Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

It's Smith and the 3 picks. 

Now's the time for KA to make his final offer on Chychrun as Boston was the primary suitor and since they went Orlov that deal's obviously not going to happen. Arizona might be willing to drop the price slightly from their earlier stance as they run out of potential landing spots. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LTS said:

That makes more sense.  If I am reading it correctly they have about $20M in projected cap space.  DeBrincat isn't going to get much of a raise.. if any is he?  He's barely above Batherson in scoring and Batherson is signed at far less than DeBrincat is making this year.

They've gotta be looking to bring someone in.. but then you'd think they would use Zaitsev for the trade?  I guess we'll see what happens.  Your explanation make the most sense so far. 🙂

His AAV is currently $6.4.  I’d guess his next deal will be over $8M AAV.

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Pittsburgh now in reach as they got blown out by the Oilers. Florida game has to be playoff level hockey. 

It would be awesome if they had more than two players on the team that know what playoff level hockey looks like.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Curt said:

His AAV is currently $6.4.  I’d guess his next deal will be over $8M AAV.

But his stats do not support $8M.  That's what I was saying.  He's an RFA and his only hope would be arbitration.  It's going to be a hard case to make given the evidence on his own team.  I wouldn't pay him $8M.

30 minutes ago, LTS said:

But his stats do not support $8M.  That's what I was saying.  He's an RFA and his only hope would be arbitration.  It's going to be a hard case to make given the evidence on his own team.  I wouldn't pay him $8M.

Wow, I thought he was a couple years older and a pending UFA.  Maybe being a RFA cuts into it a little.

But I think his stats DO support $8M+ AAV.  Over the past 3 seasons he has 92G 182PTS in 190 games.  If not $8M+, how much does that equate to in AAV?

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Personally, I don't think he's worth the price he'll end up signing for based on the eye test, but he is absolutely going to get a long-term deal at more than $8m and the  underlying stats support it. I'm not sure I understand what stats you're pointing to specifically. 

JFresh has his WAR at 93%. He is currently on a 70 point pace. He broke 40 goals last season and posted 32 goals the year prior in the COVID-shortened 52 game season. He broke 40 goals again in 2018-2019. He just turned 25 in December. Ottawa gave Brady Tkachuk $8.2m for 7 years and DeBrincat has outpaced him every year except this year.

Evolving Hockey's model says he is worth $8.24 x 5 years. His QO is $9m. Ottawa is not going to get him to sign for less than Tkachuk so I'd guess the $8.2m is the floor. 

The Athletic RFA article from 2/16 suggests $8.6m x 7 years. The Athletic's Sens beat writer wrote in his mailbag in October he expects the number "to start with a 9" based on Barzal signing at $9.15m x 8.

He's absolutely getting more than $8m. It might end up being his $9m QO and he gets traded this summer though.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Curt said:
41 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Personally, I don't think he's worth the price he'll end up signing for based on the eye test, but he is absolutely going to get a long-term deal at more than $8m and the  underlying stats support it. I'm not sure I understand what stats you're pointing to specifically. 

JFresh has his WAR at 93%. He is currently on a 70 point pace. He broke 40 goals last season and posted 32 goals the year prior in the COVID-shortened 52 game season. He broke 40 goals again in 2018-2019. He just turned 25 in December. Ottawa gave Brady Tkachuk $8.2m for 7 years and DeBrincat has outpaced him every year except this year.

Evolving Hockey's model says he is worth $8.24 x 5 years. His QO is $9m. Ottawa is not going to get him to sign for less than Tkachuk so I'd guess the $8.2m is the floor. 

The Athletic RFA article from 2/16 suggests $8.6m x 7 years. The Athletic's Sens beat writer wrote in his mailbag in October he expects the number "to start with a 9" based on Barzal signing at $9.15m x 8.

He's absolutely getting more than $8m. It might end up being his $9m QO and he gets traded this summer though.

Yup. Annnnnd... they gave up a top-10, a 2nd and 3rd to get him. They're resigning him to the longest term they can and he'll get paid for it. Their alternative is to bridge him back to UFA (or maybe RFA if 1-year?) and then trade him. But they won't be getting a top-10 pick in return.

Edit: Based on his production, he should be asking for a Skinner-level deal.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.