Expansion Draft -- Wed. July 21, 2021 (Release the Kraken)

Hoss

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

there's only about 4 teams that haven't had their picks leaked and Buffalo is one... because of course we are

Either that or the other teams just don't care as much as the Sabres (and fans) do about keeping quiet about losing the 10th-20th best player on their roster.

Edited by mjd1001

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

first blush doesn't seem to be as strong as Vegas and I'm surprised they didn't take Tarasenko if only to trade him to someone else.

I agree.

Maybe some of those picks weren't about making their team good today...but rather they have already had discussions with other teams about trading some of these picks for players that WILL help them.

You know, get the draft done tonight...let everyone look at their roster across the league...and then start dealing, especially with the teams that might be willing to trade you quality players for cap room/lower priced players.

3 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

first blush doesn't seem to be as strong as Vegas and I'm surprised they didn't take Tarasenko if only to trade him to someone else.

Yeah, a lot of these picks are not what I would have chosen but then again I don't know anything about other players in the league and there's a damn good reason I'm not an NHL GM.

22 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I would have thought a lot of people in Seattle would be a lot more knowledgeable by now.  They are SO close to Vancouver. Just as we can get games out of Canada here (hockey night in canada) I would think they can also.

I mean, Seattle and Vancouver aren't that much farther apart than Buffalo and Rochester are (a little, but the northern suburbs of Seattle are just over an hour away from the suburbs of Vancouver.)

To be fair, it's just a couple hosts and their producer talking at the moment. I know one of the daytime hosts is really into hockey and does the T-Bird play-by-play/coverage so he'll know it. But at the moment, as an example, they read off as one of the names dropped McDermid from the Kings... who's just a guy.

If they take any calls, the sports fans will know more.

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

To be fair, it's just a couple hosts and their producer talking at the moment. I know one of the daytime hosts is really into hockey and does the T-Bird play-by-play/coverage so he'll know it. But at the moment, as an example, they read off as one of the names dropped McDermid from the Kings... who's just a guy.

If they take any calls, the sports fans will know more.

Might be a good idea to find a former player or coach who  lives in the area (even if from Vancouver) and offer a position on the radio station.  We know in Buffalo that many retired players love to get into broadcasting with their free time, it might be a good investment for one of their sports talk stations.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Ok, you lost Borgen. He might have been a very good 3rd pair guy, or a decent 2nd pair guy.  Now go out and get someone as good as or better to replace him. If you are going to trade Jack, Sam, and Risto, you should get a lot back. A young D-man who is just as good as Borgen as part of that package shouldn't be too tall of an ask.

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Ok, you lost Borgen. He might have been a very good 3rd pair guy, or a decent 2nd pair guy.  Now go out and get someone as good as or better to replace him. If you are going to trade Jack, Sam, and Risto, you should get a lot back. A young D-man who is just as good as Borgen as part of that package shouldn't be too tall of an ask.

Hopefully the replacement isn’t too physical.  We don’t want to give fans the wrong impression. 😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

This is true, and this is still better then giving up a future pick and asking Seattle to take Okposo or Miller. Maybe there is hope for this new regime.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

luther rage GIF

With all the Dman they are picking Borgen will be low on the pecking order.  If Seattle tries to send him down he has to clear waivers and the Sabres would be first in line to make a claim, or so I've heard.  It is very possible (likely?) that we will get him back.

• Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

It's the best choice from a Seattle perspective.

Not really presuming the other rumored choices are also correct.

Barring several trades (which could obviously still happen) or injuries there is little likelihood that Borgen is one of their top 8 D on opening night.  Which effectively gives him back to Buffalo in October if Adams wants him back.

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You gonna say the opposite when Eichel and Reinhart get traded tomorrow?

I have no ***** clue how 6th defender Will Borgen makes it so we should get Owen Power. 

They're not getting traded. 😉

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.