John Wawrow says the Coaching Search Should be Completed Within the Week

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Some who advocate blowing it up should realize we've pretty much put ourselves in the position we're in by doing that. From management down. I know it's probably not happening but Rhino should be signed long term if he is willing. Jack, unfortunately, has set himself up to get out. Both the organization and Jack have responsibility in that.

I agree with everything you said. My ire is directed toward the organization and not the players wanting out. Ideally, Jack and Sam would be kept and be surrounded with more talent. The irony is that belatedly there is a growing young core that is ready to provide more support for Jack and Sam. However, when one side of the relationship doesn't want what the other side of the relationship wants then you have to adjust to the new reality. My sense is that the markers have been drawn and they can't be erased. So you have no choice other than to make the best of the situation that you can.

Given what I have said I want to make it clear that if you can't get a reasonable deal for Jack then you keep him until you can get it. No more ROR fiasco deals that set you back! If a trade proposal is made by Anaheim that doesn't include Zegras and a top pick then the phone should be put down. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Connecting a lot of dots, but is it fair to say Jack doesn't think the structure moving forward (KA+the Pegulas+Granato+the youngens) will give him a chance to win?

Definitely. I don’t think Jack is a deep enough thinker to go beyond the Pegulas haven’t given him a chance in three tries, he’s not waiting around for a 4th.

I would say we would have been at this point last year, but Jack bought in to Krueger, and the Sabres gave him what he wanted with Hall, Eakin, and Staal.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Radar said:

Some who advocate blowing it up should realize we've pretty much put ourselves in the position we're in by doing that. From management down. I know it's probably not happening but Rhino should be signed long term if he is willing. Jack, unfortunately, has set himself up to get out. Both the organization and Jack have responsibility in that.

This notion of "blowing it up" is silly to me. What exactly are we blowing up? There's nothing to "blow up". It's a big bag of ***** that's DEAD LAST in the league again. What exactly are you so desperate to hang on to???????

I don't want to get rid of anybody young. Just the old rotten core that has given us absolutely NOTHING and is not committed to being here or the team. You can debate who's fault that is but it doesn't matter. It is what it is, there is no foundation to build off of and there is simply no choice but to start over UNLESS you enjoy being dead last and want another decade of it. I don't. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Connecting a lot of dots, but is it fair to say Jack doesn't think the structure moving forward (KA+the Pegulas+Granato+the youngens) will give him a chance to win?

No.  Eichel, like every athlete, lives in the moment. 

At this moment, Eichel seems most concerned with getting healthy and getting back on the ice.

All the rest is speculation and projection from the fans and media.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Definitely. Said as much yesterday when we were going back and forth about culture 

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You succinctly made Jack's case as to why he  wants to be moved; and correspondingly made a case why he should be moved. 

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I think it is also fair to say that KA has come to the conclusion that Jack doesn’t give the team its best chance to win GIVEN THE DIRECTION KA PLANS FOR THE TEAM.

Not in terms of talent, but in terms of culture.

• Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think it is also fair to say that KA has come to the conclusion that Jack doesn’t give the team its best chance to win GIVEN THE DIRECTION KA PLANS FOR THE TEAM.

Not in terms of talent, but in terms of culture.

I mean it's not like we did a culture trade a few years back that ended up one of the biggest disasters in hockey history or anything.

Why learn from history when you can repeat it?

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I mean it's not like we did a culture trade a few years back that ended up one of the biggest disasters in hockey history or anything.

Why learn from history when you can repeat it?

I hate this line of thought.  We weren’t successful once at X with Y calling the shots so we won’t be successful this time with Z calling the shots.

Lots of teams have done this and came out of it OK.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Weave said:

I hate this line of thought.  We weren’t successful once at X with Y calling the shots so we won’t be successful this time with Z calling the shots.

Hey, would you feel better if we see another overused “it’s the only joke I’ve got that has traction” giraffe pic/gif?  I know I would! 😂

15 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Hey, would you feel better if we see another overused “it’s the only joke I’ve got that has traction” giraffe pic/gif?  I know I would! 😂

I need to find a “ beating a dead giraffe” gif.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Weave said:

If you were to go back and look at the most spectacularly awful trades in hockey history the vast majority were done because of "culture change". The idea that Jack is the problem suggests that Adams is a complete fool who is about to get sharked.

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

If you were to go back and look at the most spectacularly awful trades in hockey history the vast majority were done because of "culture change". The idea that Jack is the problem suggests that Adams is a complete fool who is about to get sharked.

I'm ready to say Jack is a problem. The only problem? Maybe because he's a captain wbo acts like nothing like one.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Radar said:

I'm ready to say Jack is a problem. The only problem? Maybe because he's a captain wbo acts like nothing like one.

I think it’s risky picking your star player as captain.  He better be captain material. If you’re just picking him because he’s your best player, you’re going to have a problem.  

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I really hope they don’t pick a captain next season. The HC, likely to be Granato, should be the captain and have the final say in all matters. If someone presents himself as the leader, then great news. 

Just go with 3 A's 🙂

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I have more than one joke:

What do you do when you face an elephant with three balls?

Walk him and pitch to the rhino!

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Why are people getting upset about the notion of blowing up a last overall team and trading away players that have not made a single playoff appearance?  I think Adams has the right idea, it is if he can execute it that remains to be seen.

“Blowing it all up” to me,, implies trading away 75% of the current roster and all prospects are fair game to trade away too. A cleansing with the hope and prayer that the current GM can replenish and improve the team. Either you trust KA to do that. Or you dislike him for whatever flavor of the day reason and don’t trust him to pull off a “blow it all up” maneuver.

Every year since the days of TM, 10 or more roster or prospects trades have been done by the GM’s. And even though that hasn’t resulted in a winning organization, it’s not because of a lack of roster moves. It’s a lack of enough smarter, better, more effective roster moves. Paired with poor coaching choices.

Frankly I think the past few seasons, every GM has done their own “blow it up” roster changes. Look at the roster from last season. Then look at the roster from the prior season. Then look at the roster from the season before that. The roster and prospect pool get pretty “blown up” every year. More or less. 

Some want scorched earth trade away almost everyone. Meh…. I think that’s a poor decision. And the reason of “well we haven’t won anything so blow it up” is low hanging simple minded fruit.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.