2023 NHL draft rankings

Crusader1969

14 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Glad he is out west

Doesn't really bother me where he is.

Yes, I get it, he is likely to be great.  Generational.  A step behind McDavid but close.

But we have had generational talent in the past few decades and it hasn't ruined competition in the league. Crosby as "the next great one" has 3 cups while he is going into is 19th year.  Ovechkin may be the best scorer the league has ever seen and he has 1 cup while going to his 19th season. McDavid is in his 8th year and no cups (yet). Joe Thornton wasn't quite generational, but he was probably as close to it coming out (there were some who called him generational when drafted) and in 24 years, no cups. Eric Lindros was generational FOR SURE, may have had as much hype as McDavid and more than Bedard coming out, and in 13 years no cups (the first part of his career he was fairly healthy).

I'd be less 'worried' he would ruin my teams chances....and would rather have him play in my own division so I could see him play more often.

I'm glad we have great players to watch, but I think the NHL is a league where a guy isn't going to turn competition on its head. If McDavid and Crosby have 3 cups between them in 26+ seasons combined I'm not worried about that.  Plus Chicago has a long way to go.  They have a lot of 1st round picks coming up to help them, but many of those high picks are going to be later in the draft, and they are starting with almost nothing right now.  They are 'set up' well for the future, but there is a LOT of heavy lifting. 

I'd be afraid if we had a guy like Mario Lemieux coming into today's NHL.  I think Lemieux playing in the NHL of 2023 would be unstoppable.  He could carry a bad team to the cup, but I haven't seen a talent like Lemieux since, well, since Mario Lemieux.

The Athletic did a deep dive with 4 anonymous scouts into players who might be under consideration at pick 11.

It's written from a Canuck perspective, but since we are two picks later and also in the market for a D, it is very relevant for Sabres fans

For those who can get past the paywall, it's a fantastic read.

https://theathletic.com/4497412/2023/05/09/nhl-draft-2023-canucks-scouts-poll/

Among the insights:

• No defenceman — not Reinbacher, nor Sandin-Pelikka — is worthy of pick 11, but some will be overdrafted for need
  • If Simashev was a North American, he'd be picked around this area, Willander is good, but probably more of a late teens pick
  • Guys who might slip out the top 10 but shouldn't and who should be pounced on at 11: Benson, Dvorsky
  • Forwards Wood (skill, size but questionable motor), Moore (pace, speed, lacks top-end skill), Yaeger (top-end skill, disappointing season), Danielson (pro size and speed, hockey sense questions) and Perreault ((opposite of Danielson) would be under heavy consideration here for some teams and not for others.
  • Pro-style wingers Barlow and Leonard might be available at that range and should be, good value picks here

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 2

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Most lists I've seen have him top 10. Sportsnet for example has him at 7. 

Reinbacher will be gone before 13. Of this I am near certain but if he falls you take him.

I know this will be disagreed with by some here but I kind of like Nate Danielson. I can see him becoming the perfect 3rd line 2 way center for us down the road. 

Oh and ya, of course the thing was rigged. I called it for Chicago months ago. Nothing shocking there.

Yes, Reinbacher dropping to 13 would be a welcome miracle.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

The question is always at what point do you use that capitol and how much do you use at that time? 

Do you not think it's time to make the playoffs now???

The time you start trading away your draft picks is when you are legit Cup contenders.  if they keep the pick, they still should expect to be a playoff team in 23/24.

UFA Market, RFA market

Trades:

They can "weaponize" their cap space by acquiring players from teams in Cap Hell

They have plenty of other draft picks available to trade round 2 through 7

Olofsson, Joker, UPL and Comrie, could be used as trade chips. Plus any current prospects not name Kulich or Savoie 

I hope they keep the pick BUT if they feel the best alternative to acquire a guy who can play in your top 4 , with term - then so be it.  I trust their judgement over mine 🙂

Here is a draft day scenario that could play out.  Matvei Michkov is the consensus 3rd or 4th player in the draft.  Some scouts think his skill level rivals that of Bedard.  However he is under contract for the next 3 years in Russia and who knows how long Russia’s invasion of the Ukraine lasts.  Given that back drop there is already talk of him falling in the draft, but how far will he fall.  I quess it would be based on how much the team liked his talent and how patient the GM is willing to be.  

Looking at the draft board, there are two teams ahead of us who are willing to gamble on Russian players.  They are Det @ 9 and Wash @ 8.  However given those two teams are desperate to add talent who will be in the NHL sooner than later.  Wash is getting older as we speak and Det lacks scoring depth now and doesn’t have a huge pipeline to add it.  On the other hand, Buffalo has plenty of current young forward talent and a very patient GM.  We are the one team in the lottery that can truly afford to be patient and we also have a history of drafting Russian through the pandemic and since the war started.

So how far might Michkov fall?  Last season Yurov, who was under contract for last year (and has since signed an extension for next season) fell from the consensus 11th slot to 24th.  Trikozov fell from consensus 34 to 60th.  Miroshenko, who already had been downgraded because of cancer, was a consensus 21st, went 20th to the Russian sanctuary Caps and signed with the Caps already once his KHL season ended.  

Unlike Yurov or Miroshenko, who had 1 year left on their KHL deals when drafted, Michkov’s contract runs through 2025/26.  That’s asking a ton a patience from an NHL team and most of the GM’s drafting in the top 16 likely won’t be the GM by the time Michkov reaches the NHL.  

Based on the mess in Russia and the KHL contract, I can easily seeing him falling to us at 13. 

I didn’t see an negative Russian bias in the covid 2021 or 2020 drafts.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Disagree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

The time you start trading away your draft picks is when you are legit Cup contenders.  if they keep the pick, they still should expect to be a playoff team in 23/24.

UFA Market, RFA market

Trades:

They can "weaponize" their cap space by acquiring players from teams in Cap Hell

They have plenty of other draft picks available to trade round 2 through 7

Olofsson, Joker, UPL and Comrie, could be used as trade chips. Plus any current prospects not name Kulich or Savoie 

I hope they keep the pick BUT if they feel the best alternative to acquire a guy who can play in your top 4 , with term - then so be it.  I trust their judgement over mine 🙂

I don't want them to start trading all the capital away and emptying the cupboard, but I would like them to do what it takes to fill the holes we have (and have had for quite a while) so that we don't have another near miss season. We need to make the playoffs and get this young core excited about being IN the playoffs. 

In general I don't trade 1st rounders away but lower picks are on the table to do what it takes. If we have too many forward prospects I'd swap for D in a heartbeat. 

I just want the holes filled. Get that D man to pair with Power. Do whatever it takes for that now and then keep building on those prospects. 

Most of all I want to be enjoying the playoffs like all those Kraken and Devils fans are. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here is a draft day scenario that could play out.  Matvei Michkov is the consensus 3rd or 4th player in the draft.  Some scouts think his skill level rivals that of Bedard.  However he is under contract for the next 3 years in Russia and who knows how long Russia’s invasion of the Ukraine lasts.  Given that back drop there is already talk of him falling in the draft, but how far will he fall.  I quess it would be based on how much the team liked his talent and how patient the GM is willing to be.  

Looking at the draft board, there are two teams ahead of us who are willing to gamble on Russian players.  They are Det @ 7 and Wash @ 8.  However given those two teams are desperate to add talent who willing be in the NHL sooner than later.  Wash is getting older as we speak and Det lacks scoring depth now and doesn’t have a huge pipeline to add it.  On the other hand, Buffalo has plenty of current young forward talent and a very patient GM.  We are the one team in the lottery that can truly afford to be patient and we also have a history of drafting Russian through the pandemic and since the war started.

So how far might Michkov fall?  Last season Yurov, who was under contract for last year (and has since signed an extension for next season) fell from the consensus 11th slot to 24th.  Trikozov fell from consensus 34 to 60th.  Miroshenko, who already had been downgraded because of cancer, was a consensus 21st, went 20th to the Russian sanctuary Caps and signed with the Caps already once his KHL season ended.  

Unlike Yurov or Miroshenko, who had 1 year left on their KHL deals when drafted, Michkov’s contract runs through 2025/26.  That’s asking a ton a patience from an NHL team and most of the GM’s drafting in the top 16 likely won’t be the GM by the time Michkov reaches the NHL.  

Based on the mess in Russia and the KHL contract, I can easily seeing him falling to us at 13. 

I didn’t see an negative Russian bias in the covid 2021 or 2020 drafts.

I don't think he gets past Washington. I think they would be quite happy waiting on Miro and Michkov to spearhead a new Russian Revolution. Caps aren't in win now mode, they are in get players who can pass to Ovi mode.

If he's there at 13 then I'm jumping on it. Helps space out our prospect pipeline, should have a Russian clique in NA by that point to show him the ropes.

7 minutes ago, steveoath said:

If he's there at 13 then I'm jumping on it. Helps space out our prospect pipeline, should have a Russian clique in NA by that point to show him the ropes.

I agree.  I think there is a significant chance that Washington or Det take him if available, but I do honestly think it's possible he slides all the way to us.  If that happens, KA certainly drafts him.  Also the Caps are kind of win now mode.  The just extended Strome, Jensen, Milano, Alexeyev and TVR.  They have almost no cap space and no draft capital.  The need this year's 1st to push for a roster spot sooner than later.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

If Michkov slides to Washington, it would not surprise me if he was in the Capitals Opening Night Lineup in October. There is a scenario where one phone call from Ovi to Putin and his KHL Deal is terminated. 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If Michkov slides to Washington, it would not surprise me if he was in the Capitals Opening Night Lineup in October. There is a scenario where one phone call from Ovi to Putin and his KHL Deal is terminated. 

Could be.  Rotenberg who runs St Petes is a big Putin Supporter and runs the Russian Hockey Federation. He may not want to let Michkov go. It would be interesting if that happened.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Could be.  Rotenberg who runs St Petes is a big Putin Supporter and runs the Russian Hockey Federation. He may not want to let Michkov go. It would be interesting if that happened.

He also probably doesn’t want a 9mm headache, radioactive tea or to be found floating in a lake face down either. 

17 hours ago, LTS said:

The draft lottery itself is a joke.  Therefore, any show or coverage or "drama" around it is starting a joke level and will only get worse.

Just stop with the farce.

Or steer into it.  Either would be better and honestly an over the top ####show might actually be entertaining in a warped way.

9 hours ago, shrader said:

Drawing four balls and then going to a chart to see who hold that number combination? Yeah, that will be aired live on tv right after the paint drying championship. 

What if they had somebody like that weenie that NBC brought out on FNiA late in the season to run through every team's chances of making the playoffs and how they change with each other win/loss earlier in the day?

They could have the weenie talking about how x ball getting popped affects each team's chances as now a proverbial truck ton of tickets can no longer be winners.  And then do it again after the next ball and again after that one.  Then interview the GMs that still have a chance after 3 have popped.  Talk to the Arizona GM about how much it stinks that once again they won't be winning the lottery as all their 200 different number combinations somehow didn't have all 3 balls already grabbed included in their mix.

And then after the final number is drawn have a large flashing logo of the winning team overhead with some Rip Taylor wannabe running around throwing confetti at the GM of that team like he was the winner of the $1.98 Beauty Contest.

It could be so horrific and kitschy you wouldn't be able to look away.  A ratings triumph.

17 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

The question is always at what point do you use that capitol and how much do you use at that time? 

Do you not think it's time to make the playoffs now???

We'll make the playoffs without moving a piece is my current view of the situation. Players grow, they physically and mentally develop. I have full confidence we're going to the playoffs next season, without moving a single piece in a trade.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

We'll make the playoffs without moving a piece is my current view of the situation. Players grow, they physically and mentally develop. I have full confidence we're going to the playoffs next season, without moving a single piece in a trade.

The D isn't deep enough or adequate imo, even if Power is even better (he could just as easily have a sophomore slump).

A lot obviously depends on Levi and the goaltending being substantially better. To me it's a hopeful thing but far from a sure thing. 

Looking at this year's playoff teams Boston won't be as good but might still be good enough to be in the playoffs. Rangers might drop a little but hard to say. New coach. Might be the same. Nobody above us obviously ready to crash and burn totally just yet. Detroit and Ottawa SHOULD be improved and maybe challenging. It won't be easy. We will need a solid win streak in November instead of a losing streak to have a chance. 

Unless we improve the roster. Then we can leap forward like New Jersey did. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

The D isn't deep enough or adequate imo, even if Power is even better (he could just as easily have a sophomore slump).

A lot obviously depends on Levi and the goaltending being substantially better. To me it's a hopeful thing but far from a sure thing. 

Looking at this year's playoff teams Boston won't be as good but might still be good enough to be in the playoffs. Rangers might drop a little but hard to say. New coach. Might be the same. Nobody above us obviously ready to crash and burn totally just yet. Detroit and Ottawa SHOULD be improved and maybe challenging. It won't be easy. We will need a solid win streak in November instead of a losing streak to have a chance. 

Unless we improve the roster. Then we can leap forward like New Jersey did. 

Last year, Detroit added Chairot, Perron, Copp, Husso, Kubalik and Maatta and improved 6 points

Ottawa added Giroux, Debrincat, Talbot, and eventually Chychrun and jumped 13 points

We added Lyubushkin and Comrie and climbed 16.

Im not sure if this works the way you think it does.

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, Taro T said:

What if they had somebody like that weenie that NBC brought out on FNiA late in the season to run through every team's chances of making the playoffs and how they change with each other win/loss earlier in the day?

They could have the weenie talking about how x ball getting popped affects each team's chances as now a proverbial truck ton of tickets can no longer be winners.  And then do it again after the next ball and again after that one.  Then interview the GMs that still have a chance after 3 have popped.  Talk to the Arizona GM about how much it stinks that once again they won't be winning the lottery as all their 200 different number combinations somehow didn't have all 3 balls already grabbed included in their mix.

And then after the final number is drawn have a large flashing logo of the winning team overhead with some Rip Taylor wannabe running around throwing confetti at the GM of that team like he was the winner of the $1.98 Beauty Contest.

It could be so horrific and kitschy you wouldn't be able to look away.  A ratings triumph.

... and then they can do it two more times for the next drawings.  Ratings gold!

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, shrader said:

... and then they can do it two more times for the next drawings.  Ratings gold!

Well, 1 more.  They only have 2 drawings now.  But if this is how it's done, they might have the lottery determine the top 5 teams.  But for drawings 4-5, it's a holographic Rip Taylor throwing the confetti because the person dressed up as him is exhausted.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.