NHL Trade Rumors and Speculation 2022-23

Brawndo

Robertson played for the Niagara Ice Dogs. Maybe he crossed the border a bunch and likes Buffalo? Maybe he would be a "wants to be here" guy? 

I would not give up a non lottery protected first in 2023 for anybody, but maybe a 2024 pick? He's a good player though. Maybe the prospect cupboard is full enough at the moment and we can add right now? I would welcome it. 

21 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Maybe Portillo changed his mind, or maybe they agreed to take Bob’s contract off Florida’s hands after Knight signed.

Both of these seem highly unlikely, although I think Florida will want to unload Bobrovsky ($10MM per year for this season plus the next 3) by next summer, since they are now locked into $14.5MM per year in cap hit for the goalie position.

33 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Both of these seem highly unlikely, although I think Florida will want to unload Bobrovsky ($10MM per year for this season plus the next 3) by next summer, since they are now locked into $14.5MM per year in cap hit for the goalie position.

I would say the Portillo thing is more likely but then again, I thought they signed Ullmark so what the hell do I know?

• Like (+1) 2

I tend to agree.  If it does happen, though, I bet we'll be awed at how little Kevyn gives up to get him.  Not because I think it's particularly likely that Dallas will cave, but more from the standpoint of if a deal does happen, it's because Kevyn waited the Stars out and they started to get desperate.This would be weaponizing cap space to improve the team.

The most likely scenario though is that Adams won't be able to pry Robertson away from Dallas unless he pays a king's ransom and Kevyn won't do that.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I tend to agree.  If it does happen, though, I bet we'll be awed at how little Kevyn gives up to get him.  Not because I think it's particularly likely that Dallas will cave, but more from the standpoint of if a deal does happen, it's because Kevyn waited the Stars out and they started to get desperate.This would be weaponizing cap space to improve the team.

The most likely scenario though is that Adams won't be able to pry Robertson away from Dallas unless he pays a king's ransom and Kevyn won't do that.

I believe KA's strategy is to get something in return for cap relief, but if Dallas won't give Robertson what he wants and neither camp will budge, I think KA wants Dallas to know the door is open and Buffalo has the assets available to return without further hurting Dallas' cap situation next year for Hintz  (Buffalo could retain for two years on VO for example).

I honestly believe that is the situation we're in.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Robertson is looking for $8-9M?  Has this been reported anywhere?  Source?

Officially, no. Most are referencing this:

Which, in fairness, Weekes is usually pretty accurate even if he's a bit of an oddball.

1 minute ago, RochesterExpat said:

I believe KA's strategy is to get something in return for cap relief, but if Dallas won't give Robertson what he wants and neither camp will budge, I think KA wants Dallas to know the door is open and Buffalo has the assets available to return without further hurting Dallas' cap situation next year for Hintz  (Buffalo could retain for two years on VO for example).

I honestly believe that is the situation we're in.

Officially, no. Most are referencing this:

Which, in fairness, Weekes is usually pretty accurate even if he's a bit of an oddball.

That doesn’t look like a report or rumor.  That’s just Weekes’ personal prediction/opinion.  Seems about right though.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

That doesn’t look like a report or rumor.  That’s just Weekes’ personal prediction/opinion.  Seems about right though.

Agreed. That's why I said there hasn't been any official number. Technically the closest to an 'officially' number is $7m as referenced by the Dallas Stars owner, Gaglardi, when he was complaining about handing out big contracts on expiring ELCs. People already posted the quote, but it's worth adding the whole quote because the last bit that's always left out is pretty important.

"A kid in the third year of his entry-level (deal) puts up 40 goals and now he wants to make $7 million," he said. "If you want term with that player, he's going to take you higher than that. … The stars are taking all the money, and the guys in the middle are getting squeezed."He added, "I think there's a lot of players in the league making a million dollars who are better players, and then the guys who can put the puck in the net are getting too big a piece of the pie. … I don't like it, but that's the market, and that's the way it works."

7 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I'd also note that including Johnson and/or Portillo in any trade isn't really meaningful unless Dallas knows at the time of the trade that the player will sign with them, which is pretty unlikely.

In any event, I'd guess that there is less than a 5% chance that Dallas trades him.  He's young, under their control and turning into a star.  Trading him would be a really dumb move.

I think Portillo would have no value to them as he wouldn't sign -- they already have Oettinger. Johnson would likely sign and is an intriguing trade piece. IMO trading away Robertson would be a massive blunder by Dallas. This owner sounds like an airhead. Regardless here is a trade proposal I've come up with that I could live with:

1. Khudobin + Robertson = Johnson + Olofsson + Krebs + Quinn/Peterka

alternatively if Dallas wants to keep Khudobin

2. Robertson = Savoie + Krebs + Johnson + 1st round pick lotto protected

IMO our best prospects available for trade are Savoie, Cozens, Quinn, and Peterka (I'm not including Power, he's not getting traded). Frankly I'm not interested in giving away two or more of them. One of them, 2 B level prospects and a roster player is a fair trade. I see a lot of people in this thread saying Robertson is worth Power or the equivalent makeup of those aforementioned 4 guys, but I think the brakes need to be pumped. If Eichel, a better player (with a significant injury, I admit) only gets you Krebs, Tuch, and a mid 1st, Robertson isn't getting you much more than that.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, NAF said:

I think Portillo would have no value to them as he wouldn't sign -- they already have Oettinger. Johnson would likely sign and is an intriguing trade piece. IMO trading away Robertson would be a massive blunder by Dallas. This owner sounds like an airhead. Regardless here is a trade proposal I've come up with that I could live with:

IMO our best prospects available for trade are Savoie, Cozens, Quinn, and Peterka (I'm not including Power, he's not getting traded). Frankly I'm not interested in giving away two or more of them. One of them, 2 B level prospects and a roster player is a fair trade. I see a lot of people in this thread saying Robertson is worth Power or the equivalent makeup of those aforementioned 4 guys, but I think the brakes need to be pumped. If Eichel, a better player (with a significant injury, I admit) only gets you Krebs, Tuch, and a mid 1st, Robertson isn't getting you much more than that.

Not happening, we should not pay more than what Fiala got in a trade.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

You click  The re-tweet or  Hit the button if you have a phone

I didn't. I read the post some one posted here. I clicked nothing because there is no story depending on clicks to get ad revenue to click. 

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

What did Fiala get?

Edited by LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

47 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

are you saying Robertson is better and worth more in a trade because he didn't have a player like Kane?

Fiala and DeBrincat are both older and had less team control at the time them were moved. 

Also the Sabres Analytics Department is going to look at the fact that Robertson is an elite play driver compared to those two.

He already is what the Sabres hope Peterka and Quinn become, the later has a better chance of doing so imo. 

The major downsides are the assets to acquire and the cost of His New Deal, although with the cap going up that's less of a concern. 

I still think a major trade like this is a year away for the Sabres. 

8 hours ago, NAF said:

IMO our best prospects available for trade are Savoie, Cozens, Quinn, and Peterka 

I personally would not give up Savoie. I see great potential there. I'm more inclined to give up Quinn or Peterka simply because I've seen less from them that has impressed me but then again I don't watch AHL hockey. Point being though I'm less attached to them at this point. Unlike many I don't believe they are guaranteed to be good. I'm also not giving up a 2023 1st. 

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I didn't. I read the post some one posted here. I clicked nothing because there is no story depending on clicks to get ad revenue to click. 

What did Fiala get?

Brock faber and 19th overall pick in 2022.     Minnesota just like Dallas was up against the cap this year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Dallas was stupid for trading away Bishop and lost out on the chance to use his LTIR cap relief.  If I'm Adams I go back to Dallas and offer Bishop, Bjork and Pilut in exchange for Hakanpaa and Gurianov.  It gives Dallas cap space and LTIR relief to be able to sign Robertson long term.

It’s been repeated here many times, but having a player on LTIR doesn’t give a team “extra” cap space.  You don’t get any cap relief from LTIR until you are already over the cap.

Dallas can not simply acquire a player who will be on LTIR and then suddenly have the cap space to sign Robertson.

If that was how it worked, contending teams would constantly be trying to acquire LTIR contracts so they could keep all their stud players or sign a high priced UFA even if they are already over the cap.  They don’t because that’s not how it works.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.