Sabres sign Josh Bloom to His ELC, Will Report to the Amerks on an ATO

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres sign Josh Bloom to His ELC, Will Report to the Amerks on an ATO
Just now, dudacek said:

Not eligible for AHL next year

That’s what I thought when I looked it up for the Rochester thread.  If I remember correctly only Kozak of the CHL players from Bloom’s draft class is eligible for A next season.

I’m happy for Bloom.  I thought he was drafted to early, but Bloom has really blossomed this season.  I’m really looking forward to seeing how Bloom, Nadeau and Kozak build on their excellent junior seasons.  We could really use the forward depth over the next couple years.

9 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Please educate me as I don't know this area at all.  If he cannot play in the AHL and he's not ready for the NHL yet, where might he end up playing next season?

The minimum age for the AHL is 18.  However the CHL and NHL have a side agreement that keeps CHL kids in the CHL until basically they are 20.  The cut off is 12/31. In our recent draft class Kozak was born 12/29/02 and therefore is eligible for the A next year, while Nadeau, born 1/15/03 isn’t.  The exceptions are a CHL player can suit up in the A upon completion of his CHL team’s season and if they are foreign players on loan to the CHL.  Alex Nylander was one such player on a loan. The last exception is a player under 20 can go to the A if they have completed 4 CHL seasons.  

Of course, a signed player can skip the AHL altogether and go straight to the NHL.  There are no age limitations.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s what I thought when I looked it up for the Rochester thread.  If I remember correctly only Kozak of the CHL players from Bloom’s draft class is eligible for A next season.

I’m happy for Bloom.  I thought he was drafted to early, but Bloom has really blossomed this season.  I’m really looking forward to seeing how Bloom, Nadeau and Kozak build on their excellent junior seasons.  We could really use the forward depth over the next couple years.

Did he blossom or did he bloom?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

And this is the biggest difference between junior kids and college kids.

Bloom can sign and go back to juniors next year.

If Levi, Portillo, Johnson etc sign then they have to turn pro immediately and forfeit their college rights.

With college NIL deals I wonder if that will affect college kids signing pro deals in the future.

Kid is 6’2, 180 pounds, fast at lighting, scored 30 goals on a last place team, wears a letter, plays with grit, no issue dropping the gloves when required and is only 18.

Very very raw, especially after missing a year when OHL was closed…..let’s hope Sabres don’t rush anything as he has lots of time to flourish if handled properly.

Long time (1 OHL plus 2 AHL) before ready to compete for a spot but I cautiously like the upside

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Johnny Utah said:

Kid is 6’2, 180 pounds, fast at lighting, scored 30 goals on a last place team, wears a letter, plays with grit, no issue dropping the gloves when required and is only 18.

Very very raw, especially after missing a year when OHL was closed…..let’s hope Sabres don’t rush anything as he has lots of time to flourish if handled properly.

Long time (1 OHL plus 2 AHL) before ready to compete for a spot but I cautiously like the upside

This is almost exactly what I was going to say about Bloom.

The only thing I’ll add is that 7 of his goals were shorthanded. Drafted as a winger, he has played C this year. In about 3 years he might be the 4C on the Sabres. The centre spine might change but there is some talent ahead of him. He may also move to the wing at the professional level and could become a middle six guy.

• Like (+1) 1

Looks like he took over 300 faceoffs so a little bit of C in there but Saginaw liked him on the wing for his speed and his ability to play both LW and RW. My friend told me that when Saginaw was going thru an injury/Covid period he also played D in 8 games. Sounds pretty versatile or just prepared to play wherever the Coach asks to help get the W

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.