GDT: 3/13/2022, Leafs @ Sabres, 4pm on Sportsnet and TNT 📺

LGR4GM

49 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Does anybody really miss Jack? Or Sam? Or Risto? I am so glad they did what they did with the team. They are fast, entertaining, and even have heart!!! When was the last time we could say that?  Probably back when we had Danny Briere Peca etc...

As for announcers, up here in Canada we had Sportsnet guys trying their best to make the Leafs sound good and the Sabres whatever. Toronto is starved for any kind of success from their hockey team and again this year the team started great and got their hopes up. Now it seems they are on the same path as every other year. Clearly defensively they are a mess and are spending far too  much on a few guys (and an aging Traveres at 10 or 11 mill is absurd). They play with absolutely no defensive system and of course they always blame goaltending. 

One way or the other, what  great win (again). 

I  miss Reinhart

• Like (+1) 5

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

Of all the posts in this thread your posting of a picture of you and your son at this game was the coolest. Although the both of you probably froze your arses off, you and he will never forget this event. 

Oh we watched on TV but we went to the last one against the Rangers at Citifield and it was a lot colder, -2, and yeh great memories but cold.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Does anybody really miss Jack? Or Sam? Or Risto? I am so glad they did what they did with the team. They are fast, entertaining, and even have heart!!! When was the last time we could say that?  Probably back when we had Danny Briere Peca etc...

As for announcers, up here in Canada we had Sportsnet guys trying their best to make the Leafs sound good and the Sabres whatever. Toronto is starved for any kind of success from their hockey team and again this year the team started great and got their hopes up. Now it seems they are on the same path as every other year. Clearly defensively they are a mess and are spending far too  much on a few guys (and an aging Traveres at 10 or 11 mill is absurd). They play with absolutely no defensive system and of course they always blame goaltending. 

The US crew on TNT sounded more like the Leafs crew. Non-stop Matthews tongue bath until it was obvious the Sabres were going to win. That and long stories from Gretzky while play was on.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SDS said:

Did you watch the same broadcast as we did?

I watched the TNT feed.  I thought it was fine except for too many old stories that weren’t interrupted even when there was a breakaway.  I certainly didn’t think it warranted eating up over half of the GDT for a great win. 

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Another one of those games that could make fans fall in love with this team again.

Two in a row like that haven’t happened very often this dark decade.

Let's try to remember today the next time they lose. Tough west coast trip coming up. I suppose a loss to EDM wouldn't be the worst thing. They are chasing VGK.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, woods-racer said:

Quite possibly the worst professional sports game ever announced. A some what cool podcast to listen to with old Wayne-isms , maybe. 

Three and a half hours of Rob Ray ? Yes, please. I down loaded the WGR app hoping he was calling the game. I was so disappointed.

Found out the free NHL app has the game audio. And WGR had it's issues. They didn't send Dunleavy and Ray to Hamilton. (Okay, I get a west coast trip, but to Hamilton??) And the ambient sound feed from the stadium was broken so they had a sfx loop of hockey sounds playing in the background, even when play was stopped. It was ridiculous.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I watched the TNT feed.  I thought it was fine except for too many old stories that weren’t interrupted even when there was a breakaway.  I certainly didn’t think it warranted eating up over half of the GDT for a great win. 

it was painful to listen to and took away from a great game to watch as a Sabre fan. I had volume off  after I couldn't take anymore. At one point Sabres had 3 really good scoring chances and just kept talking and ignored the play. It was brutal

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I can’t imagine what you thought the fine part was about it. I am not an announcer guy and I wanted to fling a brick through my TV.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Yes, I miss Sam Reinhart every single day. Reinhart as the 2nd line center on this team at 6mil for another 4 years would have been great.

• Like (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, SDS said:

I can’t imagine what you thought the fine part was about it. I am not an announcer guy and I wanted to fling a brick through my TV.

I guess he enjoyed the spirited conversation about the guy who used to sharpen Wayne’s skates when he was 12 in the shed behind the old barber shop in downtown Branford.

12 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Skinner looks like he's having fun again!  Ralph Krueger might be the absolute worst coach in Sabres' history.

Krueger took a $9 M player in Skinner and turned him into a $150,000 scrub. Granato took the same player and made him into a $7 M player. He then put him on a revamped first line that can hold up with any first line in the league. You don't have to be an analytical wizard to understand the return on the dollars spent.

Another player that has blossomed under DG is Tage. He moved him from the wing to the center spot. Now Tage is emerging as a worthy first line center and became one of our biggest scoring threats. Krueger had a tendency of caging players while Granato knowns how to open the door and unleash their talents. 

One of the biggest faults of Krueger when coaching players is that he straitjackets players that limits them while Granato adjusts to the player and maximizes their assets while also managing their limitations. That's what coaching is all about! 

Let's not even bring up Dahlin. Under Granato Dahlin is emerging as one of the top players in the league whose creativity and flow are something to marvel at. Under Krueger Dahlin became robotic and over-thought the game to the point of constant hesitancy. In a year and a half Krueger crushed the soul of his players and of the fanbase. The amount of damage the erudite coach did in his short stint is astounding. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes, I miss Sam Reinhart every single day. Reinhart as the 2nd line center on this team at 6mil for another 4 years would have been great.

I miss him as well.  Despite all the turmoil last year he really played hard every night and was usually our best player.  However, if he was still here would they have moved Thompson to center?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.