2022-2023 Buffalo Bills Thread

Brawndo

40 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

We are definitely thinking of building. Found a patch of land that's been listed for a long time in the middle of nowhere that happens to be perfect for both of our commutes, might buy that now and sit in an apartment for a while to see if prices will ever go down

Where the hell are you renting in that location?  Leroy?

Lots of low land in that area of Genesee, Wyoming, Livingston.  Mind your elevation unless you like mosquitoes and sump pumps.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

Where the hell are you renting in that location?  Leroy?

Lots of low land in that area of Genesee, Wyoming, Livingston.  Mind your elevation unless you like mosquitoes and sump pumps.

We could do Batavia, Leroy, Geneseo pretty easily commute-wise, so we'd probably pick one of those places. I would imagine that Batavia is the most likely, but we haven't looked into it quite yet as our wedding is still more than half a year away 

The land we are looking at is on top of a hill, which is nice! 

2 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I live in Amherst near the Buffalo border.  I have the cheapest house in the neighbourhood (least square footage, not brick, no updates since before 2000).  Houses here for $100k.

I know those bordering areas quite well - really well, in fact (it's actually a surprisingly small shared border!). Are houses somewhere in there really going for $100K? That would shock me.

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I would imagine that Batavia is the most likely, but we haven't looked into it quite yet as our wedding is still more than half a year away 

Upvote that town, if only for the quality of their local taquerias.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

We are definitely thinking of building. Found a patch of land that's been listed for a long time in the middle of nowhere that happens to be perfect for both of our commutes, might buy that now and sit in an apartment for a while to see if prices will ever go down

Prices won't go down. 

• Like (+1) 1

I grew up in the town next to Batavia. After being away from there so many years, I couldn’t live in such an area and perhaps raise a family. I could not even begin to describe the over the top, every day racism and hatred for different people in that area. These days, for the few that actually remain on my Facebook feed, a lot of it’s hard to stomach.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Of houses? I believe it. I think there's a chance we can build cheaper than right now a few years down the line. Then again, I don't know anything about anything

Building cheaper is probable simply because the cost of materials is so high right now.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Building cheaper is probable simply because the cost of materials is so high right now.

There's a housing shortage, plus interest rates are increasing, idk if materials being cheaper by the fraction they'll go down will offset that

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There's a housing shortage, plus interest rates are increasing, idk if materials being cheaper by the fraction they'll go down will offset that

Yeah I can't say for certain. Definitely doesn't help that big investment firms are buying single family homes to use as rentals now either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, SDS said:

I grew up in the town next to Batavia. After being away from there so many years, I couldn’t live in such an area and perhaps raise a family. I could not even begin to describe the over the top, every day racism and hatred for different people in that area. These days, for the few that actually remain on my Facebook feed, a lot of it’s hard to stomach.

Unfortunately, that’s a reality for much of isolated, small town America. Years ago, I had to give a lift to a contractor from the Olean area and he was literally afraid of black people as we drove down Fillmore Ave. in Buffalo. Every stop light was an adventure. The old axiom of fearing what we don’t know or understand was never on better display. Pitiful. 

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

When I live in areas towards which people like you spit the most contempt, I make life-changing bonds with the nicest people I've ever met, can leave my door unlocked every night, and have the most resourceful and outgoing neighbors that can be imagined, who would drop everything to help anyone out in a pinch. They are the only remaining locations I've found on in America that still contain the vestiges of " a community"  

When I live in areas surrounded by people who say things like this (along with the people they treat as their pets), I regularly have my things stolen or trashed if not locked away, get physically/verbally harassed like clockwork, and see things in public that no person with any respect for themselves and their community should ever tolerate. My fiancée* narrowly escapes getting mugged on her way to work multiple times, the police don't care about any of this, and every one of my 'tolerant' neighbors will casually and openly berate me, and themselves, for their ancestry, over and over and over, making this into their entire personality to accumulate social capital and internet points. THEY are the most bitter, resentful, incompetent, shallow, hateful people I have ever seen in my life, and it's not even close, despite spending 75% of it in the areas that YOU deem unsalvageable. The disparity in my quality of life, along with the amount of "hate" and "racism" witnessed, between these two locations is cartoonishly large.

In fact, give me a map of the places in WNY you describe, because I need to hone in on the ideal place to raise a grounded & healthy family, my search radius is a bit too big right now. 

*she is a teacher, and our recent decision to flee your areas for ours will, without exaggeration, add years to her life. 

Just now, WildCard said:

yeah that's what I was going for when I said that. We are going to buy if the right situation presents itself (we've gotten close twice), but I expect to be renting for a bit and then building

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Unfortunately, that’s a reality for much of isolated, small town America. Years ago, I had to give a lift to a contractor from the Olean area and he was literally afraid of black people as we drove down Fillmore Ave. in Buffalo. Every stop light was an adventure. The old axiom of fearing what we don’t know or understand was never on better display. Pitiful. 

Again, growing up there and knowing what was said on a conversation by conversation basis would make people's head explode if they weren't subjected to it. It's my opinion that most of Genessee County could be transplanted to the middle of Alabama and the only difference would be the accents and putting the word "the" in front of every road.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Again, growing up there and knowing what was said on a conversation by conversation basis would make people's head explode if they weren't subjected to it. It's my opinion that most of Genessee County could be transplanted to the middle of Alabama and the only difference would be the accents and putting the word "the" in front of every road.

True. And again, unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

When I live in areas towards which people like you spit the most contempt, I make life-changing bonds with the nicest people I've ever met, can leave my door unlocked every night, and have the most resourceful and outgoing neighbors that can be imagined, who would drop everything to help anyone out in a pinch. They are the only remaining locations I've found on in America that still contain the vestiges of " a community"  

When I live in areas surrounded by people who say things like this (along with the people they treat as their pets), I regularly have my things stolen or trashed if not locked away, get physically/verbally harassed like clockwork, and see things in public that no person with any respect for themselves and their community should ever tolerate. My fiancée* narrowly escapes getting mugged on her way to work multiple times, the police don't care about any of this, and every one of my 'tolerant' neighbors will casually and openly berate me, and themselves, for their ancestry, over and over and over, making this into their entire personality to accumulate social capital and internet points. THEY are the most bitter, resentful, incompetent, shallow, hateful people I have ever seen in my life, and it's not even close, despite spending 75% of it in the areas that YOU deem unsalvageable. The disparity in my quality of life, along with the amount of "hate" and "racism" witnessed, between these two locations is cartoonishly large.

In fact, give me a map of the places in WNY you describe, because I need to hone in on the ideal place to raise a grounded & healthy family, my search radius is a bit too big right now. 

*she is a teacher, and our recent decision to flee your areas for ours will, without exaggeration, add years to her life. 

yeah that's what I was going for when I said that. We are going to buy if the right situation presents itself (we've gotten close twice), but I expect to be renting for a bit and then building

Will Ferrell Anchorman GIF by AOK

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

That's as ugly of a post as I've seen on here. Congrats Archie.

• Thanks (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SDS said:

Alabama is in Genessee County.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I think you could add a couple of other counties.

I have no desire to ever return to my hometown because of that.

Bills thread to this. Ouch.. 

I'm happy that I got my house for a really decent price when I did, but it's snows way more up the hill where I live than anywhere else. 

So will parking for the bills be relocated while building the new stadium? I imagine that will be rough for a few years. 

18 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Bills thread to this. Ouch.. 

I'm happy that I got my house for a really decent price when I did, but it's snows way more up the hill where I live than anywhere else. 

So will parking for the bills be relocated while building the new stadium? I imagine that will be rough for a few years. 

Same, bought b4 covid and prices in my neighborhood are up about 20% from just a few years ago. 

On 3/28/2022 at 7:50 AM, LGR4GM said:

What could 850million fund in Erie County? Probably after school programs and education to help urban kids but nahhhhh let's buy rich people a pleasure palace they can show off to other rich ppl. Bread and circuses. 

I'm over it. Was always going to go down this way. 

On 3/28/2022 at 9:12 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not a single $ is going to be taken away from your coveted social programs.  The county will float $850 in muni bonds.  These bonds will be sold primarily to insurance companies, mutual funds and pension funds.  The interest on the bonds will come from the Bills and stadium revenue. 

Using the county’s ability to access the muni bond market just makes the project more efficient and cost effective.    It is much harder for PGE to raise the money on it’s own. 

Disappointed Dr No GIF by James Bond 007

4 hours ago, SDS said:

That's as ugly of a post as I've seen on here. Congrats Archie.

Have you ever heard of twitter spaces? There is a recurring type of twitter space that would, to borrow an expression, make your head explode, if you were to sneak in (you have to sneak, because you are not welcome there and they will make sure you know it)

It was indeed ugly to live amidst those who look down their nose at country bumpkins in flyover states(counties?), in the world they so proudly built, and soul-cleansing to again be far away from them

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1