GDT Sabres Season Opener: Sens @ Sabres 10/13/2022, 7pm, MSG, ESPN+, RDS, WGR

PromoTheRobot

Just now, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Bjork will sit this one out.  I presume.

yes, he was an extra skater

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Throwing him to the  wolves again against the team that usually put up 6 or 7 against us last year 😉

they fired their coach and shipped away 2 important pieces, i see that team regressing. 

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Throwing him to the  wolves again against the team that usually put up 6 or 7 against us last year 😉

Which is actually why Granato went with this rotation the 1st 2 games.  On paper the Otters are a much easier opponent for the goalie to face than the Swamp Cats are.  Had the order of the opponents been flipped, tonight's starter likely would've been flipped too.

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

yes, he was an extra skater

they fired their coach and shipped away 2 important pieces, i see that team regressing. 

They very well could, but it's more likely that regression comes from even worse D play than significantly reduced scoring.

On paper the Swamp Cats have more fire power than the Otters.

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's a ***** mistake. 

It illustrates my only real concern with this regime, valuing some idea about wanting to be and play the right way over talent to the teams detriment. 

They're still playing to learn how to win, not so much to win.  Habits and attitudes are still being formed, and something like this, if they start Andy and he wins, can eventually feed into a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.

I don't know if Andy gives us the best chance to win; he probably doesn't.  But if they do win, great.  I also think there's a message hear to Comrie that if he wants to be The Starter he has to earn it; it won't be handed to him.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, inkman said:

I know he was an extra skater, Inky.

They will not dress 14 forwards.

Hiney-Stroka was an extra skater and he will dress for the game.  If for no other reason than his name being sweeter.

Fitz (7D) will dress for the game tonight.

Who is the backup backup goaler?

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

They're still playing to learn how to win, not so much to win.  Habits and attitudes are still being formed, and something like this, if they start Andy and he wins, can eventually feed into a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.

I don't know if Andy gives us the best chance to win; he probably doesn't.  But if they do win, great.  I also think there's a message hear to Comrie that if he wants to be The Starter he has to earn it; it won't be handed to him.

Or, the message might simply be that early on they'll get a comparable # of starts with Comrie taking Edward's role & facing the stiffer competition & Anderson assuming Sauve's role against the weaker competition.  

Really hoping Comrie proves out, because doubt Anderson can give them any more than 25 quality starts & probably no more than 20.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

On 10/3/2022 at 3:32 PM, Thorny said:

It’ll prob be Comrie, but people shouldn’t be shocked if it’s Anderson. “How could they possibly start someone so old with such mediocre numbers?!” isn’t really a bridge too far when, well, they did exactly that a mere season ago. 

Can’t say I’m shocked

3 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Anyone a little upset that Cozens isn't the 2nd line C? Or not much should be made of that?

Think nothing of it at this time. Granato rolls all 4 lines and it's all about who gels with whom. Thus far, it seems like Mitts-Tuch is a combo. And Cozens will get PP and likely PK time, so it'll work out.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Anyone a little upset that Cozens isn't the 2nd line C? Or not much should be made of that?

I think we see the 2nd and 3rd lines get similar amounts of ice time most games (depending on if they are flowing well) so not really for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Anyone a little upset that Cozens isn't the 2nd line C?

Only by traditional designations. 

I’d say he’s the centre being counted on second-most among centres to provide offence, after Thompson. The lines are just being balanced to the extend that there’s another line with a player, Tuch, which might get more offensive opportunities. Generally Cozens would be on that loaded up line, but with an eye to balance, Casey gets the help he needs instead. 

If Mittestadt struggles and it’s looking like Cozens could slide in and provide more offence, there would certainly be situations I’d prefer an approach that loads up the lines a bit. Tied late, down a goal or two. In a situation we can control matchups, etc

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.