2022-2023 Buffalo Bills Thread

Brawndo

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think Jameson Williams is the next Hill. I think Williams is a nice piece and will be good but he's got a major knee injury, he isn't going to be a major factor in year 1 because of that, defense wins championships. 

wait-what-john-krasinski.gif

Edited by Buffalonill

I’ll be interested to see the salary cap deets.  He still has 2 years left on his existing contract, and this is an extension, so I assume there are substantial cap penalties if he doesn’t stay here for at least 4 more seasons — which is a not insignificant risk.

Having said that, I think this is good news.  I love Diggs.  

The Diggs deal is going to free up money (to sign a veteran DB, I hope) - his cap hit is reportedly now ~$10.5M this season and ~$14M in 2023 - before it jumps up in 2024 to ~$25M. And by that time, the cap should make that $25M hit quite manageable.

I also wonder whether the team might be foregoing a plethora of cheap labor in this draft (because many of them would probably not make the team), and targeting a specific player (and trading draft assets to move up and get him).

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The Diggs deal is going to free up money (to sign a veteran DB, I hope) - his cap hit is reportedly now ~$10.5M this season and ~$14M in 2023 - before it jumps up in 2024 to ~$25M. And by that time, the cap should make that $25M hit quite manageable.

I also wonder whether the team might be foregoing a plethora of cheap labor in this draft (because many of them would probably not make the team), and targeting a specific player (and trading draft assets to move up and get him).

About the draft, you could be right and I like this line of thinking.

There's not alot of roster spots available on the Bills right now but a few good picks could shore them up a bit imo.

They could do alot of damage with three picks in whatever order suits them:

Homerun threat RB

CB

CB/LB

4 minutes ago, Norcal said:

There's not alot of roster spots available on the Bills right now but a few good picks could shore them up a bit imo.

Homerun threat RB

CB

CB/LB

That's the idea, I reckon. I'd prefer to see "WR" in that top spot. There'd be a logical symmetry to extending Diggs and drafting a top flight WR whom they really like.

4 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Homerun threat RB

CB

CB/LB

They are going to need over the next two drafts a starting CB, LB, Safety, RB, OG and possibly a WR.  

They need to grab a CB in the first rd this year.  After that checking a couple of the list above would be great.

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

That's the idea, I reckon. I'd prefer to see "WR" in that top spot. There'd be a logical symmetry to extending Diggs and drafting a top flight WR whom they really like.

I'm on board with that, just picked RB because it's the weakest link right now in terms if breakaway explosive plays are concerned. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

As long as they don't waste a 1st round pick on rb

It's traditionally low value but someone who fits the scheme and profile (Speed, speed, speed) on a cheap contract for 4-5 years. 

I'd do it. 

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They are going to need over the next two drafts a starting CB, LB, Safety, RB, OG and possibly a WR.  

They need to grab a CB in the first rd this year.  After that checking a couple of the list above would be great.

I trust Beane to find the value. If he likes CB first so be it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

It's traditionally low value but someone who fits the scheme and profile (Speed, speed, speed) on a cheap contract for 4-5 years. 

I'd do it. 

I trust Beane to find the value. If he likes CB first so be it. 

I would absolutely not draft a RB in the first round under any circumstances if I were the Bills. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I would absolutely not draft a RB in the first round under any circumstances if I were the Bills. 

What position would you draft? 

Also. You will come around if they do and he's everything they are missing.

Allen could run less and have more lanes to pass in with a real threat in the backfield imo. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

So here is the plan.  The Bills trade down to later in the first and add a 2nd second.  They still use the late first on S Lewis Cine, UGA.  With the first 2nd rd pick they grab McDuffie, CB Wash (or whomever they deem as the best CB available at that slot).  With the 2nd 2nd rd pick the grab Quay Walker, LB, UGA.  In the 3rd they draft James Cook, RB, UGA and in the 4th OG Justin Shaffer, UGA.

Now that is a draft I can live with.

20 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I disagree with you on Jameson Williams. I think he will make a difference for the team that picks him year one, you just have to wait till mid-season. All that said, I live near Athens and Pickens is a fella I think will be a very good pro. No way you get him in the third, however. You'd have to trade up into the top of the second, imo.

On 4/6/2022 at 2:16 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

So here is the plan.  The Bills trade down to later in the first and add a 2nd second.  They still use the late first on S Lewis Cine, UGA.  With the first 2nd rd pick they grab McDuffie, CB Wash (or whomever they deem as the best CB available at that slot).  With the 2nd 2nd rd pick the grab Quay Walker, LB, UGA.  In the 3rd they draft James Cook, RB, UGA and in the 4th OG Justin Shaffer, UGA.

Now that is a draft I can live with.

Trading down later in the 1st won't get you a 2nd - there are only 7 picks after the Bills in the 1st, it would probably net you a late 3rd.  you could probably get an early 2nd, an early 3rd and maybe a later pick for #25 - a team wanting a QB trading up.  In this scenario i draft:

best CB in the early 2nd

Best RB in the late 2nd (WIll Walker III be there)

Best WR in early 3rd

Best Olineman in late 3rd

Now, if a CB or WR falls to 25 that I'm not expecting to - WIlliams/Olave type, all trades off

On 4/9/2022 at 11:05 PM, CTJoe said:

Trading down later in the 1st won't get you a 2nd - there are only 7 picks after the Bills in the 1st, it would probably net you a late 3rd.  you could probably get an early 2nd, an early 3rd and maybe a later pick for #25 - a team wanting a QB trading up.  In this scenario i draft:

best CB in the early 2nd

Best RB in the late 2nd (WIll Walker III be there)

Best WR in early 3rd

Best Olineman in late 3rd

Now, if a CB or WR falls to 25 that I'm not expecting to - WIlliams/Olave type, all trades off

This is about right based on this: Draft Value Chart: https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Bills pick is worth 720. Purely on those numbers Seattle is a good partner, where they'd get picks 40 or 41 ( Round 2 picks 8 and 9, worth 500 and 490 respectively) and pick 72 (Round 3 pick 8, worth 230). Seattle has a pick at 9 though, so they probably don't do it.

Indy might be an option though; they don't have a first rounder, and they have picks 43 and 72, then throw in maybe their mid-round fifth and you get 731 points

So now Bills first three rounds they'd have picks 43, 57, 73, and 89. I love those 2nd and 3rd rounders for WR's and CB's; I could definitely see them doing it, but Beane seems to like trading up more than trading down.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

There's not room enough on the roster for all of the draftees as it is, so I think it's more likely that he'd trade up.

You could do both. Trade back from the first, pick up a 2nd a 3rd and a 5th, then trade your 4th and 2 5ths for another third, move your remaining 6ths and a 7th for a 5th. Now you've got 6 picks total: two 2nd, three 3rds, and a 5th. Or maybe you package a player and a pick for someone/something. 

All this depends of course, if you've got a guy you love in the first you just take him  and ***** the rest. But draft picks are lotto tickets. 

Related but seperate thoughts, this set of graphs is interesting when it comes to pick value by position:

image.thumb.png.04eb2ee690209a60b603239a56782105.png

Interior DL and QB? Huge dropoffs. DBs and WRs? Not so much.