2022-2023 Buffalo Bills Thread

Brawndo

41 minutes ago, sabills said:

You could do both. Trade back from the first, pick up a 2nd a 3rd and a 5th, then trade your 4th and 2 5ths for another third, move your remaining 6ths and a 7th for a 5th. Now you've got 6 picks total: two 2nd, three 3rds, and a 5th. Or maybe you package a player and a pick for someone/something. 

All this depends of course, if you've got a guy you love in the first you just take him  and ***** the rest. But draft picks are lotto tickets. 

Related but seperate thoughts, this set of graphs is interesting when it comes to pick value by position:

image.thumb.png.04eb2ee690209a60b603239a56782105.png

Interior DL and QB? Huge dropoffs. DBs and WRs? Not so much.

Like this rationale a lot especially considering how deep the draft is.  With only 6 picks, fewer get cut to the taxi sqaud

1 hour ago, sabills said:

You could do both. Trade back from the first, pick up a 2nd a 3rd and a 5th, then trade your 4th and 2 5ths for another third, move your remaining 6ths and a 7th for a 5th. Now you've got 6 picks total: two 2nd, three 3rds, and a 5th. Or maybe you package a player and a pick for someone/something. 

All this depends of course, if you've got a guy you love in the first you just take him  and ***** the rest. But draft picks are lotto tickets. 

It's the NFL, not NHL.  Not sure about "lotto tickets."  

If the idea is to trade back, I'd rather see them pick up a 2023 first.  

And I did like the graphs but I cut them to save room.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's the NFL, not NHL.  Not sure about "lotto tickets."  

If the idea is to trade back, I'd rather see them pick up a 2023 first.  

And I did like the graphs but I cut them to save room.

I'll disagree slightly, but I see what you're saying. Really what you're getting with the NFL is hopefully top tier talent at an absolute steal of a contract, thats the real value. If you get a guy who can consistently start for you in the 4th round or later you've won because you're going to pay that guy peanuts for 4 or 5 years. But the swings aren't as big as the NHL for sure.

I don't think you're getting a next year for the 25th pick first unless you give up a lot more, or they like, top 10 protect the pick (which IDK if you can do in the NFL).

54 minutes ago, sabills said:

I don't think you're getting a next year for the 25th pick first unless you give up a lot more, or they like, top 10 protect the pick (which IDK if you can do in the NFL).

Ah, that depends on what team sees their future at the end of the first round.  The Bills have done it recently from the other end, I think.

EDIT:  No, the Bills haven't.  But if some team sees value there, they'll do it.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not totally sure why, but I am not super interested in the offseason at all this year.  Just get me through it and get me to the games.

Maybe its because I like the 'team building' phase that you to through getting to the top.  I am having much more fun with Sabres talk, about the players, the direction of the team...than I am with the Bills.   It wasn't always that way but it is now.   Maybe its just because they finally have the QB, and while all the moves around him will matter...having the QB and just not MESSING UP BADLY the moves around him might be all you need, along with some luck.

Give me week 1, update me on the moves you made in the offseason once the games start.  I just can't get to 'hyped' up over every offseason move the Bills make until they are on the field.

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm not totally sure why, but I am not super interested in the offseason at all this year.  Just get me through it and get me to the games.

Maybe its because I like the 'team building' phase that you to through getting to the top.  I am having much more fun with Sabres talk, about the players, the direction of the team...than I am with the Bills.   It wasn't always that way but it is now.   Maybe its just because they finally have the QB, and while all the moves around him will matter...having the QB and just not MESSING UP BADLY the moves around him might be all you need, along with some luck.

Give me week 1, update me on the moves you made in the offseason once the games start.  I just can't get to 'hyped' up over every offseason move the Bills make until they are on the field.

The Bills D line gained some serious weight.Thats what I was hoping for and that came true. So the draft--afterthought.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok who do the Bills pick?

RB Hall?

S Cine? 

WR?  LB? CB?

From all I’ve read I doubt they take a CB.  Apparently McBeane don’t put a premium on the 2nd CB.  My guess is they grab a S, RB, or LB.  Key players at these 3 positions are all playing on expiring contracts and apparently McDermott doesn’t like to start rookies if he doesn’t have to.

40 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

RB Hall?

S Cine? 

WR?  LB? CB?

From all I’ve read I doubt they take a CB.  Apparently McBeane don’t put a premium on the 2nd CB.  My guess is they grab a S, RB, or LB.  Key players at these 3 positions are all playing on expiring contracts and apparently McDermott doesn’t like to start rookies if he doesn’t have to.

I think they'll move up.

I don't think it'll make anyone very happy initially but the player they get will be a star. 

The question is what they give up, I wouldn't include next year's first unless they get into the top ten. 

32nd pick isn't too bad to lose. 

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

RB Hall?

S Cine? 

WR?  LB? CB?

A team that lost a chance at the superbowl because of having a mediocre 2nd cb is going to take a rb in the first? Guess the Bills want to lose more in the playoffs. Defense wins championships. Take a corner or a lb or a safety... well a specific safety and not it's Cine. 

21 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It will be one of the cbs left. Elam, McCreary, Booth JR, etc.

Uggh. Booth is the only one of those worth taking @25. Kyler Gordon (part of the etc.) maybe. Elam is soft, not a willing tackler, just no. I have been advocating on the football side for a trade up with the Giants who are reportedly open to trading 7. I personally want Jameson Williams, but Sauce might be available and Stingley would. For Williams or Sauce, I am trading next year's first to get it done.

I think if we don't move up, we could take Breece Hall @25, though I don't think rb is good asset management in the first and they could probably get him with a small trade back.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

A team that lost a chance at the superbowl because of having a mediocre 2nd cb is going to take a rb in the first? Guess the Bills want to lose more in the playoffs. Defense wins championships. Take a corner or a lb or a safety... well a specific safety and not it's Cine. 

Taking hall would be smart you can't have your franchise quarterback be your main running back 

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

RB Hall?

S Cine? 

WR?  LB? CB?

^ This. Beane does a great job of succession planning with the roster. With all the debate about Edmunds future, we'll get a pretty good idea of what the Bills are thinking in that regard over the next couple days.

I give it a 25% chance the Bills pick in their slot. Beane will move up if there's someone they love that has dropped into a good value range. I think there's a better chance he will move out of the first round altogether. Some team that wants a quarterback (i.e., Carolina?) but not in the first 10 picks may look to get back into the end of round one. If Beane can get an extra 2nd and 3rd, both very early in those rounds, he'll take them and make some hay with the first four picks. JMO.

7 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

I give it a 25% chance the Bills pick in their slot. Beane will move up if there's someone they love that has dropped into a good value range. I think there's a better chance he will move out of the first round altogether. Some team that wants a quarterback (i.e., Carolina?) but not in the first 10 picks may look to get back into the end of round one. If Beane can get an extra 2nd and 3rd, both very early in those rounds, he'll take them and make some hay with the first four picks. JMO.

Maybe