2023 NHL draft rankings

Crusader1969

20 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

But McDavid has played 8 seasons and never even sniffed that to this point, why is that suddenly going to start now, and how will Chicago get there when their roster and prospect pool outside Bedard are probably both the worst in the NHL? That's not even to mention the franchise which hasn't seen a playoff series since Obama's first term

I'm on a roll, just run with it :😜 

5 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

13th is a decent area for a bunch of talent. 

Agreed.

Buffalo picks by round:

1. 13 OA
  2. 39 OA (from PHI from the Risto trade), 45 OA
  3. 87 OA (from Kings for Portillo's signing rights)
  4. 109 OA
  5. 141 OA
  6. 173 OA
  7. 205 OA

Might be enough to move around a little, but not an overwhelming amount of draft capital.

Unlike, Detroit, btw, who has accumulated the following first and second round picks: 9, 18, 41, 42, 43.  If the ol' draft pick value chart is any accurate (it isn't), 9 and 18 could put them into 2nd overall, but combining all of them couldn't get them to first (which it wouldn't in reality anyways).

We could hypothetically move as far up as about the 5 spot using 13+39+45, not that I'm recommending this.  With what's supposed to be a deepish draft, you probably use the picks and take your chances unless you got someone locked in.

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He plays like a Sabre: fast and relentless.

One of many good choices at 13. We’ll get a shot at players who would have gone around 8th in a more typical draft.

🥴😫

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Hawks had 3 1st rounders last year and have 6 firsts, 8 2nds and 5 3rds to play with over the next 3 years.

They have $41 million in cap space.

And they just got the player of the next decade.

Not every GM is Tim Murray.

Reminds me of our favorite 2013 infographic 

Who's their gm? 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Hockey News predicts: 

13. Buffalo - Eduard Sale, LW, Kometa Brno: The Sabres have an excellent pipeline rolling and it has already paid dividends - Sale can add to that cohort. He's a natural finisher with great speed and a good frame. I thought he looked sharp at the world juniors with Czechia and while his numbers against men back home weren't huge, he's still young.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/instant-mock-draft-bedard-fantilli-michkov-and-more

31 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Sorry but you can not complain that the Sabres won when the prizes were Dahlin and Power 

Dahlin will be as important a 1st over all pick as anyone not named McDavid over the last 10 years 

I wasn't complaining. I love Dahlin and Power. Just seems funny that when the Sabres finally get the #1 pick, the consensus #1 picks are defenseman. But I'm hopeful that Tage becomes our #1 forward pick. I have absolutely no problem with Rasmus and Owen. No complaints whatsoever. 

Edited by Claude Balls
  • Like (+1) 2

13. Buffalo Sabres: Colby Barlow, LW (Owen Sound, OHL)

One of the best pure shooters in the draft, Barlow would be an excellent option for the Sabres’ top six. He’s coming off a whopping 46-goal season as an OHL sophomore and has 76 over the past two seasons, the most of any draft-eligible OHLer. There’s room for his all-around game to grow, especially in defensive activations, but scoring clearly isn’t an issue.

from daily faceoff 

Edited by Crusader1969

Stand pat, make the picks. I'd rather grow the prospect pool beyond the big clubs ability to absorb them all. This strategy affords a 2 pronged approach.

1. Builds young, speedy, aggressive depth, forcing healthy competition for big club roster spots.

2. Some of these picks will fizzle out. Some will fail to make the jump to the next level, but the larger the pool that does, they raise their value creating capitol the organization could use, if prudently done, could sustain us for the next decade as cup contenders.

So stay the course Adams, draft the picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

13. Buffalo Sabres: Colby Barlow, LW (Owen Sound, OHL)

One of the best pure shooters in the draft, Barlow would be an excellent option for the Sabres’ top six. He’s coming off a whopping 46-goal season as an OHL sophomore and has 76 over the past two seasons, the most of any draft-eligible OHLer. There’s room for his all-around game to grow, especially in defensive activations, but scoring clearly isn’t an issue.

from daily faceoff 

Most lists I've seen have him top 10. Sportsnet for example has him at 7. 

Reinbacher will be gone before 13. Of this I am near certain but if he falls you take him.

I know this will be disagreed with by some here but I kind of like Nate Danielson. I can see him becoming the perfect 3rd line 2 way center for us down the road. 

Oh and ya, of course the thing was rigged. I called it for Chicago months ago. Nothing shocking there.

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Stand pat, make the picks. I'd rather grow the prospect pool beyond the big clubs ability to absorb them all. This strategy affords a 2 pronged approach.

1. Builds young, speedy, aggressive depth, forcing healthy competition for big club roster spots.

2. Some of these picks will fizzle out. Some will fail to make the jump to the next level, but the larger the pool that does, they raise their value creating capitol the organization could use, if prudently done, could sustain us for the next decade as cup contenders.

100% agree with this

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

The question is always at what point do you use that capitol and how much do you use at that time? 

Do you not think it's time to make the playoffs now???

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I agree, I don't understand why they don't show the balls fall as the whole card thing is convoluted as all heck.

Drawing four balls and then going to a chart to see who hold that number combination? Yeah, that will be aired live on tv right after the paint drying championship. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

But McDavid has played 8 seasons and never even sniffed that to this point, why is that suddenly going to start now, and how will Chicago get there when their roster and prospect pool outside Bedard are probably both the worst in the NHL? That's not even to mention the franchise which hasn't seen a playoff series since Obama's first term

Sometimes picking high works really well (usually does) but sometimes it doesn't. 

I was surprised looking back at the draft history of Ottawa in their first few years. Starting in 1992 and for the next 5 years, they picked: 2nd overall, 1st overall, 3rd overall, 1st overall , and 1st overall.  3 first overall picks, and 5 years picking in the top 3. What did it get them? Yashin, Daigle (Pronger went next), Bonk, Bryan Berard and Chris Phillps.  

Chicago is lucky to pick in a year where there is a 'generational' talent. Ottawa was just unlucky that they picked that high in a few years where not much came out of those drafts for years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.