Is Tage Thompson injured?

SDS

1 hour ago, FanaticSense06 said:

So many excuses for a player we just signed to a 7 year extension for a lot of money...

TT shouldn't need everything to go right around him to be noticeable on the ice...

In 2 games he has zero points, his advanced stats are terrible and his body language is reminding me of Eichel...

I dunno what is up with him but he better get over it real quick because fans are going to jump down his throat.

Well, he should have at least 1 assist because he fed that beautiful pass to Skinner in the 2nd that almost definitely was in the net but the refs & bozos in TO couldn't see enough white between the puck in the twine & the crossbar to overturn the call on the ice.

To the OP's Q, haven't noticed anything clearly suggesting he is playing through an injury, so doubt it, but who knows.

1 hour ago, FanaticSense06 said:

So many excuses for a player we just signed to a 7 year extension for a lot of money...

TT shouldn't need everything to go right around him to be noticeable on the ice...

In 2 games he has zero points, his advanced stats are terrible and his body language is reminding me of Eichel...

I dunno what is up with him but he better get over it real quick because fans are going to jump down his throat.

The good news is giraffe's have notoriously long necks so they can fit a few fans in their throat. (Cue inky)

Referencing Eichel is going to become the SS equivalent of throwing out Hitler's name on an Internet forum.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, FanaticSense06 said:

What excuses?  Other than you, what fans are jumping down his throat?  You seem to have an agenda.  

I was at the game, and he was noticeable.  He didn’t score but he was working.  The only thing  I can say after 2 games is he has had less room to fire his shot and he is not being set up.  The theory that he may be hurt is a possibility, especially since he got into a fight in preseason, but he is not avoiding contact from what I can tell.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Damn man - you just erased Olofsson from the top 12.

For a game.   If I need to rotate in a spare forward then it’s either Olofsson or Quinn that sit right now.  Maybe it should be Quinn since Olofsson plays the PP?  

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Really? Body language was the best and perhaps only good evidence we had that Eichel was a Major Delta Bravo. (I'm sure you got that reference, Smell.)

Not really.  If you know any Sabres alumni, many of them shared their opinion that he was a major Delta Bravo.  

Body language for being frustrated with yourself is not always a problem.  Sometimes it’s called passion.  

Back to Tage, I didn’t see bad body language yesterday at all.  I saw effort but no favorable bounces and very little room for him or any Sabre to work.  

Florida is a fantastic Presidents Trophy team, the Sabres are trying to get to average.   They shut everything down for the large majority of the third period.   They are better right now.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FanaticSense06 said:

The ones who haven’t already……

8 hours ago, NAF said:

I doubt it. I'd chalk it up to a few things:

• Tuch is a better player than Olofsson
  • Skinner has been kinda bad through these two games, lots of giveaways
  • Other teams are probably watching more film on him due to his success last season
  • It's the second game of the season and he's still rusty

Winner, winner

8 hours ago, FanaticSense06 said:

So us Sabres fans don’t just irrationally hate Eichel specifically, we irrationally hate whoever the first line C is? 

Oddly comforting and familiar. 

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Really? Body language was the best and perhaps only good evidence we had that Eichel was a Major Delta Bravo. (I'm sure you got that reference, Smell.)

Evidence...confirmation bias... you know those old synonyms!

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, FanaticSense06 said:

It's two games. Complain in a month if it's still a problem. It would be extremely surprising if his point total didn't regress from last year, but I think he'll be fine.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/15/2022 at 9:34 PM, SDS said:

This has nothing to do with the thought that after watching Tage play he looks like he is avoiding contact and therefore may have an undisclosed injury.

He avoided contact when he first got here. Remember how we all wrote him off (well most of us) as a guy who could be a power forward but just wouldn't use his body like he should? Maybe he simply prefers to play non contact and now has a locked up contract....................................just saying. 

Really, no excuses. It's game 2. Why on earth would any team play an injured player in game 2? He needs to be accountable. If injured just get that info out there and get healed but I seriously doubt it. Did we reward him too quickly? Well that remains to be seen. 

My take is obviously there’s something off ice. He’s playing with wingers he’s accustom to so it’s not entirely a chemistry thing. 

I haven’t heard of any incidents during practice or preseason and I didn’t notice any labored or cautious movements during play.

Maybe it’s mental. Could be he feels pressure and when something doesn’t go like he hoped/planned, he gets frustrated. Or maybe he’s got something in his personal life that’s distracting him on ice.

All speculation but I hope once he puts one in he’ll snap out of it.

18 hours ago, NAF said:

I doubt it. I'd chalk it up to a few things:

• Tuch is a better player than Olofsson
  • Skinner has been kinda bad through these two games, lots of giveaways
  • Other teams are probably watching more film on him due to his success last season
  • It's the second game of the season and he's still rusty

Right on. Rusty and maybe frustrated with having to deal with more defensive attention. 

19 hours ago, LTS said:

The good news is giraffe's have notoriously long necks so they can fit a few fans in their throat. (Cue inky)

Referencing Eichel is going to become the SS equivalent of throwing out Hitler's name on an Internet forum.

Godwin's law.

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He avoided contact when he first got here. Remember how we all wrote him off (well most of us) as a guy who could be a power forward but just wouldn't use his body like he should? Maybe he simply prefers to play non contact and now has a locked up contract....................................just saying. 

Really, no excuses. It's game 2. Why on earth would any team play an injured player in game 2? He needs to be accountable. If injured just get that info out there and get healed but I seriously doubt it. Did we reward him too quickly? Well that remains to be seen. 

That entire line isn't playing well. It isn't just Tage. Skinner and Olofsson are not doing much. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/16/2022 at 7:46 AM, bob_sauve28 said:

He's a new daddy. Has other things besides hockey to think about? That has to change a person. 

6 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Maybe it’s mental. Could be he feels pressure and when something doesn’t go like he hoped/planned, he gets frustrated. Or maybe he’s got something in his personal life that’s distracting him on ice.

I'm no pro athlete, but holy cow did the first year or two of crappy sleep and tons more responsibility throw me for a loop when my daughter was born. Still is, for that matter.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

That entire line isn't playing well. It isn't just Tage. Skinner and Olofsson are not doing much. 

The three of them should not be together, Their Weaknesses are too similar meaning they get crushed in the defensive zone. I think having a player who excels at forechecking and is much more responsible in the defensive zone in Tuch should help them excel like last year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I agree. Why I said it is obvious Tuch drove the line as I've been saying since he got here. When Granato put them back together in the 3rd they were improved . 

I get the idea, move Tuch down with Mitts to get the 2nd line going, but that means Thompson has to drive the top line and he simply isn't doing that. Skinner so far is playing like Kreuger era Skinner. VO is what I've always felt he is. A shooter, with little else to offer, and fully dependent on his linemates to set him up. 

We need another Tuch on this roster. (or two)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I agree. Why I said it is obvious Tuch drove the line as I've been saying since he got here. When Granato put them back together in the 3rd they were improved . 

I get the idea, move Tuch down with Mitts to get the 2nd line going, but that means Thompson has to drive the top line and he simply isn't doing that. Skinner so far is playing like Kreuger era Skinner. VO is what I've always felt he is. A shooter, with little else to offer, and fully dependent on his linemates to set him up. 

We need another Tuch on this roster. (or two)

I agree with all of this except the bolded.  I've been lobbying for Tuch to take VO's spot on the top line, and I agree that VO doesn't play with force or tilt the ice the way Tuch does, I think VO has quite a bit more game than the way you describe it here.  I think he is a very good passer, with very good hockey IQ.  He needs the right linemates, which he doesn't have now, but he is and can be a very effective top-6 scoring forward. 

56 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Had the league overturned the refs when it looked like the puck was over the line in Knight's glove would we be having this discussion?

I don't think it was a goal, and it definitely wasn't overturnable based on the overhead camera angle, which was the best angle.

And yes, we'd still be having this conversation, because the top line has royally stunk in the 1st 2 games.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with all of this except the bolded.  I've been lobbying for Tuch to take VO's spot on the top line, and I agree that VO doesn't play with force or tilt the ice the way Tuch does, I think VO has quite a bit more game than the way you describe it here.  I think he is a very good passer, with very good hockey IQ.  He needs the right linemates, which he doesn't have now, but he is and can be a very effective top-6 scoring forward. 

He can be an effective winger. I'm not going to argue that, but he doesn't belong on that line. You've got 3 guys who like to shoot the puck and nobody that likes to play on the wall or in the corners. It's a terrible mix. 

Tuch seemed to create a little mayhem and open up more space for Skinner and Thompson. Thompson would dominate that space last year. These 3 have just been shooting from a distance with little follow up. Tuch also seemed to get both of them to play a little more physical by contagion or leading by example or whatever, and so far this year they just aren't. 

VO Mitts and a physical body we don't have on this roster at the moment would be the best option imo as I like Peterka with Cozens.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.