After the Whistle Podcast - Jack Returns

PromoTheRobot

Yeh it was over the top, repetitive but they are not wrong about Jack... its just beating a dead horse... not sure what the stories are but have heard rumors... so what... he is not on the Sabres... who cares... 5 min podcast max and over plus Gionta for 2-3 min and done.

Here's a specific item:  Petey said that Eichel didn't speak with a lot of his teammates -- i.e. he held himself above them, like they weren't worth his time in talking to.

If true, what a freaking DB and what a terrible captain.

Also, I don't think Rivet's outrage was fake.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

These guys are turkeys.

Such an under-utilized dis.

I award you 50 internet points.

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Petey said that Eichel didn't speak with a lot of his teammates -- i.e. he held himself above them, like they weren't worth his time in talking to.

If true, what a freaking DB and what a terrible captain.

I remember hearing this while Eichel was here as well. It may have even been discussed here? Accepting as true that Eichel talked to some of this teammates, and not others (the cool kids club), it just makes sense. He probably did not even see it as holding himself above them, or diminishing them as not worth his time. He's probably not that self-aware. He just does not know what it means to lead, and how true leadership (at least in this setting (sports!)) is rooted in a spirit of service to those you are leading.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I remember hearing this while Eichel was here as well. It may have even been discussed here? Accepting as true that Eichel talked to some of this teammates, and not others (the cool kids club), it just makes sense. He probably did not even see it as holding himself above them, or diminishing them as not worth his time. He's probably not that self-aware. He just does not know what it means to lead, and how true leadership (at least in this setting (sports!)) is rooted in a spirit of service to those you are leading.

This is a charitable interpretation.  Good man.

Either way, it's another brick in the wall supporting KA's conclusion that the team needed a wholesale culture change and that Eichel needed to go as part of that change.

• Like (+1) 5

For anyone who thinks these two guys are just windbags:

I think that most would agree that Brian Gionta is a respectable, mild mannered, good natured guy who knows what it is to be a hockey leader.  He also has nothing to gain from running down Eichel in this scenario.

If you just listen to what Gionta says here, I think it says all that you need to know.  This is also not the first time that Gionta has publicly said things of this nature.

• Like (+1) 5

18 minutes ago, Curt said:

For anyone who thinks these two guys are just windbags:

I think that most would agree that Brian Gionta is a respectable, mild mannered, good natured guy who knows what it is to be a hockey leader.  He also has nothing to gain from running down Eichel in this scenario.

If you just listen to what Gionta says here, I think it says all that you need to know.  This is also not the first time that Gionta has publicly said things of this nature.

This reinforces what I think Robin Lehner asked about why some of his younger teammates were not listening to Gionta.  Gionta was a definite contributor to a Cup winner, yet he was not being followed.  It looks like he was clearly pointing the finger at Reinhart and Eichel -- and probably Bogosian and Kane.

As I look back at this dreadful decade, I wonder if I underrate how bad the Winnipeg trade was for us.

• Like (+1) 5

The Winnipeg trade, I believe, 100% contributed to the free fall of this organization.

Jack gravitated to those bad apples, not the Cup winning captain. That’s on GMTM. He didn’t build the club around Jack with quality PEOPLE.

Going forward, GMKA must surround Owen Power and their young group with proven good people and good talent. That will be the trick.

As for the podcast today, I enjoyed the honesty from the hosts and for Gionta not talking smack about Jack, choosing his words or lack there of wisely.

• Like (+1) 7

29 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

The Winnipeg trade, I believe, 100% contributed to the free fall of this organization.

Jack gravitated to those bad apples, not the Cup winning captain. That’s on GMTM. He didn’t build the club around Jack with quality PEOPLE.

Going forward, GMKA must surround Owen Power and their young group with proven good people and good talent. That will be the trick.

As for the podcast today, I enjoyed the honesty from the hosts and for Gionta not talking smack about Jack, choosing his words or lack there of wisely.

Yes, agree completely.

And yes, Gionta did not talk bombastic smack about Eichel.  He chose his words very carefully, but still had more negative than positive to say about Eichel, and didn’t refute anything that Peters/Rivet threw out there either.

• Like (+1) 1

Appears we have a good young team-first core… Expecting Power to integrate with it… Tuch will be a first-class Captain at some point… Up to KA to see there is no room for selfish players here anymore… Hoping Okposo and Anderson stick… Great senior vets and solid 60 minute players… Leaders by example… If last night showed us anything, it showed the Sabres future can be special… 

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS changed the title to After the Whistle Podcast - Jack Returns
1 hour ago, rickshaw said:

I have every confidence that Adams, Karmanos, et al, know exactly what kind of players to surround a young core with. They have two already in Tuch and Okposo. The question is, will they be able to lure more of those types to Buffalo?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I have every confidence that Adams, Karmanos, et al, know exactly what kind of players to surround a young core with. They have two already in Tuch and Okposo. The question is, will they be able to lure more of those types to Buffalo?

I think that guys like Tuch, young veterans, are even more important than older experienced vets when it comes to off ice stuff.  No doubt that Okposo is a great leader and a wealth of knowledge, but I think it’s natural that guys like Tuch might have more influence.  Everyone likes and respects Okposo, but when the practice/game is over, he has a lot of family responsibilities and is almost 15 years older than most of the kids.  Tuch on the other hand is a lot closer in age and will have a lot more time to spend with the younger guys.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think that guys like Tuch, young veterans, are even more important than older experienced vets when it comes to off ice stuff.  No doubt that Okposo is a great leader and a wealth of knowledge, but I think it’s natural that guys like Tuch might have more influence.  Everyone likes and respects Okposo, but when the practice/game is over, he has a lot of family responsibilities and is almost 15 years older than most of the kids.  Tuch on the other hand is a lot closer in age and will have a lot more time to spend with the younger guys.

Great point. I guess Mitts’s house has become the hangout for the guys, including Tuch. At least that’s what I’ve heard. Bonding off the ice is so important. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Curt said:

Tuch on the other hand is a lot closer in age and will have a lot more time to spend with the younger guys.

But does he play Fortnite?

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Great point. I guess Mitts’s house has become the hangout for the guys, including Tuch. At least that’s what I’ve heard. Bonding off the ice is so important. 

....and there's your answer!

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

This reinforces what I think Robin Lehner asked about why some of his younger teammates were not listening to Gionta.  Gionta was a definite contributor to a Cup winner, yet he was not being followed.  It looks like he was clearly pointing the finger at Reinhart and Eichel -- and probably Bogosian and Kane.

As I look back at this dreadful decade, I wonder if I underrate how bad the Winnipeg trade was for us.

The Winnipeg trade will never get enough credit for brining two terrible role models here at a huge cost. Might be even worse than the Fasching trade, and Murray's worst overall.

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

The Winnipeg trade will never get enough credit for brining two terrible role models here at a huge cost. Might be even worse than the Fasching trade, and Murray's worst overall.

I don’t think anyone has denied that TM brought in the worst possible personalities to pair with our tankfruit. The idea was sound (and we really need to do the same this offseason), but the selection of people was very regrettable.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t think anyone has denied that TM brought in the worst possible personalities to pair with our tankfruit. The idea was sound (and we really need to do the same this offseason), but the selection of people was very regrettable.

I have friends who still romanticize over Murray's time here.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

There wasn't much pearl clutching when it went down.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

There wasn't much pearl clutching when it went down.

Right, but no one here has access to the info on character that TM had, and no one here gets paid millions of dollars to get these decisions right.  

16 hours ago, rickshaw said:

Well said and good to see ya sir!

21 hours ago, Gabrielor said:

Rivet didn't hold back, and it was refreshing to hear.

No need to protect his dirty laundry anymore.

Rivet is the real deal. Sat next to him at a Sabres Luncheon for Season ticket holders during his playing days. Exactly what you would expect from a hockey player, a regular guy of the  “lunch bucket”variety. Rivet is telling you what he feels from as a hockey player from a different era.

That podcast was a little theater but hey it’s a podcast….

I suspect there is a lot about Jack and the regime that will come out now. Jack’s immature ways and smart a** mouth may have opened the door for some very unflattering things. I welcome it. If It ruins Jack’s reputation so be it. Then again Jack is doing it to himself, he always has.  Jack Eichel threw the first stone (and many other stones), making a mistake the other night by calling out the best fan city/base in all of North America. The former players who have adopted this city as their own will demonstrate that and defend us.

12 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

Rivet is the real deal. Sat next to him at a Sabres Luncheon for Season ticket holders during his playing days. Exactly what you would expect from a hockey player, a regular guy of the  “lunch bucket”variety. Rivet is telling you what he feels from as a hockey player from a different era.

That podcast was a little theater but hey it’s a podcast….

I suspect there is a lot about Jack and the regime that will come out now. Jack’s immature ways and smart a** mouth may have opened the door for some very unflattering things. I welcome it. If It ruins Jack’s reputation so be it. Then again Jack is doing it to himself, he always has.  Jack Eichel threw the first stone (and many other stones), making a mistake the other night by calling out the best fan city/base in all of North America. The former players who have adopted this city as their own will demonstrate that and defend us.

I think Rivet went way too far... and he seemed to realize it when he said he doesn't know Jack outside of hockey.

17 hours ago, Believer said:

Appears we have a good young team-first core… Expecting Power to integrate with it… Tuch will be a first-class Captain at some point… Up to KA to see there is no room for selfish players here anymore… Hoping Okposo and Anderson stick… Great senior vets and solid 60 minute players… Leaders by example… If last night showed us anything, it showed the Sabres future can be special… 

Agreed, pretty much universally Sabres are touted with having the number 1 pool of prospects in the NHL now. There is real cause for optimism finally over the next few years as long as they keep building and trending in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.