Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

2 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

Calgary playing at home on a Monday afternoon. I find this strange. I don’t mean to be ignorant but do Canadians observe Presidents’ Day? 

Nope.  See below.  It's not actually a Federal Holiday, so if you need a Passport that office is open.  Mail will be delivered.  The only exception to this rule are banks, which are Federally regulated, but closed today.  Today is a provincial stat holiday in most, but not all, provinces.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

No, but each province has its own holiday today 

here in Manitoba it’s Louis Riel (lol) day

Riel was a true hero.  Know your history Mr.  Man(itoba) Man.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

It’s called Family Day in Ontario today. Many places are closed (govt.) but it’s not mandatory.

Here in in NS it's NS Heritage Day and each year a selection is made from a long list of potential honourees  This year it is Rita Joe Day.

https://heritageday.novascotia.ca/content/2023-honouree-rita-joe

A very worthy honouree.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Right?  If I'm a teammate close with Sanheim, how hard am I going to work for Tortorella now?

I think he's trying to measure how Sanheim is going to respond and if he doesn't like the response he won't be on the club in 2 weeks. He's also measuring how Sanheim's buddies respond and if they tank they'll be gone too. That was the one insight he gave in that grumpy post game. Paraphrasing, we are trying to figure out who is going to be in the room.

Not for nothing, Tortorella has a job to do and worrying about whose parents are in the stands isn't on that list. You wanna play when your folks are in the building maybe suck less for the two weeks leading up to it. What does Tortorella owe Sanheim?

2 minutes ago, Contempt said:

I think he's trying to measure how Sanheim is going to respond and if he doesn't like the response he won't be on the club in 2 weeks. He's also measuring how Sanheim's buddies respond and if they tank they'll be gone too. That was the one insight he gave in that grumpy post game. Paraphrasing, we are trying to figure out who is going to be in the room.

Not for nothing, Tortorella has a job to do and worrying about whose parents are in the stands isn't on that list. You wanna play when your folks are in the building maybe suck less for the two weeks leading up to it. What does Tortorella owe Sanheim?

That is a legitimate way of looking at it, I suppose.  We'll see if Tortorella wins a cup in Filly (he won't).

Just now, Eleven said:

That is a legitimate way of looking at it, I suppose.  We'll see if Tortorella wins a cup in Filly (he won't).

Odds are he won't but it's not going to be because he benched Travis Sanheim one time and made him angry. You hire Tortorella to be Tortorella and if I were him I'd want to get fired doing the job the way I believe it should be done. All coaches get fired eventually.

If it were you would you want to go out being yourself or trying to be something you aren't? If Tortorella suddenly starting acting like Bruce Boudreau it would come off so fake he'd lose the room instantly.

Let's not pretend that there was no communication ahead of this or that Sanheim had any confusion about how the coach felt about his play. He'd heard the feedback and ignored it which indicates a player feels entitled to ice time. How do you fix that? You take away the ice time.

There are plenty of players we've called for benching. All the time. Do we ask or care who happens to be in attendance that night? Does it matter? It's not pee wee hockey.

24 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Knights put Stone on LTIR; that clears over 9M in cap.

As a Knights season ticket holder, I think a trade is imminent. My guess it’s gonna be Kane. When this rebuild finally takes place it’s gonna be many losing seasons. McCrimmon and McPhee have depleted the system to go all in every year. Both will probably lose their job before ever getting a Stanley Cup. The only saving grace is that players want to come here. They essentially screwed that up as well with fan favorite Fleury being traded for nothing. The way these two have handled past trades of our players is disturbing.

11 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Is that how that works or does it just clear Stones prorated salary for the rest of the year?

It clears Stone's prorated salary, allowing them to bring in new players with commensurate prorated salaries.  The math is the same no matter how it's phrased.  It's easier to just say "over 9M in cap" because then we can look at who they're bringing in, with, e.g., $3.6M and $5M cap hits, and see that it works.

9 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Well he'll have to be content with the one he already has then. He and Babcock can compare rings with Boudreau. Oh, right.

Cute.

What about Trotz?  Or Cooper?  Or any other coach who doesn't have to be obnoxious to succeed?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

As a Knights season ticket holder, I think a trade is imminent. My guess it’s gonna be Kane. When this rebuild finally takes place it’s gonna be many losing seasons. McCrimmon and McPhee have depleted the system to go all in every year. Both will probably lose their job before ever getting a Stanley Cup. The only saving grace is that players want to come here. They essentially screwed that up as well with fan favorite Fleury being traded for nothing. The way these two have handled past trades of our players is disturbing.

Probably gotta try and find a way to use that Stone money somehow this season so I agree a trade is imminent. One of the best teams in the league and winners of 5 straight since the break - no good sitting on the 9 mil if Stone can’t play. Dude does seem to always get hurt. Shame as he’s one of their central figures if not THE central figure there

Another saving grace is making the playoffs all but 1 year and sitting first in the West right now, but what do I know. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.