How Important Is It To Get A Goalie In Any Eichel Trade? ***This is not a poll***

bob_sauve28

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

It is not important at all, you got a goalie in the Reinhart trade. 

The major pieces to replace Eichel need to be centers who have the potential to be first liners.

No, we got a goalie prospect in a the Reinhart trade.  The difference is substantial.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Not important for this year.

ONLY because management is fine with icing a very bad hockey team.

Even bad teams need NHL quality goaltending.  This team MIGHT have a borderline version of it but if they do it will come from Methuselah and Tim Thomas lite.  The odds aren't great that the Sabres landed TWO good goalies from such low success pools.  Even working the "unblocked kids" angle, another NHL goalie would be a good thing.  (3rd year running at least with that being the case.)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Andrew Amerk said:

The Sabres need to get as many skating assets as they can get for John. 

G is not an asset they need. They have 3 G prospects in the pipeline, and no plans of being competitive this season (not tanking, just not good enough). 

Until UPL shows he can be even a top level AHLer, it is tough to consider him a high probability prospect.   Really only see them w/ 2 prospects & 1 prayer.  Wanted that 14th OA pick to be used on 1 of the 2 "can't miss prospects" then they'd've had 3 cracks at a #1 in 3-4 years & 1 other lottery ticket for it.  Could even likely end up w/ 2 legit NHLers out of that.  Rather than just hopefully get there which is where they are now.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Until UPL shows he can be even a top level AHLer, it is tough to consider him a high probability prospect.   Really only see them w/ 2 prospects & 1 prayer.  Wanted that 14th OA pick to be used on 1 of the 2 "can't miss prospects" then they'd've had 3 cracks at a #1 in 3-4 years & 1 other lottery ticket for it.  Could even likely end up w/ 2 legit NHLers out of that.  Rather than just hopefully get there which is where they are now.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m one of those “you should draft a goalie every year because you never know” types. 

I’m also still high on UPL. The Sabres might slightly be trying to rush him a bit, but I still think he will turn out fine with proper AHL seasoning. 

11 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Three years??? images-2.jpg.af0803634d8b54d8dbc6d6ed16e333e8.jpg

In 3 years we MIGHT be okay in goal. Rest of the team will take longer. We might be competitive in 3 years but it'll likely be 5 or more before we can truly think playoffs. and of course if we rush prospects and don't draft well and botch development well we will be tearing it down and tanking again in 5 or 6. 

0%. It should not be something Adams is bringing up in conversations. If a team that's interested has one to offer and wants to include that player you listen but there are other positions to get more sure-fire value out of.

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I heard that about McDavid and Eichel.  It’s simply not true.  

Indeed. It'd take a Cup and a decade of success to ease the burden of these tank years. And then it's not forgetting, it's just moving on.

Goalies are voodoo and I believe it’s a huge mistake to lessen the return on a blue chip asset like Eichel for a goalie another team is ready to give up on.  

I believe the Eichel return must yield a potential 1C prospect and anything short of that is a mistake. Including a goalie is a way to undermine that requirement. 

I am aware of how Hasek came to the Sabres. 

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 1

I am tired of losing.  IF they can get a goalie that helps them win now, they should would jump at the chance.  The youngsters on the team need to find joy in playing now, not 3-5 years from now (as do us fans).  If we can get a goalie that is great for the next 5 years, that is the length of the rest of Eichel's contract, and bridges us until the prospects get good.  I don't think even a healthy, happy Eichel has them winning now, without a goalie who can win now.

That said, I don't know of any team that has a spare great goalie that they would give up in a trade for Eichel.  But, I don't know of any team that would give up a 1C of equal value to Eichel either.  Why would they?  I don't think any team is going to give up anything but prospects for Eichel.  They are interested in getting their team better now.  That means not giving up an equal asset that they need now.

I don't have a lot of faith that an Eichel trade is going to make us better anytime soon.  And I am dreading being a fan for the next 3-5 years while our gained prospect assets, #1 OA pick, and prospect goalies all get decent.  That is a lot of hopefuls that may not pan out (and have historically not panned out).

Whatever is takes to win now, we need to do it.  Pinning hopes on prospects is getting very old.  Screw the #1 OA.  That plan has not worked at all for us.

With the Bills, I used to say not "Wait 'til next year!", but "Wait 'til the year after next, because we are gonna still suck this year!"  With the Sabres, I say, "Wait 'til 5 years from now!"  And that sucks.....

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

I am tired of losing.  IF they can get a goalie that helps them win now, they should would jump at the chance.  The youngsters on the team need to find joy in playing now, not 3-5 years from now (as do us fans).  If we can get a goalie that is great for the next 5 years, that is the length of the rest of Eichel's contract, and bridges us until the prospects get good.  I don't think even a healthy, happy Eichel has them winning now, without a goalie who can win now.

That said, I don't know of any team that has a spare great goalie that they would give up in a trade for Eichel.  But, I don't know of any team that would give up a 1C of equal value to Eichel either.  Why would they?  I don't think any team is going to give up anything but prospects for Eichel.  They are interested in getting their team better now.  That means not giving up an equal asset that they need now.

I don't have a lot of faith that an Eichel trade is going to make us better anytime soon.  And I am dreading being a fan for the next 3-5 years while our gained prospect assets, #1 OA pick, and prospect goalies all get decent.  That is a lot of hopefuls that may not pan out (and have historically not panned out).

Whatever is takes to win now, we need to do it.  Pinning hopes on prospects is getting very old.  Screw the #1 OA.  That plan has not worked at all for us.

With the Bills, I used to say not "Wait 'til next year!", but "Wait 'til the year after next, because we are gonna still suck this year!"  With the Sabres, I say, "Wait 'til 5 years from now!"  And that sucks.....

Well said 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.