Chicago Blackhawks Sexual Assault Allegations

WildCard

10 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Why the ***** does that matter?

For what happened to Beach it doesn't.  But for understanding the story & whether there is still another shoe to be dropped, as @Eleven stated, it does matter.  Either the initial reporting was inaccurate or there are two more people that allegedly were victimized by the coach that we don't know about.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Chevy’s meeting with Bettman was moved up from Monday to today.  I think you can guarantee there will be a new GM in Winnipeg.

I think so to.  Chevy’s only defense was he was a AGM and had no “power” but that rings hollow when you realize he kept quiet for 11 years.  He honestly should be gone. 

The next steps are cleaning house at the NHLPA.  The Union has a duty to it’s players to protect them even more than the teams.  Once the Union knew what happened to Beach they did nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  Fehr and his leadership group need to go.

The Blackhawks and the Union need to writing Beach and his family really large checks to compensate him for the damage they caused.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think so to.  Chevy’s only defense was he was a AGM and had no “power” but that rings hollow when you realize he kept quiet for 11 years.  He honestly should be gone. 

The next steps are cleaning house at the NHLPA.  The Union has a duty to it’s players to protect them even more than the teams.  Once the Union knew what happened to Beach they did nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  Fehr and his leadership group need to go.

The Blackhawks and the Union need to writing Beach and his family really large checks to compensate him for the damage they caused.

The Blackhawks and Union need to write even bigger checks to the kid in Michigan who Aldrich never would of had a chance to abuse if anyone in Chicago and the Union had the moral compass and courage to do what was necessary in the first place. They are all complicit in a minor in Michigan being abused by a sexual predator. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

The Blackhawks and Union need to write even bigger checks to the kid in Michigan who Aldrich never would of had a chance to abuse if anyone in Chicago and the Union had the moral compass and courage to do what was necessary in the first place. They are all complicit in a minor in Michigan being abused by a sexual predator. 

Exactly the blackhawks should get the biggest punishment in history for letting a monster back in the world when they knew exactly who he was

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Chevaldayov gets a free pass. BS. 

It is BS.  If he was a stand up guy, he would step aside.  There is no innocent bystander, if he was in the room, and/or was privy about the attitudes of his boss…he needs to go. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Chevaldayov gets a free pass. BS. 

Shameful. He is every bit as complicit in Aldrich’s abuse of that minor in Michigan as Quennevile and the rest of those gutless wonders in the Blackhawk organization. 

• Like (+1) 8

The NHLPA has a duty to protect its members.  I just read that Don Fehr was told about the accusation.  I don't care that Kyle Beach was in the minors -- Fehr had a duty to report to the authorities what might have been going on.

Disgusting.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

It is BS.  If he was a stand up guy, he would step aside.  There is no innocent bystander if he was in the room, and/or was privy about the attitudes of his boss…he needs to go. 

He was in that room. They have said "he was the lowest ranking person in the room" but he was in it. he kept his mouth shut like the rest of them. 

Let's not forget that that 16 year old, whoever he is, doesn't get assaulted if any one of them speaks up. 

I also think, although don't quote me on it I might have it wrong, but didn't Chevaldayov say much earlier that he didn't know? So in other words, he lied while he could. In any event, it's BS.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Everyone needs to settle down.

I find all the torches and pitchforks a little ridiculous.

Think about actual human interactions. It takes so few to create this sh!tstorm.

I choose to believe that most of the parties involved thought, "Nah. There is no way that happened." Not, "Ooh, that happened. Let's cover it up because we are winning."

There is the real possibility that the bystander effect is also at play here. 

If employee D knows employee C knows about it and employee C knows employee B knows about it… then it is hard to blame employee D for their superiors failings. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, SDS said:

There is the real possibility that the bystander effect is also at play here. 

If employee D knows employee C knows about it and employee C knows employee B knows about it… then it is hard to blame employee D for their superiors failings. 

We have whistleblower laws for a reason. Chevy knew what happened to Beach, knew for 11 years that nothing was done to help Beach by the Hawks and the NHLPA and did nothing himself. It would have been nice if at least one underlying would have stepped up and blew the whistle.  Apparently Chevy was more interested in protecting his career then doing what is right.  If I owned WPG, I’d fire Chevy.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

Someone on WGR just articulated the awesome idea that Aldrich's name should remain on the Cup, but should be defaced with a line through it or scratched through or something, so that everyone who sees the Cup wonders why and finds out.  It's a great idea.  It's better than removing it.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Eleven said:

Someone on WGR just articulated the awesome idea that Aldrich's name should remain on the Cup, but should be defaced with a line through it or scratched through or something, so that everyone who sees the Cup wonders why and finds out.  It's a great idea.  It's better than removing it.

From the article I read, the name can't be removed, only covered.

Precedent was set when Peter Pocklington put his dad's name on the cup.

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We have whistleblower laws for a reason. Chevy knew what happened to Beach, knew for 11 years that nothing was done to help Beach by the Hawks and the NHLPA and did nothing himself. It would have been nice if at least one underlying would have stepped up and blew the whistle.  Apparently Chevy was more interested in protecting his career then doing what is right.  If I owned WPG, I’d fire Chevy.  

Whistleblower laws don't address the bystander effect that Scott is talking about, though.  

For those unfamiliar, the bystander effect refers to the very real phenomenon that when there are many people witnessing a situation, all assume that someone else is going to take action.  A classic example is a mugging on a busy city street:  The bystanders all stand and stare, thinking that someone else is going to intervene; meanwhile, the victim gets knocked on her head and her purse is stolen.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

From the article I read, the name can't be removed, only covered.

Precedent was set when Peter Pocklington put his dad's name on the cup.

It's the NHL, not the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.  Can't it do whatever it wants? 

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Whistleblower laws don't address the bystander effect that Scott is talking about, though.  

For those unfamiliar, the bystander effect refers to the very real phenomenon that when there are many people witnessing a situation, all assume that someone else is going to take action.  A classic example is a mugging on a busy city street:  The bystanders all stand and stare, thinking that someone else is going to intervene; meanwhile, the victim gets knocked on her head and her purse is stolen.

It's the NHL, not the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.  Can't it do whatever it wants? 

The article didn't elaborate, but the impression it gave was that it is a physical issue, not a philosophical one.

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The article didn't elaborate, but the impression it gave was that it is a physical issue, not a philosophical one.

Ah, I misunderstood... so they'd have to build a whole new ring. Makes sense.  So then they should be able to scratch through the name on the existing Cups.

Edited by Eleven

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I wasn’t talking about the bystander effect, which isn’t relevant in this case. Chevy wasn’t a bystander.  He wasn’t a witness.  Chevy was in the meeting when the facts were disclosed and a decision by management made to bury it.  I understand he had no power to override that decision, but legally he’d have been protected had he exposed the coverup.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.