!

Nah. It’s personal. I hope the perpetual hype machine collapses on itself like a dying 1B star.  And his number 9 embroidered suit, which embodies everything obnoxious about his hyped hockey existence, bursts into a white hot flame. 

• Haha (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, SDS said:

Nah. It’s personal. I hope the perpetual hype machine collapses on itself like a dying 1B star.  And his number 9 embroidered suit, which embodies everything obnoxious about his hyped hockey existence, bursts into a white hot flame. 

Like I said, should be a fun thread!

- - - 

Thought you might enjoy this:

https://sinbin.vegas/stone-shares-laugh-with-eichel-over-tight-jeans/

This week at Lifeguard Arena, captain Mark Stone was asked by Sportsnet which teammate was the most fashion-forward on VGK’s roster. In years past, Karlsson, Ryan Reaves, and Alex Tuch were anointed as the freshest in the Golden Knights locker room, but that honor has now been passed down.

Hmm, good question. Got to give it to Eichs. –Mark Stone to Sportsnet

Fun quote: “It shouldn’t be surprising to anyone that Jack Eichel has the swankiest suits on the team. After all, the number one center has a high profile around the league and the extra scratch he carries around in his wallet.”

Liked this bit best, though:

“Beyond the compliments from Stone, you can catch a glimpse of two teammates’ building a connection. For only having played together for a handful of games, the Golden Knights’ two biggest weapons appear to have formed a nice bond.”

Glad to see him fitting in well. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

- - - 

Should be a fun thread!

Makes sense, you are his biggest fan. I guess it wasn't a coincidence you disappeared for months after his return game in Buffalo. He just came off so bad in that post game interview. 

47 minutes ago, Hank said:

Makes sense, you are his biggest fan. I guess it wasn't a coincidence you disappeared for months after his return game in Buffalo. He just came off so bad in that post game interview. 

Eichel was very entertaining to watch when he was healthy in Buffalo.

Still not convinced the direction needed to be completely reversed, but the die was cast & there's no going back.  The team is now at least as entertaining as the Eichel O'Reilly version on its best days but without any of the angst.  Go Sabres.

Really curious how things would've turned out had the Kane Bogosian trade never been made.  Without their 2 best buds to teach them how to be pros, maybe Jack & Reinhart buy in.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.