NHL Trade Rumors and Speculation 2022-23

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I will give you that His Results have been abysmal to date, but I believe there is urgency behind the scenes to improve the goaltending. 

If there is any truth to the HF Rumors that the Sabres where in pursuit of Gibson and I think there is some smoke there given the fact the Sabres need a goalie and Gibson is Fifth on Frank Seravilli’s Trade Bait Board,  to acquire a starting net minder with Five Years of Team Control would require a large asset in return such as a Top Prospect or the Sabres 2023 First Round Pick. Given that the negotiations supposedly got to the point where Gibson was asked to waive His M-NTC, I believe Adams was willing to move the assets necessary to close the deal which in My Opinion demonstrates urgency to improve the teams goaltending. 

You are certainly more attuned to what's going on the inside more than I am. (Always appreciate your insights and commentary.)  But I am very skeptical that the GM was seriously interested in procuring a goalie with such long term. However, putting aside the Gibson speculation I hope that the GM will demonstrate the urgency that you see in the Gibson scenario that I haven't seen over the past two years. 

The GM has done a marvelous job in assembling a lot of young talent that has a lot of room to grow. That's a good situation to be in. But he will be undercutting this young roster unless he supports it with good/competent netminding. 

36 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He has good relationships with Rutherford and Ron Francis from His Playing Days and does seem to be very personable, so this would not be surprising.

It’s also not surprising that people in his position aren’t universally liked. Especially in hockey where there is still old school versus new school.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are certainly more attuned to what's going on the inside more than I am. (Always appreciate your insights and commentary.)  But I am very skeptical that the GM was seriously interested in procuring a goalie with such long term. However, putting aside the Gibson speculation I hope that the GM will demonstrate the urgency that you see in the Gibson scenario that I haven't seen over the past two years. 

The GM has done a marvelous job in assembling a lot of young talent that has a lot of room to grow. That's a good situation to be in. But he will be undercutting this young roster unless he supports it with good/competent netminding. 

Apparently Gibson refused to waive his no trade clause for Toronto as well.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, tom webster said:

It’s also not surprising that people in his position aren’t universally liked. Especially in hockey where there is still old school versus new school.

It's not even that, it's just a small community so when you fire a bunch of experienced people who in turn have relationships with other experienced people and you then ascend to the throne with a pretty thin resume it gives people an axe to grind.

Then when you have the protracted nonsense with Eichel and his representation it doesn't help and then you go out of your way to say you're looking for a stopgap goalie it's going to be hard to get one because almost nobody wants to be someone else's short term fix. Very few people are looking for a gig where they can immediately look over their shoulder for the goalie the club wants to take your job. If the people you have to talk don't trust you it makes that problem worse.

32 minutes ago, Radar said:

Maybe Husso wanted Detroit and not us. We can't just assume Adams wasn't looking at Husso.

Maybe?

But I was answering your post about free agent goalies "any goalkeeper that would upgrade what we have have not been interested in coming here" .  Comparing Detroit and Buffalo we are in a similar state of re-build.  I believe we should be better than Detroit next season if we get the goal tending figured out.  Husso would have been a good signing.

8 minutes ago, Contempt said:

It's not even that, it's just a small community so when you fire a bunch of experienced people who in turn have relationships with other experienced people and you then ascend to the throne with a pretty thin resume it gives people an axe to grind.

Then when you have the protracted nonsense with Eichel and his representation it doesn't help and then you go out of your way to say you're looking for a stopgap goalie it's going to be hard to get one because almost nobody wants to be someone else's short term fix. Very few people are looking for a gig where they can immediately look over their shoulder for the goalie the club wants to take your job. If the people you have to talk don't trust you it makes that problem worse.

You also have to be careful how much stock you put in to all the “insider” stuff. If it’s true they were working on a deal for Gibson, that runs counter to all the stop gap rumors. 

36 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I would imagine the thought process is if Levi does become the starter in 3 years, His AAV will be low enough that Gibson Contract as a backup would not be prohibitive or Gibson could be moved.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Digger said:

Maybe?

But I was answering your post about free agent goalies "any goalkeeper that would upgrade what we have have not been interested in coming here" .  Comparing Detroit and Buffalo we are in a similar state of re-build.  I believe we should be better than Detroit next season if we get the goal tending figured out.  Husso would have been a good signing.

All this is true. Still players may look at many things. We could be better but maybe Detroit was just more attractive to him for reasons unknown.

14 minutes ago, Radar said:

All this is true. Still players may look at many things. We could be better but maybe Detroit was just more attractive to him for reasons unknown.

Exactly. Everyone assumes that what motivates them motivates others. There are a multitude of reasons people take jobs. Some people want to be close to home, some want to be as far away as possible. Some want big cities, some want rural. Some people love coach X, some people hate coach X, and so on and so on.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I would imagine the thought process is if Levi does become the starter in 3 years, His AAV will be low enough that Gibson Contract as a backup would not be prohibitive or Gibson could be moved.

The complaint that I have voiced before is whether Ullmark or any other goalie was signed for whatever term or AAV that doesn't mean that the goalie couldn't be moved before the end of the contract if another goalie moved up the ranks. It happens all the time in this league. Why leave this team vulnerable or put yourself in situation where the options become limited because of a contract consideration that wasn't outlandish? As you point out in the Gibson example, the team would have the option to trade the goalie if the changing circumstances dictated a change of course.  And if you also consider our bottom level cap situation, the worry about cost and term becomes even less persuasive. It just seems to me that the GM put himself in a vulnerable situation because he was trying to have the market bend to what he wanted to do when he simply didn't have the ability to control the fluid market. The moral of the story is when you paint yourself in a corner then don't complain that you are boxed in. 

Edited by JohnC

I find the whole Gibson thing fascinating. When I first heard people talking about him refusing to waive his no trade clause, I thought they were talking about a couple years ago. The Sabres have loved him since his days with USA hockey.

If rumors about him refusing to waive now are true, like I said in another post, that invalidates all the KA public speak about patience, changes the narrative that they don’t want to spend money, and, also,  is possibly not dead. There might be ways to change his mind.  He might just need a little coddling. A visit from Ryan Miller. Murray wasn’t coming here no matter what. Gibson, who knows. Like I said, just interesting.

9 hours ago, Curt said:

First of all, I doubt Thorny is saying this to make himself feel better.  I doubt he feels good about it at all.

Secondly, Adams has obviously explored many goaltending options.  It seems he, by design, is not willing to pay the prices that have been required so far.

Third, I’ve seen this said on here regarding Husso, and I don’t think it makes sense.  Ville Husso obviously had a real desire to be in Detroit for whatever reason.  He was a UFA who made a back door deal to sign there before he even hit the UFA market.  He probably cost himself money by not testing UFA.

I don’t know exactly why Detroit, but I think it’s in reasonable to think that Buffalo could have just done the same thing with Husso.

I don't know how you can conclude that Husso made a back door deal? For one, that's simply impossible within the rules, and two players don't make their own trades. MAYBE Husso wanted to be in Detroit but until he says that there's no way to draw this conclusion. He was simply given term and money that he wanted and I'm sure his agent advised him of his worth accordingly. We were "linked", which I know means nothing EXCEPT that there were definitely conversations and some form of interest from one if not both sides. Adams was simply outbid just like he was on Ullmark with Boston. He needed to outbid and overpay and he (and/or Terry) isn't willing to do that and so we get no goalie. 

26 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I find the whole Gibson thing fascinating. When I first heard people talking about him refusing to waive his no trade clause, I thought they were talking about a couple years ago. The Sabres have loved him since his days with USA hockey.

If rumors about him refusing to waive now are true, like I said in another post, that invalidates all the KA public speak about patience, changes the narrative that they don’t want to spend money, and, also,  is possibly not dead. There might be ways to change his mind.  He might just need a little coddling. A visit from Ryan Miller. Murray wasn’t coming here no matter what. Gibson, who knows. Like I said, just interesting.

It’s truly interesting seeing as Gibson’s idol was Miller and he would of watched him play for Buffalo. I’d guess it’s more of a lifestyle thing than anything else

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't know how you can conclude that Husso made a back door deal? For one, that's simply impossible within the rules, and two players don't make their own trades. MAYBE Husso wanted to be in Detroit but until he says that there's no way to draw this conclusion. He was simply given term and money that he wanted and I'm sure his agent advised him of his worth accordingly. We were "linked", which I know means nothing EXCEPT that there were definitely conversations and some form of interest from one if not both sides. Adams was simply outbid just like he was on Ullmark with Boston. He needed to outbid and overpay and he (and/or Terry) isn't willing to do that and so we get no goalie. 

Come on man, these guys aren’t dumb, especially Yzerman.  He isn’t trading assets for a guy who is about to be a UFA 2 weeks later unless he knows he can sign him.  That’s why Husso signed less than 24 hours after the trade.  You really believe that these GMs and agents don’t get deals worked out ahead of time?

I think it’s pretty clear that Husso and his agent were at least making it known to teams what it would take to sign him.  It’s possible that if Adams had offered as much Husso would have signed with Buffalo just as he did with Detroit (you have a point there), but I think it’s also possible that Husso was more interested in Detroit for whatever reason.  The abnormal speed and unusual way that this UFA got signed makes me think it was Detroit all the way though.  Can’t prove it obviously.

3 hours ago, Curt said:

Come on man, these guys aren’t dumb, especially Yzerman.  He isn’t trading assets for a guy who is about to be a UFA 2 weeks later unless he knows he can sign him.  That’s why Husso signed less than 24 hours after the trade.  You really believe that these GMs and agents don’t get deals worked out ahead of time?

Absolutely, just look how Murray did with Vesey. 🙂

3 hours ago, Curt said:

I think it’s pretty clear that Husso and his agent were at least making it known to teams what it would take to sign him.  It’s possible that if Adams had offered as much Husso would have signed with Buffalo just as he did with Detroit

This is my point. The agent may have even played the teams off against each other and the number was likely known. Yzerman probably went over the desired number and the trade of the pick allowed him to make the offer without tampering that's all. Adams could have done the same thing only with a slightly higher number.

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Absolutely, just look how Murray did with Vesey. 🙂

This is my point. The agent may have even played the teams off against each other and the number was likely known. Yzerman probably went over the desired number and the trade of the pick allowed him to make the offer without tampering that's all. Adams could have done the same thing only with a slightly higher number.

Yeah, but Murray actually was dumb, drunk or both.

Yeah, I absolutely buy that Adams has been very disciplined about not paying over what he sets as the value of a player.  Looking at it from the outside, it is kind of reminding me of the way that Carolina operates.  I could see that hamstringing the team occasionally but benefiting in the long run.

I don’t know, the whole Husso to Detroit still kind of reeks of a sweetheart deal where it was always going to be Detroit.  He didn’t even get that much.  I think he would have gotten more on the open market.

• Like (+1) 1

The Sabres were willing to take on 15 Million in actual dollars to move from 16 to 7. Per a draft pick value chart from a Seattle Analytics Site, that's a difference of 148 points or the equivalent of a late first round pick. So that probably sets the price to take on salary cap dumps for the team. I think it's a good sign they maybe willing to take actual salary on in a trade for assets. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres were willing to take on 15 Million in actual dollars to move from 16 to 7. Per a draft pick value chart from a Seattle Analytics Site, that's a difference of 148 points or the equivalent of a late first round pick. So that probably sets the price to take on salary cap dumps for the team. I think it's a good sign they maybe willing to take actual salary on in a trade for assets. 

Teams are going to want the big UFAs and not have the cap space to do so. Maybe this is the way KA lands a goalie. The carousel is getting bare, his patience better show some progress within the next few weeks. Our patience is wearing thin.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Yeah, but Murray actually was dumb, drunk or both.

Yeah, I absolutely buy that Adams has been very disciplined about not paying over what he sets as the value of a player.  Looking at it from the outside, it is kind of reminding me of the way that Carolina operates.  I could see that hamstringing the team occasionally but benefiting in the long run.

I think you have nailed it there and I agree. I've mentioned this comparison a few times in different contexts. I think he is entirely trying to follow the Carolina model. How successfully he can follow that remains to be seen. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.