GDT: 3/13/2022, Leafs @ Sabres, 4pm on Sportsnet and TNT 📺

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

It's called bad management.  Murray was bad.  Botterill was bad.  

So far Adams score card looks good:   (1) Granato hire;  (2) getting Tuch/Krebs/#1 pick for Eichel in a tough situation;  (3) the Risto trade could be another positive when we see the results;   (4) The Reinhart trade, while it was hard to lose a player like Sam, Levi could be special.  

Adams is coming up to a very important off season.  He must improve the team to take another step up, bring fans back, and continue to add to the development pipeline all while not screwing up the cap.  

I would argue that the Risto trade was a positive because I don't have to watch all his gaffes.  IMHO, every Sabres D this year has been better than he was.

But as you said, he has some very stern tests coming.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

It's called bad management.  Murray was bad.  Botterill was bad.  

So far Adams score card looks good:   (1) Granato hire;  (2) getting Tuch/Krebs/#1 pick for Eichel in a tough situation;  (3) the Risto trade could be another positive when we see the results;   (4) The Reinhart trade, while it was hard to lose a player like Sam, Levi could be special.  

Adams is coming up to a very important off season.  He must improve the team to take another step up, bring fans back, and continue to add to the development pipeline all while not screwing up the cap.  

If KA is willing to judiciously use his abundant assets in cap space and draft picks I believe he can quicken the speed of the choo choo train on the tracks of this rebuild. If he can add two to three solid to good players to the two to three young players already in the system (Quinn, Peterka and Power)this team can compete for a fringe playoff spot. That would be a refreshing change from being a predictable bottom feeding before the season even starts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Any job interview Jason Botterill has in the future he needs to be asked what on earth he was thinking hiring RK to coach the Sabres. Then he needs to be shown the door and never hired for a front office position again.

You bring up an interesting question: Was it Botterill or the Pegulas most enamored with the articulate dispatched coach? My understanding is that with the Bills the owners made the selection. Terry P flubbed it with Rex but got it right with McDermott. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

You bring up an interesting question: Was it Botterill or the Pegulas most enamored with the articulate dispatched coach? My understanding is that with the Bills the owners made the selection. Terry P flubbed it with Rex but got it right with McDermott. 

I think I read that Botterill’s father knew Krueger. They are both from Winnipeg.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I think I read that Botterill’s father knew Krueger. They are both from Winnipeg.

I don't doubt that. But my understanding when it gets to the stage of finalists the owner is in the room and ultimately the decider.

At the time, I heard rumours that Krueger was who Botterill wanted when Housley got the job, but XHCRK could not get out of his contract.  His name came up again when Housley got fired.  Moreover, it seems unlikely to me that the Pegulas brought in Krueger on their own or, even less likely, over the GM's objections.  IMHO, at the absolute least Botterill was OK with Krueger being brought in for an interview.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I thought it was Botterill's connection that brought Ralph to consideration. Of course Terry signs off on hires.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

He may get chances because others may attribute his failure due to the organizational tire fire. He cannot hide from his role in the fire, however.

Funny how narratives change. At the start of the year no one would push back if you said "well, the Sabres. What do you expect?" Now you have Granato energizing players written off as duds under Botterill and Jack dropping his drawers to the media and perceptions change.

5 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Is Giordano a FA after this season?  Would he be worth a looksy?  If Adams could grab him it might put him up in Bean stratosphere... just not sure of $s

He is - but i think he'd want a contender.  Plus they would want picks.  Since we're rebuilding i doubt we trade picks for an exprining.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't doubt that. But my understanding when it gets to the stage of finalists the owner is in the room and ultimately the decider.

No.  The GM owns the coaching hire, full stop, unless there is serious reason to believe that the owner was making the call over his head.

In this case we have a family connection between Botterill and Krueger, as well as rumors that Krueger was a very serious candidate before Housley was hired.  I think it’s safe to give Botterill full credit.

Of course it’s totally reasonable that the owner has an interview, as he was the one who would be writing $20M+ in checks, but I would think that in most cases, the owner would just be looking for any reason why this might be a big mistake.  I’m sure that Krueger interviews spectacularly, so no surprise that no alarm bells rang.

Bottom line, I don’t see how Botterill could be absolved of the Krueger hire.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Curt said:

No.  The GM owns the coaching hire, full stop, unless there is serious reason to believe that the owner was making the call over his head.

In this case we have a family connection between Botterill and Krueger, as well as rumors that Krueger was a very serious candidate before Housley was hired.  I think it’s safe to give Botterill full credit.

Of course it’s totally reasonable that the owner has an interview, as he was the one who would be writing $20M+ in checks, but I would think that in most cases, the owner would just be looking for any reason why this might be a big mistake.  I’m sure that Krueger interviews spectacularly, so no surprise that no alarm bells rang.

Bottom line, I don’t see how Botterill could be absolved of the Krueger hire.

When Pegula bought the Bills he was the person who signed Rex Ryan after a number of interviews to be the head coach. When he was asked why he preferred Rex he said he wanted to make this nondescript franchise more relevant. Rex was for the most part a Pegula hire.

I have no doubt that it was Botterill who brought Krueger to the owner's attention. And I have no doubt that the owner was in the room when the main candidates for the GM position were interviewed. It likely that Botterill was the main influence in the Krueger hire. As you noted he had the connection to him. But Pegula was also involved in interviewing the finalists. And as you noted because he signed the checks he was the one who signed off on the decision to hire him. Neither Botts or the owner should be absolved of that terrible decision. And in my opinion the owner should have stepped in sooner last year to fire the coach when the team clearly quit on him.  

Just now, JohnC said:

When Pegula bought the Bills he was the person who signed Rex Ryan after a number of interviews to be the head coach. When he was asked why he preferred Rex he said he wanted to make this nondescript franchise more relevant. Rex was for the most part a Pegula hire.

I have no doubt that it was Botterill who brought Krueger to the owner's attention. And I have no doubt that the owner was in the room when the main candidates for the GM position were interviewed. It likely that Botterill was the main influence in the Krueger hire. As you noted he had the connection to him. But Pegula was also involved in interviewing the finalists. And as you noted because he signed the checks he was the one who signed off on the decision to hire him. Neither Botts or the owner should be absolved of that terrible decision. And in my opinion the owner should have stepped in sooner last year to fire the coach when the team clearly quit on him.  

I'm fairly certain the owner didn't want to fire the coach last year. I think it took Adams flying to Florida to say it must happen for it to happen.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I'm fairly certain the owner didn't want to fire the coach last year. I think it took Adams flying to Florida to say it must happen for it to happen.

I agree with you that it was Adams who convinced the owner to fire Krueger. And that reluctance to fire Krueger sooner rather than later was another one of the owner's bad decisions. I give Adams credit for putting in the effort to coax the owner to do what he was hesitant to do. My opinion is that the owner got tired of paying people who were no longer working for him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.