Official Sabres Sign First Overall Pick in 2021 Owen Power to His ELC/Debut Is Tentatively Scheduled versus TML on 4/12

Brawndo

27 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I thought I just posted this but somehow the thread just disappeared? Anyways....

The studio guys on ncaa last night said 8-9 Wolverines were expected to go pro. There's only 13 so who's staying? 

Brisson, Edwards, Sameskevich, Beecher? 

Now that Power is signed, the one to worry about is Portillo.  Despite the Wolverines disappointing loss to Denver at the Frozen Four, Portillo looked extremely good.  I think he's ready for Rochester if he wants to turn pro.  I'm a huge Michigan fan and will say that THIS was their year.  Their loss was a huge letdown.  They will be very talented again next year and have a shot to be in the NCAA Tournament, but next year's team will not come close to this year's in talent.  If Portillo is staying for another shot at the NCAA title, he's probably better off turning pro now.  If he is staying because he wants to finish his degree or wants another year of the college experience, then so be it.  Michigan's loss last night reminded me a little bit of the Bills loss in the playoffs this year.  I believe that both teams were the most talented teams and should have won the championship, but fell short in their final playoff game and just didn't get it done.

I have watched the last 3 Michigan games and Power has not stood out like you'd expect the #1 overall player to play against other college kids.  Perhaps it's just fatigue.  Also, some guys are actually better at the NHL level then they show in college or the AHL (for whatever reason).  Let's hope he eventually plays in the NHL like a #1 overall pick should play.  I'm glad he's on board and moving forward.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Now that Power is signed, the one to worry about is Portillo.  Despite the Wolverines disappointing loss to Denver at the Frozen Four, Portillo looked extremely good.  I think he's ready for Rochester if he wants to turn pro.  I'm a huge Michigan fan and will say that THIS was their year.  Their loss was a huge letdown.  They will be very talented again next year and have a shot to be in the NCAA Tournament, but next year's team will not come close to this year's in talent.  If Portillo is staying for another shot at the NCAA title, he's probably better off turning pro now.  If he is staying because he wants to finish his degree or wants another year of the college experience, then so be it.  Michigan's loss last night reminded me a little bit of the Bills loss in the playoffs this year.  I believe that both teams were the most talented teams and should have won the championship, but fell short in their final playoff game and just didn't get it done.

I have watched the last 3 Michigan games and Power has not stood out like you'd expect the #1 overall player to play against other college kids.  Perhaps it's just fatigue.  Also, some guys are actually better at the NHL level then they show in college or the AHL (for whatever reason).  Let's hope he eventually plays in the NHL like a #1 overall pick should play.

As a Michigan fan, who do you think stays for sure? 

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

Wasn’t that a Heinz ketchup commercial?

LOL .   Yes it was.  But is was a 70's pop rock song before that.   Many of the artists of that time did not own the rights to their music so their songs sometime got sold to advertiser's, I am not sure if that was case here or not.   

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I'm glad he's coming, but we shouldn't expect too much right away.  He's a rookie, he doesn't play a flashy game and he's probably pretty fried from an action-packed year that included traveling to China for the Olympics and the emotional roller coaster of the NCAA tournament, losing in the Frozen 4 and saying goodbye to his Michigan team.

Think rookie Aaron Ekblad, not current Cale Makar.

I would be happy with rookie Ekblad next season.  He had a Calder Trophy year and is a stud back there for Florida.  

What is the ceiling for Power?  

21 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I would be happy with rookie Ekblad next season.  He had a Calder Trophy year and is a stud back there for Florida.  

What is the ceiling for Power?  

Wins rookie of the year and signs a massive contract and  regresses

Oh wait that was myers .

I'm just kidding everyone

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Wins rookie of the year and signs a massive contract and  regresses

Oh wait that was myers .

I'm just kidding everyone

Don’t worry, Owen will be the third or fourth best player playing in the NHL from this years Michigan team. 

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s limited. Extremely. 

Just now, Buffalonill said:

Lets hope he chips in 30 points for our playoff run next year 

I’d consider that a huge success. The only way we don’t hear about how the Sabres ***** up drafting Power, despite being a consensus #1, is if the Sabres are good next season. 

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

LOL .   Yes it was.  But is was a 70's pop rock song before that.   Many of the artists of that time did not own the rights to their music so their songs sometime got sold to advertiser's, I am not sure if that was case here or not.  

Many artists still license their music out for commercials.  For emerging artists it's one way to get their music out there.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Carly wrote and owns her music.  She wrote this song because Cat Stevens was late coming over to her home for dinner.  I’m sure she sold the rights to her song to Heinz for considerable $.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

As a Michigan fan, who do you think stays for sure? 

It's a good question and I don't know the answer.  My guess is that all of the first round guys will leave, except Hughes, as he's only a freshman.  I think he wants more time in school to grow and develop his game and also a chance to be "the guy" and a Hobey Baker candidate next year.

I'd like to see Portillo sign with the Sabres, but I get the feeling he's going to stay another year.  With Levi staying in school and UPL looking at a full-time NHL role next year, if Portillo wants to be a part of the Sabres organization, it may behoove him to leave now and grab the Rochester spot while it's "available" and make a name for himself in the organization before Levi comes in the future.  I would be something for the Sabres if all three young goalies panned out.  It would be a good problem to have.  A similar situation in Florida is what led to Levi being traded to Buffalo in the first place.

Edited by msw2112
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

He's gonna take 2-3 years to develop, just keep that in mind.

For what it's worth, a lot of the taller skilled players do take time to develop.  Examples would be Chara and Hedman on defense, and the Sabres' own Tage Thompson on offense.  The counter example would be the Sabres' former own Tyler Myers, who won the rookie of the year and then regressed for a few years before getting back on track as a solid, but not great, veteran defenseman.  Power has looked great against grown men in international competition.  I have only watched a few Michigan games (namely the tournament games in the last couple of weeks) and Power has looked solid, but not spectacular.  In watching the games, it didn't seem that he was dominant or the obvious best player on the ice, as you might expect from a #1 overall draft pick.  He certainly didn't "take over the game" in the NCAA Tournament as top players often do. 

And nobody wants him to succeed more than me - he played for my favorite college team (my alma mater) and my favorite pro team (my hometown team).  I'm just trying to be objective based on what I saw.  Perhaps my sample size isn't big enough to make a judgment.  I really hope he develops, becomes great, and lives up to his draft status.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.