Shopping Jack Eichel: Colorado

dudacek

Will they be interested?

Apparently? The Avs have one of the most star-studded rosters in the league and will have to buck up big time in the next year or two for Grubauer, Makar, Landeskog and MacKinnon, so one would think it would be exceedingly difficult to accommodate Eichel and his $10 million under the cap. But they are oh so close to a cup and may see a stud to anchor their 2nd line as the missing piece. And it was reported this week that they have entered the bidding.

Do they have the pieces?

They have the most important piece: a prospect with 1C potential in Alex Newhook. They also have blue-chip defence prospect Bowen Byrum. Beyond that, the prospect pool is a little thin and the Sabres would almost certainly be taking a contract back, since the Avalanche has $25 million in space to re-sign or replace Saad, Landeskog, Grubauer and Makar.

Would this work?

Newhook, Girard, Jost, Compher and a 1st for Eichel, the Bruins 2nd and Asplund

Asplund for Compher gives Sakic a similar player at a lot cheaper price. Girard opens up an expansion protection spot for Graves while Byrum fills his role. The Sabres meanwhile get their 1C prospect, and a quality young PMD on a long-term deal in Girard while adding a couple lottery tickets in Jost and the 1st.

Is there a deal to be made with the Avalanche?

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I like this one better. It's all about that centre. 

"Newhook combines his sublime skating with the hands to make plays at top speed. He also has the smarts to seemingly always make a smart play with the puck. He has the ability to beat defenders with his finesse, and the power game to play in the dirty areas of the ice. Newhook sees the ice well and can find teammates to create a scoring chance. He has the passing skills through tight areas on both his forehand and backhand. Newhook is a playmaker both working the cycle game and off the rush.

A multi-faceted offensive threat, Newhook also has a great shot and a quick release. His one-timer is a real weapon in the faceoff circles. He is not afraid to battle on the boards and to fight for position in front of the net. He is also willing to get to the dirty areas of the ice and take a hit to make a play. Newhook has everything that a scout could want in a top centre."

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2019/04/19/alex-newhook-scouting-report/

Edited by Thorny

Interesting.  Newhook was drafted #16 overall in 2019.  He's 5'10", 190 lbs.  He turns 21 in January.  He's Canadian (from Newfoundland), but attended Boston College for 2 years after being drafted.  In his D+1 year, 2019-2020, the end of which was terminated by Covid, he put up 42 pts in 34 games at BC.  Last season, in his D+2 year, he had 16 pts in 12 games at BC, had 3 pts in 6 games for Colorado and 9 pts in 8 games for their AHL team.

He looks like a real blue-chip C prospect.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Interesting.  Newhook was drafted #16 overall in 2019.  He's 5'10", 190 lbs.  He turns 21 in January.  He's Canadian (from Newfoundland), but attended Boston College for 2 years after being drafted.  In his D+1 year, 2019-2020, the end of which was terminated by Covid, he put up 42 pts in 34 games at BC.  Last season, in his D+2 year, he had 16 pts in 12 games at BC, had 3 pts in 6 games for Colorado and 9 pts in 8 games for their AHL team.

He looks like a real blue-chip C prospect.

I like him more than Turcotte but a bit less than Zegras. By field may end up as the best of this bunch but I don’t have confidence in that yet.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Zegras gets the slight edge from me. 

A Jack trade with Anaheim that includes Zegras, Comtois and a 3OA would make me happy. If by chance Reinhart was retained I would be even more happy. If you then upgrade the goaltending this Granato team is competitive and more enjoyable to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been trying to come up with trade scenarios as I think the Avs will need to move some contracts so they can pay Makar and McKinninen.  Not sure how it would look but maybe Kadri and one of their higher paid D need to be included?  Idk.  

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

lol he's not coming here. No I was saying if they lose Landeskog in UFA they might be motivated to replace him with a center. 

I’m aware of your intentions.  Just like to dream once in a while. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.