How Important Is It To Get A Goalie In Any Eichel Trade? ***This is not a poll***

bob_sauve28

Opinions differ. I would argue that it should be a priority. We are in serious doo doo at that position, and not just for this year. The goalie prospects we have are several years away. UPL could be the exception, but so far the results have not been good. 

Not arguing it should be a necessity in the trade, but a priority. I get that contract issues or other facts could make it impossible to do a good trade with a goalie part of it and I wouldn't not do a trade simply because we can't get a net minder in return. But, again, it should be a priority. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m sure obtaining an NHL caliber goalie is counter to the plan for this season, but we don’t have any sure things at goalie to plan on for the future.  I think a decent goalie with term needs to be part of the salary coming back in an Eichel trade.

Doesn't matter and I don't expect it.

Several prospects in the system and the team is not expected to be competitive this year.  No need for a stud goalie.  One could argue that having a merely capable goalie (not too many softies but won't steal you games) is preferred as it will force defensive responsibility in the skaters.... then inject a good goalie and the team is suddenly competitive.

As winning isn't the goal this year & is actually kind of anathema to it, a goalie won't be the primary piece coming back.  Hoping one is the 2nd or 3rd component as that should still be an upgrade, but not holding my breath.

Am still very frustrated they took a step back this year, when it wasn't necessary.  So, though they NEED a goalie, not expecting 1 this year.

Having a great goalie is like having a great quarterback.  It is needed if your goal is to win a Cup.  If that type of goalie is available in the trade you take it.  Being able to play an up tempo style while making mistakes will require a top end goalie.  However, if one is not available and you get what you were looking for, make the deal.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

Having a great goalie is like having a great quarterback.  It is needed if your goal is to win a Cup.  If that type of goalie is available in the trade you take it.  Being able to play an up tempo style while making mistakes will require a top end goalie.  However, if one is not available and you get what you were looking for, make the deal.

And doing the analogy to the Bills:  The team was built up pretty good when Josh Allen arrived.  (There have been improvements since then, but it was a competitive team when he stepped in the door.)

38 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

Thats not true at all .

The Sabres seem to have either no ability or no desire to acquire a goalie.  

It should not be this hard but they apparently don’t want to spend assets or dollars on goaltending with UPL, Portillo, and Levi in the pipeline.  They are not focused on winning now. 

They are going to lose a lot of games this season and it will take a toll on players and the fanbase. 

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Not very important. You trade Jack and you're looking to get futures. This team has futures for goalies already.

Every piece that returns should be one for both the short and long term.  If they're receiving a goalie, that player shouldn't be a bridge to someone in their system especially if they carry a decent cap hit.   

And if a younger goalie comes back, how does that player impact Sabres' goalie development?  What if UPL plays well at Rochester and they see him worthy of elevating?  That newly acquired guy would definitely stand in the way.

Top-6 forwards are at a premium and I'd hate to see them sacrifice receiving one back because the self-imposed goalie situation was up to par. 

Edited by SabresVet

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The Sabres seem to have either no ability or no desire to acquire a goalie.  

It should not be this hard but they apparently don’t want to spend assets or dollars on goaltending with UPL, Portillo, and Levi in the pipeline.  They are not focused on winning now. 

They are going to lose a lot of games this season and it will take a toll on players and the fanbase. 

"If" they land wright  the fanbase will forget this year 

Edited by Buffalonill

Okay I think fans have to either get onboard with the obvious tank plan or find another hobby because the plan seems obvious and a goalie isn't coming to us in any shape or form. A IC would be a big piece obviously but at this stage it might even be all draft picks stretching over years who knows, cause there is obviously no plan to get good fast and win in the short term. This was a full tear down and the rebuild will be slow.

The goalies of the future are UPL, Levi and Portello.  UPL will be first, but he might be the worst of the three. In 3 years we might be okay. 

Face it, this is the fight for Wright year nothing more nothing less.

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Okay I think fans have to either get onboard with the obvious tank plan or find another hobby because the plan seems obvious and a goalie isn't coming to us in any shape or form. A IC would be a big piece obviously but at this stage it might even be all draft picks stretching over years who knows, cause there is obviously no plan to get good fast and win in the short term. This was a full tear down and the rebuild will be slow.

The goalies of the future are UPL, Levi and Portello.  UPL will be first, but he might be the worst of the three. In 3 years we might be okay. 

Face it, this is the fight for Wright year nothing more nothing less.

Three years??? images-2.jpg.af0803634d8b54d8dbc6d6ed16e333e8.jpg

This team has a lot of holes to be filled, it has a lot of room for 'prospects' to become regulars or stars of the future. With that said, you take the BEST player/prospects available in a trade proposal. If one of them happens to be a goalie, great, take it.  If you get better players/prospects that are not goalies...then great you take them.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.