Is Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen Our Second Goalie Next Season?

bob_sauve28

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I don't see Ullmark coming back, and UPL isn't ready yet.

Why? It's not likes Ullmark is a top goaltending free agent. There's a glut of goalies on the market and with his injury history, who's going to pay him?

If he doesn't come back it will be by Adams' choice. Or it will be a short term deal.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why? It's not likes Ullmark is a top goaltending free agent. There's a glut of goalies on the market and with his injury history, who's going to pay him?

If he doesn't come back it will be by Adams' choice. Or it will be a short term deal.

Ullmark is the best available goalie on the free agent market and will be one of the stories of next season.

Too bad the story will be about how the Sabres let him get away.

UPL needs games and needs to prove he is a top AHL goalie before he makes the leap.

Buffalo will have acquired a new goalie by the time the draft is over, and I don’t mean by drafting one.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Sign Ullmark and hope he is ok, use UPL for 30 or so games and have Houser and Tokarski in Rochester? 

Not sure I'd feel entirely confident in that plan but it could work out I suppose

If Kevyn Adams does nothing at goaltender, he's failed that particular prerequisite 

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Ullmark is the best available goalie on the free agent market and will be one of the stories of next season.

UPL needs games and needs to prove he is a top AHL goalie before he makes the leap.

Buffalo will have acquired a new goalie by the time the draft is over, and I don’t mean by drafting one.

Better make it 2 - even "upgrading" Ullmark leaves us one missing, just like last year

• Like (+1) 2

Not sure that I see UPL up until at the earliest the second half.  I think it's much more likely it's a tier 3 goalie and Houser or Tokarski.  Unless for some ungodly reason we trade for a "Gibson, Merzlikins, Korpisalo" type.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So you're ranking Linus above Tukka Rask, Pekka Rinne, Kevin Dubnyk, Frederick Anderson?  🙄

8 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Not sure that I see UPL up until at the earliest the second half.  I think it's much more likely it's a tier 3 goalie and Houser or Tokarski.  Unless for some ungodly reason we trade for a "Gibson, Merzlikins, Korpisalo" type.  

This team needs to bring in a goalie.  I’d be thrilled with any of aforementioned or any other goalie that can stop the puck. 

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

So you're ranking Linus above Tukka Rask, Pekka Rinne, Kevin Dubnyk, Frederick Anderson?  🙄

Rask it old and needs hip surgery, Rinne has sucked for awhile and just retired, Dubnyk has sucked for awhile and is older, and Anderson sucked last year...so yeah.

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If Linus doesn’t want to come back (who would) and fight for a job elsewhere, best of luck to him wherever he lands.  

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'd rank UPL above Dubnyk, he has been terrible for two years.  Freddie is the top of the available list there.  Rask has already said, I will play in Boston, or retire and go back to Finland.

30 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I’d take Rask over Linus on a one-year deal, but otherwise yes.

Your post (which isn’t an unusual view) is typical of someone who hasn’t paid enough attention to how well Linus has played  the past two years and how mediocre to bad some of the more “name” guys have been.

I’ll say it again. The Sabres - the pathetic, horrrible, talentless, embarrassing mess Sabres are a 90+ point team over the past two years with Linus in net: 26/20/6. .916 SP. On Buffalo.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Your post (which isn’t an unusual view) is typical of someone who hasn’t paid enough attention to how well Linus has played  the past two years and how mediocre to bad some of the more “name” guys have been.

I’ll say it again. The Sabres - the pathetic, horrrible, talentless, embarrassing mess Sabres are 90+ point team over the past two years with Linus in net: 26/20/6. .916 SP. On Buffalo.

Have to shake your head at the backup situation when you read a stat like this

• Like (+1) 1

I hope that we are not planning on having UPL on the Sabres this year.  Seems allot like the year we asked Mittelstadt to be our 2nd line center right out of school after trading O'Reilly (wasn't a good plan on paper and didn't work).

He needs time to play as a number 1 in the AHL.  He's had some time but hasn't put up great numbers.  Plan for another year in the AHL with potential to call up in case of injury (and hopefully we are healthier in goal this year).

I do hope that we figure out something to keep Ullmark here but it may very well come after our trades give a better look at next year's roster and if we will have a chance at being competitive.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I’ll say it again. The Sabres - the pathetic, horrrible, talentless, embarrassing mess Sabres are a 90+ point team over the past two years with Linus in net: 26/20/6. .916 SP. On Buffalo.

Linus has steadily gotten better during his development time. Getting his level of play for a full season puts us in contention for the lower rung playoff qualifiers (assuming a fair return on the traded players). That would be a significant jump up. However, as you well know there are legitimate concerns about his durability. If the Sabres and he don't come to terms this offseason it will most likely be because he doesn't want to be here. The GM needs to bring in another goaltender, or maybe two, this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

If the stories are true, the answer to this question will be the indicator of how much influence TPeg has on the final roster. If the owners say UPL is a Sabre this season (as stories have indicated they thought he should be up a year or so ago), then I think we're in trouble. UPL's future is bright. But before he can visit the stars, he has to dominate the AHL and get about... what... another 60? 80? professional games before we can feel comfortable in his consistency. (COVID/short season last year stunted many a prospect's future -- including Jonas Johansson, who should've been an Amerk and not wasting away. But UPL also missed out on about 10 starts last season because of the shortened season and his injury, and his games were split across the Atlantic, to boot. He's behind his development path now.) Come next season 2022-23 we can start thinking of NHL backup duty, but ideally it's just call-up spots. Then, 2023-24, earn the backup or even 1A/1B outright.

Patience! Soon, he will be with us.

• Like (+1) 1

imo the only way Ullmark comes back is if nobody else offers him good money and we drastically over pay him and I don't really like that scenario. I'm with the majority and feel UPL should be in Rochester for the year. KA needs to make signing a couple goalies a priority but I'm not sure he will. Haven't heard a word about needing a goalie from them so I worry they think it's going to be UPL now in a learn on the job bit of folly.

My preference would be  to find a way to get Merzlikins in here. Dubnyk could be an affordable back up. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hasn’t Rask already made it public that it’s Boston or retirement for him?

Pekka Rinna is bad, and might be retiring too.

Kevin Dubnyk!  the goalie so good that you don’t know his name.  He has been bad the past two seasons.

Frederick Anderson has not been too good in a couple years.

I think you are giving guys too much credit for their past reputations and not looking at how they have actually played the past couple years.  I would take Ullmark over any of them, excluding Rask.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.