2022-2023 Buffalo Bills Thread

Brawndo

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jamison Crowder seriously?

This is a good signing. If he stays healthy Josh will make it look like a very good signing. Upgrade over Beasley for much less money. 

17 minutes ago, Hank said:

This is a good signing. If he stays healthy Josh will make it look like a very good signing. Upgrade over Beasley for much less money. 

I guess, but why is he even necessary.  Gabe Davis is a better player for much much less.  I’d rather draft someone like Pickens, Metchie or Williams.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I guess, but why is he even necessary.  Gabe Davis is a better player for much much less.  I’d rather draft someone like Pickens, Metchie or Williams.

Davis does not play the slot. McKenzie can play the slot, but his ability to find openings in zone coverage is unknown. Crowder knows how to do that. Can he do it as well as Beasley? And with the same sort of chemistry that Beasley had with Allen? Hopefully.

• Like (+1) 3

Bills signed Crowder?

I'm not exactly sure why but, when he's healthy he's damn near unstoppable in the slot. 

At the very least he can be someone the young WRs can continue to learn different tecniques from.

He gets open, how? 

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Duke Johnson was mentioned a page back. Greg Mancz is a guy with 9 starts in the last 4 years, clearly a depth signing.

1 hour ago, sabills said:

All you need to know about the NFL salary cap is that its a lie.

It sure seems that way. It's like a malleable fiction. With the malleability being a function of how much money the owners are willing to spend. When you're in a Super Bowl window, that amount seems to be quite a lot.

I mean - there are chickens that come home to roost eventually. ... I think.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

It sure seems that way. It's like a malleable fiction. With the malleability being a function of how much money the owners are willing to spend. When you're in a Super Bowl window, that amount seems to be quite a lot.

Yeah, thats all probably right. You can definitely screw it up if you're not careful. But with how much you can structure and restructure contracts it seems like its mostly just moving numbers around.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Isn’t the Miller contract only have like a 5 mil cap hit this year?  Football salary cap is a lie. Contracts are a lie

I think this is how it breaks down:

He will receive $19.97 million in actual cash for '22, which is $1.12 million base salary + $18.525 million signing bonus + $225k roster bonus + $100k workout bonus.

It looks like the signing bonus gets amortized five years, which is where the discrepancy comes into play.  So $18.525 million / 5 gets counted against the '22 cap.  That makes the cap hit $1.12 million base salary + $3.705 million + $225k roster bonus + $100k workout bonus which equals $5.15 million.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, sabills said:

All you need to know about the NFL salary cap is that its a lie.

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

4 hours ago, sabills said:

Yeah, thats all probably right. You can definitely screw it up if you're not careful. But with how much you can structure and restructure contracts it seems like its mostly just moving numbers around.

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Isn’t the Miller contract only have like a 5 mil cap hit this year?  Football salary cap is a lie. Contracts are a lie

Taking all of these things into account leaves me with a very uneasy feeling: either Brandon Beane is very good at what he’s doing, or his bluff will be called when we all least expect it and the whole franchise will crater and implode exponentially worse than when the USFL was awarded a measly $3.

And that whole thing about moving numbers around should have us really concerned since it sounds a lot like Enron.

Edited by FogBat

11 hours ago, FogBat said:

Taking all of these things into account leaves me with a very uneasy feeling: either Brandon Beane is very good at what he’s doing, or his bluff will be called when we all least expect it and the whole franchise will crater and implode exponentially worse than when the USFL was awarded a measly $3.

And that whole thing about moving numbers around should have us really concerned since it sounds a lot like Enron.

Beane is a very skilled, savvy GM. He's not bluffing, and this is nothing like Enron. Beane is doing what most (all?) other GM's do when they are in his position (of competing for a Super Bowl). He's going all in. And with the way cap can be manipulated, there's no real risk of anything cratering. There will probably be a few painful cuts of valuable veterans in the years to come, but the Bills should be able to reload* pretty quickly once this roster has had its chance at winning it all.

*The trick is getting the right talent when you do that. Of course, that's always the trick.

17 minutes ago, WildCard said:

According to Rap and Schefter, Tyreek Hill is seeking a trade after extension negotiations fell through. KC wants at least two 1sts, Dolphins and Jets are the frontrunners so far.

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We should probably draft a corner.