Jump to content

2022 Buffalo Bills Thread


Brawndo
 Share

Recommended Posts

It seems like there should a separate thread to me, based on the upper management’s desire to keep threads topic-pure. 
The Bills ain’t related to none of this nonsense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, if Watson had been found guilty of something, the suspension would've been much longer.

Serious question:  what do you think the right outcome here is?  This wasn't a one-time incident where maybe there was a misunderstanding or a shakedown.  30 different women accused him of pretty much the same thing.

Still shows how difficult it is the prove this after the facts -  Mostly turns into a he said vs she said.

I don't know what other proof there is because I have not followed it much.   But I think he would be in jail with hard evidence by now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, shrader said:

I'm not crazy about punishing someone based on accusations.

Accusations made under penalty of perjury are evidence.

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

But I think he would be in jail with hard evidence by now.

Oh My God Wow GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Still shows how difficult it is the prove this after the facts -  Mostly turns into a he said vs she said.

I don't know what other proof there is because I have not followed it much.   But I think he would be in jail with hard evidence by now.

2 separate grand juries did not indict.  So 2 separate DAs couldn't present a case that he was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt without him getting to challenge the evidence against him nor present evidence to support his claims of innocence. 

The arbitrator was reviewing the evidence under the much less strict civil standard of a preponderance of the evidence (51%) indicating he is guilty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

I just hope he doesn’t develop plantar fasciitis, based on ‘absentis contractus’.

He was at camp going all out when he was hurt. He's under contract for the season. Understand your concern but perhaps he's earned the benefit of the doubt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sakman said:

He was at camp going all out when he was hurt. He's under contract for the season. Understand your concern but perhaps he's earned the benefit of the doubt. 

Agreed.  He’s a high caliber individual.  Just worried about players in a contract year without guarantees.  Human nature is self preservation.  Hopefully the opportunity of leading what could be an all time great D will not allow the lack of an extension to interfere with his play. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Agreed.  He’s a high caliber individual.  Just worried about players in a contract year without guarantees.  Human nature is self preservation.  Hopefully the opportunity of leading what could be an all time great D will not allow the lack of an extension to interfere with his play. 

It seems to me that most players tend to do the opposite of your implication in a contract year.  You want to get as much money as possible, so you want to make as big a splash as possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

I just hope he doesn’t develop plantar fasciitis, based on ‘absentis contractus’.

I lack context on this, but I've heard a couple references to how NFL players have taken to conducting "hold ins" rather than "hold outs." I don't think that's what Poyer is angling to do, but it's apparently become a thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I lack context on this, but I've heard a couple references to how NFL players have taken to conducting "hold ins" rather than "hold outs." I don't think that's what Poyer is angling to do, but it's apparently become a thing.

 Never heard the term until this year. Found this to describe it:

A "hold-in" is when a player arrives at training camp on time but chooses not to participate in practices because of a contract dispute. It differs slightly from a holdout — when a player avoids the team facility and team activities entirely in the hope of forcing a better contract or a trade.
The origin of the term is a bit murky. Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio said that it used to describe "a player who either embellished or fabricated an injury in order to not practice."

Either way, it seems hold-ins are all the rage in the league, Last year, Seahawks players Jamal Adams, Duane Brown and Quandre Diggs all enlisted the strategy in the hope of a better deal.

The logic behind the hold-in is simple, in theory. In the olden days, players would hold out, teams would fine them and, once the holdout ended, teams would waive the fine fines. Beautiful stuff.

But as the NFL contracts have gotten fatter, so, too, have the fines. Now, players can be docked up to $50,000 per day missed. And that fine forgiveness? The NFL's current collective bargaining agreement nixed that, meaning players have to eat the fine entirely (unless they are under a rookie contract).

That makes the decision quite simple for the league's biggest stars: clock in without actually clocking in. Show up to training camp every day, stay out of activities and collect a check.

10 hours ago, JujuFish said:

It seems to me that most players tend to do the opposite of your implication in a contract year.  You want to get as much money as possible, so you want to make as big a splash as possible.

     In other sports yes, where there is no option to restructure a contract, and the contracts are guaranteed.  Poyer has enough plays on tape to show any GM he is worth another deal.  He doesn't need to prove anything. This is not like MLB, NBA or the NHL, but rather a league where the average playing career is ~3.5 years and it's not uncommon for an injury to shorten or end any potential future earnings.  He's the 19th ranked Safety based on AAV and probably higher on this list if you asked coaches/GM's around the league.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/sort-value/safety/limit-100/

  The problem is the Bills are facing a huge jump in salary cap for 4 players in 2023 compared to this year. Allen, Diggs, Miller and Milano will see salary cap figures almost 48 million more next year compared to this year.  So there is very little the GM can do to extend or restructure Poyer at this time.  It's an interesting dichotomy of a player looking to stay healthy and continue playing (elsewhere most likely) against balling out to win a Super bowl. 

   At the end of the day, I think Poyer has more integrity than most of the other hold outs, or Jairus Byrd whom I alluded to in my original post.   Who was only out to secure another contract.  And when he received his 6 year $56M deal, only played three years before being cut. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Lemme guess.  Also you’re a big goathead proponent.  🤮

I like the Black and Reds alot.  I grew up with the Blue and Gold, as a very little kid starting watching years and years of games with the tail end of the French connection, and being in elementary and middle school never missing a game that was on Tv for most of the early to mid 1980s.  I just liked the Black and Red goathead jerseys when they came out.  I don't understand all the disdain for them sometimes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I like the Black and Reds alot.  I grew up with the Blue and Gold, as a very little kid starting watching years and years of games with the tail end of the French connection, and being in elementary and middle school never missing a game that was on Tv for most of the early to mid 1980s.  I just liked the Black and Red goathead jerseys when they came out.  I don't understand all the disdain for them sometimes.

 

Because they were an abomination created with the mid nineties schtick where everyone was going to black craptastic jerseys.  To make matters worse, they did so with this horrific barely Buffalo looking logo.  It looks fugly.  The classic blue and golds looks like gods attire compared to Fred Dursts b-boy puke covered garbage. Ugh. 

  • Thanks (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, inkman said:

Because they were an abomination created with the mid nineties schtick where everyone was going to black craptastic jerseys.  To make matters worse, they did so with this horrific barely Buffalo looking logo.  It looks fugly.  The classic blue and golds looks like gods attire compared to Fred Dursts b-boy puke covered garbage. Ugh. 

Even worse, they were the corporate colors of a criminal enterprise.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...