• New York State (not WNY)
    • Elsewhere in US
    • Niagara Canada
    • Golden Horseshoe
    • Elsewhere in Ontario
    • Elsewhere Canada
    • International

1 hour ago, carpandean said:

Yeah, I always had too (and still loosely do), but technically it seems that's incorrect.  Like I said, "western New York State" and "Western New York" are two different things.  We certainly are in the western 1/3 (1/4?) of the state, so it's hard to argue with the former as a characterization of where we live.

I think my map is more accurate.

I live in Wyoming County an equal distance from Buffalo and Rochester. Grew up on Cape Cod. Navy from '61-65. Met my wife right out of Navy. She's a lifer of Wyoming County thus we've been here for the fifty five years we've been married. Prior to the Sabres entering the NHL I was a Bruins/Red Sox fan naturally.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/25/2021 at 11:05 AM, carpandean said:

Yeah, I always had too (and still loosely do), but technically it seems that's incorrect.  Like I said, "western New York State" and "Western New York" are two different things.  We certainly are in the western 1/3 (1/4?) of the state, so it's hard to argue with the former as a characterization of where we live.

Syracuse is considered central NY, so in my opinion anything west of Syracuse is western NY. Rochester is definitely not central NY. Even if they want to consider Rochester part of "Finger Lakes" region it is still west of Syracuse and west of central NY. Almost seems like a new way of separating two cities, Buffalo/Rochester and giving them their own geographical  area.  

Edited by Ross Rhea
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Radar said:

I live in Wyoming County an equal distance from Buffalo and Rochester. Grew up on Cape Cod. Navy from '61-65. Met my wife right out of Navy. She's a lifer of Wyoming County thus we've been here for the fifty five years we've been married. Prior to the Sabres entering the NHL I was a Bruins/Red Sox fan naturally.

I went to high school for a couple years in Alexander.

• Like (+1) 1

Grew up in Cheektowaga.  Lived in Tonawanda for 13yrs.  Moved generally east of what most folks think of as metro Buffalo.  

Rochester is Finger Lakes region.  IMO whoever said Batavia is about the end of WNY got it right.  Half of Batavia relates more to Roc than they do to Buf.  Move 10 miles west to Corfu and they definitely relate to Buf.  Leroy is solidly Roc.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Radar said:

All pre-Sabre sins are forgiven.

• Haha (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You guys are silly. Western New York is everything my side of New York City.

Every Western Canadian knows that.

Yup, and upstate NY is everything north of Westchester.

As someone born and raised less than 20 miles from both Canada and Vermont, I always laugh about what I sometimes hear referred to as Upstate NY.  I feel like a lot of people think the state ends at Albany, when in reality you can get on I87 in Albany and drive straight north for 3hrs before reaching the border.

Under no circumstances can anything south of Adirondack Park be considered Upstate NY.

Edited by Curt

Born and raised in Depew.

As an adult, I have lived in New Mexico, Virginia, Ohio, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Georgia, California, Utah, North Carolina, Florida, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), as well as NY sites like Syracuse, Warrensburg and Saranac Lake.

Last year, I moved back to Western NY for the first time in 39 years and now reside in Lockport.  Good to be back home (although I do miss mountains...)

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, RangerDave said:

As an adult, I have lived in New Mexico, Virginia, Ohio, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Georgia, California, Utah, North Carolina, Florida, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (Saipan), as well as NY sites like Syracuse, Warrensburg and Saranac Lake.

I read this part like a Johnny Cash song.

I've been everywhere, man.....

23 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Where is NT?

Here in Canada that is Northwest Territories, next door to Dylan Cozens’’ Yukon.

You had to have lived here to know.  North Tonawanda.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

Bastard better have given you an A 

This actually compelled me to dig up my transcripts. Two classes. Got a B+ in Campaigns and Elections and an A- in Public Opinion. Much better than I remembered, considering I took them during my senior year...s.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Columbus, OH, which I love.  Great city, lots of fun.  Left NY in 2005, and have been in Columbus since 2008.

From Steuben County originally, my mom still lives on Lamoka Lake year round.  It's great to have a hidden gem to travel to and have Hammondsport, Watkins Glen, and Ithaca close by.  Going there this weekend to see Ithaca and then Bills on Sunday.  My first Bills game since 2001.  Stoked and bringing my Ohio girl who I've converted to a Bills fan for her first game.

Fun fact:  My last Bills game I attended in 2001 was against the Colts and I witnessed Peyton Manning's longest career run.  33 yards, untouched. The Bills were so bad and we had a couple decades left to go of pathetic football.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/25/2021 at 4:09 PM, Curt said:

Yup, and upstate NY is everything north of Westchester.

As someone born and raised less than 20 miles from both Canada and Vermont, I always laugh about what I sometimes hear referred to as Upstate NY.  I feel like a lot of people think the state ends at Albany, when in reality you can get on I87 in Albany and drive straight north for 3hrs before reaching the border.

Under no circumstances can anything south of Adirondack Park be considered Upstate NY.

That drive is beautiful by the way.  

• Like (+1) 2

Born in Ithaca NY. Lived in Tonawanda as a young boy for a few years in the mid 70s. Loved sabres ever since. My brother loves the bills. We moved to southwest Arkansas in the mid 70s. (My mom's side of the family) Been here ever since. Lost track of hockey in general until satellite came along. Buy the hockey package every year and watch every sabres game for the last 20 years or so. Been to a couple of sabres games in Dallas. Me and my wife visited family in Ithaca a couple years ago and went to a couple of home games. Really enjoyed that.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

That drive is beautiful by the way.  

It is, especially in Fall.  That drive north always makes me feel good.  The beauty of it combined with the feeling of “going home” always puts me in a good mood.

I’ve driven that stretch of highway from Albany to Plattsburgh, and vice versa, hundreds of times.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.