2023 NHL draft rankings

Crusader1969

On 4/25/2023 at 2:22 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

There is a player who is currently 19th on my board but who will go higher on draft day who would be a steal for the Sabres on draft day at 13.  What? How can I guy ranked 19th be a steal at 13?  Great question. The answer is that he ranked much to low, but won’t be come draft day.  The player is Gabe Perreault.  The kid broke Matthews USNTDP scoring record this season with 125 pts, including 52 goals in 59 games. These numbers including his 5g 15 pts in 4 U18 games so far.  If this kid is still around at 13 you take him and smile at the way to years of NHL playoffs.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/meet-gabe-perreault-the-nhl-draft-prospect-that-broke-auston-matthews-scoring-record

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

No love for Gabriel Perreault? I realize he's not Gilbert but few our but with that name it be nice to see Perrault in a Sabres blue and gold again. 

Please see above.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Well, 1 more.  They only have 2 drawings now.  But if this is how it's done, they might have the lottery determine the top 5 teams.  But for drawings 4-5, it's a holographic Rip Taylor throwing the confetti because the person dressed up as him is exhausted.

I mean, the first two rounds were so much fun, why not add more!

16 hours ago, dudacek said:

Last year, Detroit added Chairot, Perron, Copp, Husso, Kubalik and Maatta and improved 6 points

Ottawa added Giroux, Debrincat, Talbot, and eventually Chychrun and jumped 13 points

We added Lyubushkin and Comrie and climbed 16.

Im not sure if this works the way you think it does.

It's not a simple equation and many things factor in.  Detroit was obviously disappointed with what they got from them. Ottawa had some trouble jelling that team together and they had some injury issues but they were looking pretty good toward the end of the year. Detroit still has a ton of picks to come. You skipped New Jersey, who got it done. 

We climbed because Cozens came into his own, Mitts improved, Samuelsson also fully developed and we added Power. Peterka and Quinn were inconsistent but decent and even good at times. It's always a combination of things. 

All I'm saying is we are not alone in terms of non playoff teams pressing for those playoff spots. We will have to be even better next year. 

27 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

For the sabres to move back to 20, anyone have the draft pick chart that shows what they should receive in return? 

1A029138-FA66-448E-9CDC-E4EFA26DE46D.jpeg

https://theathletic.com/1798463/2020/06/12/by-the-numbers-revisiting-the-true-value-of-a-draft-pick/?source=user_shared_article

Source for the chart

A pick somewhere between 50-60 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's not a simple equation and many things factor in.  Detroit was obviously disappointed with what they got from them. Ottawa had some trouble jelling that team together and they had some injury issues but they were looking pretty good toward the end of the year. Detroit still has a ton of picks to come. You skipped New Jersey, who got it done. 

We climbed because Cozens came into his own, Mitts improved, Samuelsson also fully developed and we added Power. Peterka and Quinn were inconsistent but decent and even good at times. It's always a combination of things. 

All I'm saying is we are not alone in terms of non playoff teams pressing for those playoff spots. We will have to be even better next year. 

New Jersey is a great one.

They added Marino, who missed 20 games, Palat who had just over 20 points and Vanacek, who was dead average.

And they jumped 60 freaking points!

You don’t need to make big moves, you need to make the right moves, and you need to develop your talent in-house.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

So better by staying the course and letting the players grow.    BUT you want to trade away a bunch of players and all draft picks for a guy they can only afford to pay 1 year?  That’s drunk Tim Murray GMing 

• Disagree 1

On 5/9/2023 at 1:18 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here is a draft day scenario that could play out.  Matvei Michkov is the consensus 3rd or 4th player in the draft.  Some scouts think his skill level rivals that of Bedard.  However he is under contract for the next 3 years in Russia and who knows how long Russia’s invasion of the Ukraine lasts.  Given that back drop there is already talk of him falling in the draft, but how far will he fall.  I quess it would be based on how much the team liked his talent and how patient the GM is willing to be.  

Looking at the draft board, there are two teams ahead of us who are willing to gamble on Russian players.  They are Det @ 9 and Wash @ 8.  However given those two teams are desperate to add talent who will be in the NHL sooner than later.  Wash is getting older as we speak and Det lacks scoring depth now and doesn’t have a huge pipeline to add it.  On the other hand, Buffalo has plenty of current young forward talent and a very patient GM.  We are the one team in the lottery that can truly afford to be patient and we also have a history of drafting Russian through the pandemic and since the war started.

So how far might Michkov fall?  Last season Yurov, who was under contract for last year (and has since signed an extension for next season) fell from the consensus 11th slot to 24th.  Trikozov fell from consensus 34 to 60th.  Miroshenko, who already had been downgraded because of cancer, was a consensus 21st, went 20th to the Russian sanctuary Caps and signed with the Caps already once his KHL season ended.  

Unlike Yurov or Miroshenko, who had 1 year left on their KHL deals when drafted, Michkov’s contract runs through 2025/26.  That’s asking a ton a patience from an NHL team and most of the GM’s drafting in the top 16 likely won’t be the GM by the time Michkov reaches the NHL.  

Based on the mess in Russia and the KHL contract, I can easily seeing him falling to us at 13. 

I didn’t see a negative Russian bias in the covid 2021 or 2020 drafts.

I would absolutely draft him at 13th overall.

He would join the Sabres team as a mostly developed 21-22 year old for the 2025-26 season on a dirt cheap contract for a couple seasons, and an RFA until he is 27.

Assuming he develops into something close to expected, and the Sabres team continues to progress well, injecting a star winger on an ELC contract at a time when the Sabres salary cap is getting very tight could be immeasurably helpful.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

I would absolutely draft him at 13th overall.

He would join the Sabres team as a mostly developed 21-22 year old for the 2025-26 season on a dirt cheap contract for a couple seasons, and an RFA until he is 27.

Assuming he develops into something close to expected, and the Sabres team continues to progress well, injecting a star winger on an ELC contract at a time when the Sabres salary cap is getting very tight could be immeasurably helpful.

If he's there, you have to take him. Even though GASabresIUFAN gave a somewhat plausible scenario where it could happen, I just doubt he drops to 13.

On 5/9/2023 at 5:06 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Could be.  Rotenberg who runs St Petes is a big Putin Supporter and runs the Russian Hockey Federation. He may not want to let Michkov go. It would be interesting if that happened.

I kind of doubt it.  Mitchkov plays for ”Putin’s team”.  SKA St. Petersburg, the former Red Army team, is still fairly closely associated with the government.  I can’t really see them letting him leave early.

Ovi may be considered fairly Putin friendly, but I doubt he holds sway over him.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

If he's there, you have to take him. Even though GASabresIUFAN gave a somewhat plausible scenario where it could happen, I just doubt he drops to 13.

I would suggest that Montreal may take Michkov as well, I think they feel they can wait for him.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

New Jersey is a great one.

They added Marino, who missed 20 games, Palat who had just over 20 points and Vanacek, who was dead average.

And they jumped 60 freaking points!

You don’t need to make big moves, you need to make the right moves, and you need to develop your talent in-house.

Don't forget Hamilton the year before. Key piece. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

So better by staying the course and letting the players grow.    BUT you want to trade away a bunch of players and all draft picks for a guy they can only afford to pay 1 year?  That’s drunk Tim Murray GMing 

What are you talking about??? Where did I say I wanted to trade away all draft picks and a bunch of players for a 1 yr player? Who are you even referring to? 

I've said it a million times, so once more, there is a MIDDLE GROUND. You fill your gaping wide holes by trading a FEW picks or prospects as needed at this point. You don't have to keep acquiring more draft capital forever. You can WIN NOW AND STILL GROW BETTER LONG TERM. It doesn't have to be extreme one way or the other. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/10/2023 at 10:08 PM, PerreaultForever said:

What are you talking about??? Where did I say I wanted to trade away all draft picks and a bunch of players for a 1 yr player? Who are you even referring to? 

I've said it a million times, so once more, there is a MIDDLE GROUND. You fill your gaping wide holes by trading a FEW picks or prospects as needed at this point. You don't have to keep acquiring more draft capital forever. You can WIN NOW AND STILL GROW BETTER LONG TERM. It doesn't have to be extreme one way or the other. 

The D needs some help NOW.  If a pick(s) is somehow needed to get that done, I have no problem with that.  Between the current number of picks in the next 2 drafts, the available cap money (also in the next 2 years) and VO as a trade piece (which also could restock some picks), GMKA has enough options to get some immediate help AND keep the growth strong.

This seems to be the year to do just that! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

With Michkov not going to the draft combine that has to be some red flags for gms.

Maybe provide context next time instead of cable news level statements, just a thought. 

"You are going to the Nashville draft ceremony. And take part in the combine - physical tests before the draft?"

Michkov — "I haven't heard anything about the combine. Most likely I won't be there. And I will go to the draft itself at the end of June. I'm just going to watch the ceremony. It happens once in a lifetime. Just wondering. But I can't share my experience yet. I can’t even imagine what will happen there, and what emotions it will be. When I get back, I can tell you what happened there."

"Would it be fun for you to get into Washington, where there is Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Alekseev, and now Miroshnichenko? You and Vanya Miroshnichenko played for the national team together."

Michkov — "Yes, that would be great. But not everything depends on me. As fate wills, so be it. You just have to be ready for everything. It's probably too early for me to think about America. I am in Russia now. I will do everything possible to gain a foothold in the SKA. This is my main and main task. And my future plans - America or not America - are in my secondary roles. I need to prove myself in Russia. I have to succeed as a player. Score more, give more, benefit the team more."

https://matchtv-ru.translate.goog/hockey/matchtvnews_NI1889377_Matvej_Michkov_Mne_jeshhe_rano_dumat_ob_Amerike_Moja_glavnaja_zadacha__zakrepitsa_v_sostave_SKA?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Maybe provide context next time instead of cable news level statements, just a thought. 

"You are going to the Nashville draft ceremony. And take part in the combine - physical tests before the draft?"

Michkov — "I haven't heard anything about the combine. Most likely I won't be there. And I will go to the draft itself at the end of June. I'm just going to watch the ceremony. It happens once in a lifetime. Just wondering. But I can't share my experience yet. I can’t even imagine what will happen there, and what emotions it will be. When I get back, I can tell you what happened there."

"Would it be fun for you to get into Washington, where there is Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Alekseev, and now Miroshnichenko? You and Vanya Miroshnichenko played for the national team together."

Michkov — "Yes, that would be great. But not everything depends on me. As fate wills, so be it. You just have to be ready for everything. It's probably too early for me to think about America. I am in Russia now. I will do everything possible to gain a foothold in the SKA. This is my main and main task. And my future plans - America or not America - are in my secondary roles. I need to prove myself in Russia. I have to succeed as a player. Score more, give more, benefit the team more."

https://matchtv-ru.translate.goog/hockey/matchtvnews_NI1889377_Matvej_Michkov_Mne_jeshhe_rano_dumat_ob_Amerike_Moja_glavnaja_zadacha__zakrepitsa_v_sostave_SKA?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Michkov is the ultimate wildcard with this draft. The talent is there to be in the same breath as Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson but the Russian factor, the contract and Rumor he might add 2 more years to it, the unknown around his dad’s passing (is there more to the story we will not know about because of Russia)  all have to be weighed by GMs. I have no idea where he is picked. Arizona with 2 top 12 picks, Washington or Detroit are my best bets.

Im intrigued by Pronman’s statement that he is hearing that Benson might be available in the teens because of size. Him and Savoie are dynamite together. I have a hard time believing he falls that far but stranger things have happened at the draft.

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Seeing how it happened a couple of days i thought it be already posted .

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Nothing said in there is going to give any NHL GM a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Maybe he’s just biting his tongue though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.