Sabres vs Kraken - Is this the most important game of the early season?

GASabresIUFAN

Lets be honest, the Sabres have not looked good the last 4 games except the 3rd period 4 games ago.  Yes they are 2-2-0 in those 4 games, but there are troubling signs.  They gave us 5 goals last night.  The offense has been spotty and the effort lacking.  They have been outshot, out hit and mostly out played.  For a team that can’t win on talent, they must be the aggressor and that isn’t happening of late.

There are also continued positives.  Asplund and VO continue to play well.  The goaltending is holding up so far and 5-3-1 to start the season is very respectable.

That brings me to the Sea game.  They need to win.  Coming home 6-3-1 and 2-2 on a West Coast trip will continue positive momentum. Losing gives them a 1-3 road trip and 5 straight mediocre to bad games.  Talk about a different narrative.  Sea isn’t good and we should be able to beat an ex-Sabre laden expansion team.  DG needs to coach a more complete outing again.

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Nope. Just another game where they're missing a key center, their top scorer (perhaps) and a top pair DMan.

fify

I think part of the story over this last series of games is the injury/depth situation.  If Eakin returns to form, Casey and VO are back soon, it could give the team a nice boost.  If it doesn't happen this game, it probably isn't the end of the world.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jsb said:

There aren't any big games for this team this year. It's strictly a developmental year.

I disagree in that you develop in what you perceive to be big games. The expectation of winning that DG has installed is critical. It should carry through whatever their record. I don't think his teams will run for the bus.

• Like (+1) 2

If you are holding out hopes that this team will at least compete for a wild card spot, they yes, this is a very big game.

However as others have said, its great they started out well, but many of us think this team tops out at 80 points and is more likely to finish below that than above that. We want the team to win and to be entertained, but we expect a few 3 or 4 or 5 game losing streaks this season.  So as others have said, we will enjoy the wins, but this is just another game in the big picture of the season.

Coming off of two losses, wrapping up a long road trip, and playing an expansion team, I can see the OP's point that it is an important game.  I don't think that the points in the standings are that important, but in terms of the team's mindset going forward, it's an important game.  Granato is trying to develop a new culture, so a bounceback after two losses will be good for that culture.  I would argue that this is an important part of a developmental year.

16 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I disagree in that you develop in what you perceive to be big games. The expectation of winning that DG has installed is critical. It should carry through whatever their record. I don't think his teams will run for the bus.

I understand your point and I agree with you, I just don't think any one game is going to be bigger than any of the 82 other games they'll play this year. It will be how the organizational refurbishing turns out in the end.

It was a fun little ride while it happened but come on, troubling signs? This team is so void of talent and we all knew it coming into the season. I am not even quite sure if I liked having that hot start because it reminded me of how badly I miss being competitive. Goodbye fun times, we hardly knew ye

• Like (+1) 1

Important?  I don't know.  I do think this game will be a measuring stick.  Kraken aren't lighting the world afire.  They are perceived too be short of talent, especially scoring.  This game should give us a reading on where this team really slots.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.