Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

19 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Leafs are bringing guys from Canadian universities and junior teams to be backups because they don’t have enough money to have real backups. 😂

All so they could sign Knies who looked just brutal last night. Really has to work on his skating to keep up in the NHL.

I didn’t watch but I’m happy to hear Knies isn’t the second coming of Rick Tocchet. Their fans were excited about this guy.

21 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I didn’t watch but I’m happy to hear Knies isn’t the second coming of Rick Tocchet. Their fans were excited about this guy.

It was one game but his skating was quite noticeable. He couldn’t stay on his feet either. I’m not saying he is a bust at all.  Just saying he looked nowhere ready to step into a playoff lineup.

And with Pittsburgh and Buffalo both losing today, the Swamp Cats are in. (They hold the tiebreaker over Pittsburgh should Pittsburgh beat the BJs and Floriday lose to the Canes.)

An Aisles win tomorrow and the 8 Eastern Conference teams are set, though seeding can still get changed Thursday.

The Pens might not get an opportunity for their game vs the BJ's to matter.

I was watching the Pens feed. The announcers were just in disbelief that they lost. And it was final home game so all these fans came on the ice and they players had to come back out and give their sweaters away and take pictures. You could see that they were all dying inside. It was so awkward to see.

4 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I was watching the Pens feed. The announcers were just in disbelief that they lost. And it was final home game so all these fans came on the ice and they players had to come back out and give their sweaters away and take pictures. You could see that they were all dying inside. It was so awkward to see.

Just saw Chicago's 3rd goal.  Pittsburgh should be sick.  They puked all over themselves.

And the Isles win means the Penguins are out.

I know we've been predicting it for years, but this year marks a changing of the guard in the east.

More than half the rosters of Pittsburgh and Washington are stuffed full of 30-year-old veterans — including all their key parts — and neither organization has anyone of consequence coming behind them.

Father Time has finally caught them and I don't see either team coming back any time soon.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I know we've been predicting it for years, but this year marks a changing of the guard in the east.

More than half the rosters of Pittsburgh and Washington are stuffed full of 30-year-old veterans — including all their key parts — and neither organization has anyone of consequence coming behind them.

Father Time has finally caught them and I don't see either team coming back any time soon.

Sabres can overtake the Pens and finish one or two points out of the playoffs. But do we want to give up the 13th pick for, possibly, the 16th?

And speaking of fading, how 'bout those Ligtning?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

38 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sabres can overtake the Pens and finish one or two points out of the playoffs. But do we want to give up the 13th pick for, possibly, the 16th?

Yes we do. 

57 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Anything realistic worth plucking off of either roster?

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Abso#######lutely.  They can still get to 91 and personally want to see it happen.  Puts them at a spot where one single extra win every other month puts them at 99 points and over an NHL 0.600.  One extra win every month puts them at the 105 you've been talking about.

Neither of those are crazy increases in productivity overall. 

Personally expect to be predicting 110 after this season's off-season moves are made, but we shall see what happens.  This team as constituted should be able to make at least 105 an internal goal.   And it looks a lot more doable with a win tomorrow over the Otters and then ending with a win against the BJ's on Friday than it does with 3 consecutive L's to close the year out.  (Even though it really doesn't mean anything for next year.)

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Fading yes, but not quite ready to write them off for a while.

The cap has hurt their depth and trades seem to have exhausted their ability to improve.

But a core of Kucherov 29, Point 27, Hedman 32, Sergachev 24, Cernak 25, and Vasilevsky 28 is going to stick around for a while and the Paul, Hagel, Cirelli, Jeannot group is some effective youngish foot soldiers.

Hopefully they will be a hurdle we can jump in the next year or two, but they'll hang in longer then we like, just like Pittsburgh and Washington did.

Pastrnak and that defence corps and goaltending should mean the same thing for the Bruins. I'm really curious what happens there after this year — who's gone and how do they adjust?

Edited by dudacek

35 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Pastrnak and that defence corps and goaltending should mean the same thing for the Bruins. I'm really curious what happens there after this year — who's gone and how do they adjust?

i've been expecting Boston to fade for a while and yet here they are in record setting season. Everyone talks about Bergeron and Krejci coming in on those team friendly deals, and they are a factor, but there's a few other things that have made Boston what they are. Lindholm in his first full season has been incredible. Arguably their best D man and way better than anyone realized coming out of Anaheim. Carlo and Gryzlyk also playing their best hockey of their careers. Even without Orlov added their D is very very good and will mostly be back. Ullmark obviously a big part of the story. They actually have too many goalies. They lack top scoring offensive prospects (maybe Lysell, maybe) but they also have a bunch of young bottom six guys like Lauko ready to take over from the Folignos and others that won't be back. Zacha has shown he can replace Krejci, so all they will really be missing is Bergeron. One good free agent like maybe ROR and they'll be almost as good as this year.

In many ways they are the antithesis of the Sabres. Vezina goaltending, deep and solid D with mediocre offense aside from Pasternak As opposed to bad goaltending (prior to Levi), thin D and multiple offensive threats. Total opposites. 

30 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

i've been expecting Boston to fade for a while and yet here they are in record setting season. Everyone talks about Bergeron and Krejci coming in on those team friendly deals, and they are a factor, but there's a few other things that have made Boston what they are. Lindholm in his first full season has been incredible. Arguably their best D man and way better than anyone realized coming out of Anaheim. Carlo and Gryzlyk also playing their best hockey of their careers. Even without Orlov added their D is very very good and will mostly be back. Ullmark obviously a big part of the story. They actually have too many goalies. They lack top scoring offensive prospects (maybe Lysell, maybe) but they also have a bunch of young bottom six guys like Lauko ready to take over from the Folignos and others that won't be back. Zacha has shown he can replace Krejci, so all they will really be missing is Bergeron. One good free agent like maybe ROR and they'll be almost as good as this year.

In many ways they are the antithesis of the Sabres. Vezina goaltending, deep and solid D with mediocre offense aside from Pasternak As opposed to bad goaltending (prior to Levi), thin D and multiple offensive threats. Total opposites. 

What might be the best D corps in the league with 2 legit goalies is going to keep you in every game. And the top 4 are all between 25 and and 29. They aren't going to age out any time soon.

it's the forwards though,  specifically the centres. Bergeron, Krecji, Bertuzzi, Hathaway, and Foligno are all UFAs

The depth chart for next year right now is:

• Marchand Zacha Pastrnak
  • Hall Coyle Debrusk
  • Frederic Steen Greer
  • Lauko Beecher Lysell

On paper, that's just not good enough.

They've got $10 million available under the cap to upgrade, but they also have to pay Swayman, as well as re-sign or replace Orlov and Clifton on the blueline with that.

Can they get some good players to sign cheap again? Will they trade a goalie and or a defenceman?

They're a well-run organization, so I'm sure they will come up with something.

I'm just really curious to see how and what.

Edited by dudacek

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

• Hall Coyle Debrusk
  • Frederic Steen Greer
  • Lauko Beecher Lysell

I don't disagree with the overall assessment you made. The D and goaltenders is definitely their strength and forwards are thinner next year for sure. 

More likely the lines are:

Marchand - ? - DeBrusk

Hall - Zacha - Pasternak

Frederic - Coyle - Lauko

? - Koppanen - Greer

I think Hathaway might sign for a small discount as he has said he's always wanted to play in Boston and loves it there but you know, everyone has their price. Lysell is their wild card. Beecher, Poitras, Harrison all possible future centers (or wingers) but not sure any of them are ready yet (if ever). Bruins don't develop in the NHL like the Sabres. Really, one center away assuming Bergeron and Krejci are gone. 

On 4/13/2023 at 1:24 AM, dudacek said:

What might be the best D corps in the league with 2 legit goalies is going to keep you in every game. And the top 4 are all between 25 and and 29. They aren't going to age out any time soon.

it's the forwards though,  specifically the centres. Bergeron, Krecji, Bertuzzi, Hathaway, and Foligno are all UFAs

• Hall Coyle Debrusk
  • Frederic Steen Greer
  • Lauko Beecher Lysell

They've got $10 million available under the cap to upgrade, but they also have to pay Swayman, as well as re-sign or replace Orlov and Clifton on the blueline with that.

Can they get some good players to sign cheap again? Will they trade a goalie and or a defenceman?

They're a well-run organization, so I'm sure they will come up with something.

I'm just really curious to see how and what.

That 10 million will be going down after this season, I’m not sure by how much though. According to capfriendly, the Bruins have ~30k of cap space left, with up to 4.7 million to pay for eligible bonuses. Any bonus overages count against next year’s cap space. I know Bergeron had 2.5 mil in bonuses based on games played, and I think Krecji had something similar. Regardless that number is more like 6-7.5

On 4/11/2023 at 4:16 PM, French Collection said:

Most teams and fanbases tend to, at one time or another, overvalue their prospects. However, Leaf fans take that to another level.

They think every prospect the draft is great just because they are leafs. Every trade they make they win lopsided just because their management is the greatest ever (until they get fired, then everyone knew they were bad all along).

The only reasons the leafs ever lose a single game, to their fanbase, is because of bad officiating or a player who they will only acknowledge is bad after he is gone.

Knies may turn out to be good eventually, or maybe not, but some leaf fans were making him out to ba an all-star in waiting just about to enter their lineup.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don't pay much attention to Chicago.  How much gas does Toews have left in the tank for that veteran leader role he's going to play next year?  Here, somewhere else, I'm curious to see how that works out for him.

Given his recent health issues I expect him to retire.  If he doesn't he might try and stay and shape to be a late season signing to help some team.  I don't expect a full season from him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.