Jack Quinn, LBI and will miss 4-6 weeks

LGR4GM

48 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

I don't believe we can attribute most of the injuries this year to any type of conditioning or on the medical staff, if anything they seem to be erroring on the side of keeping them sidelined longer.

Covid, slashing injuries, pucks to the neck, awkward falls/hits into the boards are bad luck.

The Sabres are consistently near the top of the man games lost list though. When there’s a clear established trend, generally there’s more to it than “luck”. 

40 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres Medical and Training Staff when Lehner was here, particularly the latter was horrible. 
As a matter of fact, the outdated rehab methods used with Eichel’s First High Ankle Sprain delayed His Return. 
Training Methods can be blamed for conditions such as Sports Hernias 🤔

Dear lord.

Eichel put up with more than he should have. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I think @Brawndo has posted not too long ago -- maybe in response to Lehner's accusations about poor medical treatment here -- that the Sabres have made a number of changes in their medical staff (Brawndo, I apologize if I am mis-remembering here).

Still:  WTF?  Something appears to be amiss here.

A scene from the Sabres training room

Check Up The Simpsons GIF

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The Sabres are consistently near the top of the man games lost list though. When there’s a clear established trend, generally there’s more to it than “luck”. 

Dear lord.

Obviously the owners are to blame for this somehow.

• Haha (+1) 2

That stinks. It also explains why Quinn didn't look as a strong in the 3rd and wasn't on the ice for the game-tying goal attempt.

++You don't believe in the Hockey Gods, do you?

--Kid, I've skated from one side of this league to the other. I've seen a lot of strange injuries, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force demanding injury retribution for constant "tanking" and "resetting". There's no mystical energy field that controls my injury list.... But, that doesn't mean I'm not building a shrine to make sacrifices for promoting player health going forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A scene from the Sabres training room

Check Up The Simpsons GIF

Obviously the owners are to blame for this somehow.

“All of the diseases are trying to get through to you at the same time and are causing a block where none are getting through”

“So you’re saying I’m indestructible?”

”Mr burns no, even the slightest breeze could..-“

“INDESTRUCTIBLE.”

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

That stinks. It also explains why Quinn didn't look as a strong in the 3rd and wasn't on the ice for the game-tying goal attempt.

++You don't believe in the Hockey Gods, do you?

--Kid, I've skated from one side of this league to the other. I've seen a lot of strange injuries, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force demanding injury retribution for constant "tanking" and "resetting". There's no mystical energy field that controls my injury list.... But, that doesn't mean I'm not building a shrine to make sacrifices for promoting player health going forward.

“It’s real. All of it.”

• Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Dear lord.

I don't doubt there is more than luck going on. But if you break out are man game losses the three that really stand out are Anderson, Toker and Mitts.

The last I knew Mitts was slashed and has/had a wrist injury.

Anderson took a puck to the neck.

Toker has lingering effects from Covid.

That's not conditioning or bad medical staff. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

I don't doubt there is more than luck going on. But if you break out are man game losses the three that really stand out are Anderson, Toker and Mitts.

The last I knew Mitts was slashed and has/had a wrist injury.

Anderson took a puck to the neck.

Toker has lingering effects from Covid.

That's not conditioning or bad medical staff. 

I agree with you on an individual basis.

The mathematician in me looks at the trend in the macro and thinks there needs to be an unaccounted for variable that explains how such a trend could develop over a large period of time, with “randomness” getting unlikelier and unlikelier the longer the trend persists. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I agree with you on an individual basis.

The mathematician in me looks at the trend in the macro and thinks there needs to be an unaccounted for variable that explains how such a trend could develop over a large period of time, with “randomness” getting unlikelier and unlikelier the longer the trend persists. 

I agree.

But the weirdness of not having a conditioning routine because of covid can't help the situation. Being shut down for days or weeks in isolation I'm sure is part of the problem.

And I believe the *talent* factor is true.

But I can't just throw everything into one of either 2 baskets of conditioning or medical staff.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

I agree.

But the weirdness of not having a conditioning routine because of covid can't help the situation. Being shut down for days or weeks in isolation I'm sure is part of the problem.

And I believe the *talent* factor is true.

But I can't just throw everything into one of either 2 baskets of conditioning or medical staff.

Definitely not, no. We are only trying to explain the differential there often seems to be between the Sabres and league average, not the bulk of the Sabres’ ailments overall

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

We know you lurk here John Wawrow, could you please tell the team on behalf of the fans to redo their medical/training staff. Use the Bills medical staff overhaul as an example and figure out how to help lessen this incredibly injury prone team. Please

The Bills and Sabres use the same panel of doctors.    

But that's besides the point.

How is a doctor supposed to prevent Quinn's injury?

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Definitely not, no. We are only trying to explain the differential there often seems to be between the Sabres and league average, not the bulk of the Sabres’ ailments overall

Over the last 10 years my number one cause would be the talent factor.

The second factor would be medical staff. That is because of Jack and Robin injuries. 

But the man games lost should be lessening if these things are being corrected if true.

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

the Sabres have made a number of changes in their medical staff

You know it could be a case of after the recent history the medical staff is being extremely conservative, especially during a season when the Sabres are not in the playoff race.

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

You know it could be a case of after the recent history the medical staff is being extremely conservative, especially during a season when the Sabres are not in the playoff race.

You mean cya careful... running a full battery of tests because someone sneezed... sore wrist = chest xray... yeah we have ER docs who practice this way hunting a pecking til they find something wrong.

12 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Groin?

Tuch bear hug. Guy doesn't know his own strength.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

We know you lurk here John Wawrow, could you please tell the team on behalf of the fans to redo their medical/training staff. Use the Bills medical staff overhaul as an example and figure out how to help lessen this incredibly injury prone team. Please

I know we're on a roll here, but I do have this from Mike Harrington.

• Haha (+1) 2

What's new. Another player injured. Sabres are bringing injuries to new heights. Something needs to be done via their training department, strength and conditioning coaches, nutrition, how they utilize the cutting edge sports science they have access to, etc...

Since 2016 they have lost the 2nd most man games to injury of any team in the NHL. When it's this consistent a problem, something is not being done properly to help minimize these constant injuries.

in comparison, Bills have ranked in the bottom 5 in man games lost to injury since McDermott has been here precisely because of the focus they put on players getting the proper treatment, rest, training, etc and limiting the amount of distance they run in practice and training camp without days off for maintenance etc...

Sabres clearly aren't utilizing this to their advantage.

Edited by matter2003

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.