NHL Trade Rumors and Speculation 2022-23

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

And He was at the USNTDP at the same time a certain HC was.

His Analytics say otherwise. Players like Him and Danton Heinen are defensively responsible wingers who would be good support players for the Young Core 

867FFFAD-3C05-4848-B304-32D70AAADCCE.jpeg

The Analytics dont tell the whole story on Milano ask any Ducks fan he's horrible 

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

The Analytics dont tell the whole story on Milano ask any Ducks fan he's horrible 

They tell the part of the story of How to probably deploy players and what roles they maybe better suited for. 

There is a segment of the Sabres Fanbase that believe Asplund is horrible, yet His Defensive Metrics are outstanding and He got Selke Votes, so I do not listen to those fans opinions either

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

They tell the part of the story of How to probably deploy players and what roles they maybe better suited for. 

There is a segment of the Sabres Fanbase that believe Asplund is horrible, yet His Defensive Metrics are outstanding and He got Selke Votes, so I do not listen to those fans opinions either

He's 26 and he didn't  Capitalize on an opportunity in top 6 minutes  

Got a lousy career high of 32 points

And i belive we have enough bottom 6 players 

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He's 26 and he didn't  Capitalize on an opportunity in top 6 minutes  

Got a lousy career high of 32 points

And i belive we have enough bottom 6 players 

Granato’s Players from the USNTDP, all praised His Ability to put them into positions where they can succeed. Granato will have a pretty good idea if He can do the same with Milano. 

Adams plan certainly doesn’t include going after the any Big Name Free Agents. 

Second Tier Players such as Copp or Burakovsky should be realistic targets, but are they going to want to sign here? 

Adams is probably looking for players who will sign one to two year deals who are have a skill set, such as being good forecheckers, that would prevent Mitts and Olofsson from being hemmed in the defensive zone for Their Entire Shift. 

Signing Milano  is an improvement over Hayden, Eakin and would allow them to waive Bjork and on the off chance Quinn or Peterka are not ready to make the jump to the Sabres in October, He provides insurance until they are. 

• Like (+1) 1

From a quick look at Hockey Reference, Milano has been given very skewed offensive zone deployment for his entire career, as high as 76% OZS last season.  And I haven't watched Milano since his draft year but his profile was of a flashy skilled player who needed to round out his overall and defensive game.

Are we sure that those Evolving Hockey numbers aren't a mirage created by his heavy offensive zone usage? 

I know players can adapt their games to carve out a role, but at first glance I'm not seeing the profile of a solid defensively responsible winger.  I'm seeing a "sheltered third scoring line" winger, and I'd much rather see that position be given to one of the kids than Sonny Milano.

Edited by Shootica

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Signing Milano  is an improvement over Hayden, Eakin and would allow them to waive Bjork and on the off chance Quinn or Peterka are not ready to make the jump to the Sabres in October, He provides insurance until they are. 

Hayden was signed to be a potential policeman. If they feel the roster doesn't need one he can be upgraded with just about anyone. Even Lazar (for example). Bjork won't be waived imo because that makes the GM look dumb and GMs never like to allow that sort of thing and they almost always stick by "their" guys. 

10 hours ago, Shootica said:

From a quick look at Hockey Reference, Milano has been given very skewed offensive zone deployment for his entire career, as high as 76% OZS last season.  And I haven't watched Milano since his draft year but his profile was of a flashy skilled player who needed to round out his overall and defensive game.

Are we sure that those Evolving Hockey numbers aren't a mirage created by his heavy offensive zone usage? 

I know players can adapt their games to carve out a role, but at first glance I'm not seeing the profile of a solid defensively responsible winger.  I'm seeing a "sheltered third scoring line" winger, and I'd much rather see that position be given to one of the kids than Sonny Milano.

Micah McCurdy’s Model backs Him as well. 

Andrew Copp and Mason Marchment are better but He is close to Heinen.

Ultimately I do not see the Sabres going in this direction anyways 

From Friedman 

The Flyers have also been considering another move, although they could go in several directions. GM Chuck Fletcher wouldn’t say much about his plans for James van Riemsdyk, but anyone who scores 24 goals has real value. Philadelphia may have to attach a sweetener to do it, but $1M of his $5M cash salary will already be paid via a bonus. Arizona, Buffalo and Seattle have been linked to the winger. 

17 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Flyers have also been considering another move, although they could go in several directions. GM Chuck Fletcher wouldn’t say much about his plans for James van Riemsdyk, but anyone who scores 24 goals has real value. Philadelphia may have to attach a sweetener to do it, but $1M of his $5M cash salary will already be paid via a bonus. Arizona, Buffalo and Seattle have been linked to the winger. 

ryan reynolds hd GIF

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

From Friedman 

I can't tell if Ottawa, Philly, Edmonton, or Chicago is the worse run franchise but I hope it is Chicago.

12 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Anyone who regularly watches the Sabres recognizes that he is one of our best defensive players. You don't have to be an analytical maven to not notice how hard and responsibly he plays. Right now, he is not much of a finisher but he has enough offensive instincts to put himself in a position to get opportunities. So, I do see him contributing more offensively even as a lower line player. And it should be noted that he is excellent on the PK. He is not going to be provide many scoring highlights but without a doubt his teammates and coaches appreciate him his contributions. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

From Friedman 

Hmm.  I’d be ok with this. If he is judged to be a personality fit, take him for free basically and trade him near the deadline for a 1st round pick or whatever.

Cap hit is 7, but he will only be due 4M in actual salary.

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

So, I do see him contributing more offensively even as a lower line player. And it should be noted that he is excellent on the PK. He is not going to be provide many scoring highlights but without a doubt his teammates and coaches appreciate him his contributions. 

He had extremely limited PK time from mid-March on. Many games he wasn’t out there at all on PK. I don’t know if Granato wanted to see others or if Asplund doesn’t really deserve the rep you have him pegged for. 

Edited by bg17

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

ryan reynolds hd GIF

1 hour ago, Contempt said:

So Philly can retain some, we can retain more and flip him again.

With 4 Million in actual dollars remaining on the deal, I imagine they will take the full cap hit to increase the sweetner. 

I would offer their 2023 2nd back in exchange for their 2023 1st.

Or ask for Florida’s 2024 1st which I use as potential trade chip. 

Place Him in position to succeed on the proper line, net front on PP2 and flip Him at the TDL with 50% retained if they are not in a Playoff Position 

23 minutes ago, bg17 said:

He had extremely limited PK time from mid-March on. Many games he wasn’t out there at all on PK. I don’t know if Granato wanted to see others or if Asplund doesn’t really deserve the rep you have him pegged for. 

I'm aligned with @Brawndo's view on Asplund and his value to the team. It goes beyond the stats. I'm confident that the coaches and his teammates recognize his contributions. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.