Is Rasmus Asplund good?

LGR4GM

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

Asplund will be lucky if he scores 10.

His career high is literally 10 in any pro league. (Started playing pro at age 16 in Sweden)

I'm putting together a fourth line of Asplund/Gergs/Okposo. Within that group if Asplund scores 10 to 12, and Gergs scores 10 to 12 and Okposo scores around 15 goals I would be more than satisfied with their goal production along with their defensive prowess. If you add Quinn and JJ to the mix you are starting to have enough players to assemble two lines beyond the first that has scoring potential. Mitts, Cozens, Olofsson, Quinn, JJ. Krebs, Hinostroza and maybe another player brought in. The pieces are starting to fall in place to make this team a more serious team in the not-too-distant future. With a couple to a few smart personnel moves my time frame is next year. 

• Like (+1) 2

I guess I’ve kinda been assuming that Quinn would take Vinny’s spot with Cozens and Krebs, Vinny or JJP would take Asplund’s spot with Mitts and VO, and Asplund would take Eakin’s spot with Zemgus and KO.

Skinner-TT-Tuch

Krebs-Cozens-Quinn

VO-Mitts-JJP/Vinnie

Asplund-Zemgus-KO

• Like (+1) 3

Asplund and Zemgus are the kind of forwards every team needs. Ideally suited for defensive roles, they can hold their own in the top six when needed, contribute offensively and they won’t complain if circumstances dictate one game they play little, next game they seem like they are out there continuously. They are not JAG’s.

• Like (+1) 9

I think Asplund is good and can be better.

I expect him to be a 4th line, penalty kill, defensive shutdown guy on a playoff team.

Whether that's at C or W I donno yet.  

On 4/10/2022 at 7:51 AM, nfreeman said:

I guess I’ve kinda been assuming that Quinn would take Vinny’s spot with Cozens and Krebs, Vinny or JJP would take Asplund’s spot with Mitts and VO, and Asplund would take Eakin’s spot with Zemgus and KO.

Skinner-TT-Tuch

Krebs-Cozens-Quinn

VO-Mitts-JJP/Vinnie

Asplund-Zemgus-KO

JJ flippin pucks into VOs wheelhouse a few times a game? Yes please! 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/9/2022 at 8:23 AM, Brawndo said:

Asplund is the Sabres Best Defensive Forward. His ability to keep the puck in the Offensive Zone and retrieve the puck back from the opponent has helped to turn the Mitts Line around.

EvolvingWild, hockey analytics website, picks three under the radar candidates for the Selke Award and Asplund is in Their Top 3. 

That’s a joke. 

Everyone knows you need to be a top scoring forward to win that trophy. Barkov, Kopitar, Bergeron, Datsyuk. 

Just like the best defenseman doesnt win the Norris, either, unless they have put up a lot of points. 

7 hours ago, The Ghost of NS said:

That’s a joke. 

Everyone knows you need to be a top scoring forward to win that trophy. Barkov, Kopitar, Bergeron, Datsyuk. 

Just like the best defenseman doesnt win the Norris, either, unless they have put up a lot of points. 

That trophy was originally given to the Gainey, Ramsay types, who were known as top checkers and embraced that role. It has evolved into a consolation prize for top forwards who will never win an Art Ross or a Hart.

The Norris is basically the defence version of the Art Ross. Rod Langway was the outlier I remember.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/9/2022 at 3:57 PM, Getpucksdeep said:

Curtis Brown?

On 4/9/2022 at 5:12 PM, Weave said:

Brown had more offensive upside.

I would love if Asplund became a CB level player, but I just don't see that happening.  If he has a long NHL career it will be as a 4th line shutdown role, but at this point I can't see him as more effective than a healthy Girgs or Larsson.  Larsson had an edge that allowed him to play big, and I haven't seen that from Asplund yet. IMO he needs to establish himself as a reliable faceoff guy to have a chance to extend his career in this league.  

• Like (+1) 3

I've been on the fence about Asplund all year wondering if we should try to move him but I've cooled on that somewhat. I recognize he has a lot of value with his defensive game but he's also a black hole of scoring and he has to learn how to finish even a small percentage of his chances. He's been playing with mittlestat, who is a set-up man and I've seen him miss on so many chances. If Mitts is playing with a finisher we'd be putting more pucks in the net. I'm hoping that next year with Quinn and JJ and maybe some other acquisition he'll move to center GIrgensons & Okposo (replace Eakin). 

On a good team, he should be on a 4th line shutdown role. As mentioned above, if he could learn to get better at faceoffs that would really help to round out his game. 

I'd take Cirelli over Asplund any day:

image.thumb.png.10344bb4eceb64abfe12e1b2e2937904.png

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Brawndo said:

And every line He has been on this season has seen  an immediate uptick in offense production 

So he's Tuch, Jr.?  Tuch seems to drive offense too, even if he's not scoring goals himself.

I kind of like the variation of skills in the forwards right now.  You don't want everyone trying to be a top scorer, you need role players too.

I'd take Asplund over Larsson at equivalent points in their careers. 

I never understood the Larsson love around here. To me he was pure tank material. Whereas Asplund can be a value-add 4th line defensive-minded forward who chips in on driving some offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Sakman said:

I'd take Asplund over Larsson at equivalent points in their careers. 

I never understood the Larsson love around here. To me he was pure tank material. Whereas Asplund can be a value-add 4th line defensive-minded forward who chips in on driving some offense. 

I like Asplund more than Larry as well. He skates better and seems to have more creativity, he just needs to bury a few more pucks.

I would like to see him work on his draws and become a versatile 4th liner who can move up to fill in.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 4/14/2022 at 8:33 AM, Mustache of God said:

I've been on the fence about Asplund all year wondering if we should try to move him but I've cooled on that somewhat. I recognize he has a lot of value with his defensive game but he's also a black hole of scoring and he has to learn how to finish even a small percentage of his chances. He's been playing with mittlestat, who is a set-up man and I've seen him miss on so many chances. If Mitts is playing with a finisher we'd be putting more pucks in the net. I'm hoping that next year with Quinn and JJ and maybe some other acquisition he'll move to center GIrgensons & Okposo (replace Eakin). 

On a good team, he should be on a 4th line shutdown role. As mentioned above, if he could learn to get better at faceoffs that would really help to round out his game. 

I'd take Cirelli over Asplund any day:

image.thumb.png.10344bb4eceb64abfe12e1b2e2937904.png

Said everyone. Ever.  

I believe the comp was on their defensive prowess.  It’s why one will cost 2.5 mill and the other 7 mill.  

It's amazing.  I think there are a whole bunch of players that contribute to this team that the casual fan doesn't recognize.  They're not scoring?  They must suck!  No, not necessarily.  There are lots of contributions a player can make without earning goals and assists.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/10/2022 at 10:12 AM, JohnC said:

I'm putting together a fourth line of Asplund/Gergs/Okposo. Within that group if Asplund scores 10 to 12, and Gergs scores 10 to 12 and Okposo scores around 15 goals I would be more than satisfied with their goal production along with their defensive prowess. If you add Quinn and JJ to the mix you are starting to have enough players to assemble two lines beyond the first that has scoring potential. Mitts, Cozens, Olofsson, Quinn, JJ. Krebs, Hinostroza and maybe another player brought in. The pieces are starting to fall in place to make this team a more serious team in the not-too-distant future. With a couple to a few smart personnel moves my time frame is next year. 

The ONLY problem w/ that line is Girgensons is much better at W and Asplund hasn't shown he can play C at the NHL level yet either.

Which is a big part of why my expectation is they go outside for a 4C.  They can bounce Okposo &/or Asplund up a line or 2 when necessary due to injuries or matchups & when 1 of the 4 are out w/ injury they still have a serviceable/good 4th line.  They can even make one of those 4 not named Okposo the odd man out should everyone be healthy & Peterka has finally earned his spot on the roster.

Such a nice & very different position to be in.  Having more than 12 guys that can actually play NHL quality hockey up front.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

The ONLY problem w/ that line is Girgensons is much better at W and Asplund hasn't shown he can play C at the NHL level yet either.

Which is a big part of why my expectation is they go outside for a 4C.  They can bounce Okposo &/or Asplund up a line or 2 when necessary due to injuries or matchups & when 1 of the 4 are out w/ injury they still have a serviceable/good 4th line.  They can even make one of those 4 not named Okposo the odd man out should everyone be healthy & Peterka has finally earned his spot on the roster.

Such a nice & very different position to be in.  Having more than 12 guys that can actually play NHL quality hockey up front.

Due to Okposo's offensive production I'm coming around to moving KO up to a higher line and then filling out the line with another grinder. I'm not worried about whether Girgs or Asplund is more suited to the center or wing position because of the nature of their roles. I would have no problem with them periodically exchanging positions. 

As you point out you can see the talent base growing to the point where there are options and flexibility within and among the lines because of the depth. As an example Mitts has played center and wing, as has Krebs. And with the increase in talent injuries won't be as depleting to the roster as it was this season. 

There are players on this roster who are unsung players because their offensive stats are not very impressive. I put Asplund and Girgs in that category. What they contribute can't be measured so it accurately reflects their contribution. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

• LGR4GM locked this topic