John Wawrow says the Coaching Search Should be Completed Within the Week

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

“Blowing it all up” to me,, implies trading away 75% of the current roster and all prospects are fair game to trade away too. A cleansing with the hope and prayer that the current GM can replenish and improve the team. Either you trust KA to do that. Or you dislike him for whatever flavor of the day reason and don’t trust him to pull off a “blow it all up” maneuver.

Every year since the days of TM, 10 or more roster or prospects trades have been done by the GM’s. And even though that hasn’t resulted in a winning organization, it’s not because of a lack of roster moves. It’s a lack of enough smarter, better, more effective roster moves. Paired with poor coaching choices.

Frankly I think the past few seasons, every GM has done their own “blow it up” roster changes. Look at the roster from last season. Then look at the roster from the prior season. Then look at the roster from the season before that. The roster and prospect pool get pretty “blown up” every year. More or less. 

Some want scorched earth trade away almost everyone. Meh…. I think that’s a poor decision. And the reason of “well we haven’t won anything so blow it up” is low hanging simple minded fruit.

People underestimate coaching impact 

but all your vet players being tainted by a decade of bad coaching isn’t fixable. Better to blow it up

Our other GMs just moved the ancillary pieces. Risto/Reino/Eichel core has persisted 

7 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Why are people getting upset about the notion of blowing up a last overall team and trading away players that have not made a single playoff appearance?  I think Adams has the right idea, it is if he can execute it that remains to be seen.

I have the same reaction when I see fear/trepidation/resistance of and to Terry selling the team. He's Ville Leino in year 11.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

People underestimate coaching impact 

but all your vet players being tainted by a decade of bad coaching isn’t fixable. Better to blow it up

Our other GMs just moved the ancillary pieces. Risto/Reino/Eichel core has persisted 

I'm a proud Sabres fan and enjoy being a member of its community of supporters, but after reading these comments I really believe that the team's ineptitude has given us Stockholm syndrome.

12 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Each day that goes by kind of makes you wonder if it really is Granato. 

I feel like if it was, this would be over with already.

Edit: In that same sense, it also feels like Boudreau is out of the running too.

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

I feel like if it was, this would be over with already.

Edit: In that same sense, it also feels like Boudreau is out of the running too.

Based on everything that's been written, it seems that, yes, Adams is waiting to talk to Lambert to finish this search.  But that Granato will be the one getting the job at the end of the day.

38 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Based on everything that's been written, it seems that, yes, Adams is waiting to talk to Lambert to finish this search.  But that Granato will be the one getting the job at the end of the day.

So they're going to settle for Granato.

Great.  smh

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They are making the correct call. Too bad you don't see that.

Do better.

This is Ron Rolston part duex... they're basically the same person (same USA hockey background).

The only difference being Rolston went 15-11-5 (35pts) to end the 2012-13 season before being hired full-time, whereas Granato went 9-16-3 (21pts) over about the same number of games (28 vs 31).     

If he's hired, what that tells me is simply that no other qualified candidates wanted to come here.  

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Do better.

This is Ron Rolston part duex... they're basically the same person (same USA hockey background).

The only difference being Rolston went 15-11-5 (35pts) to end the 2012-13 season before being hired full-time, whereas Granato went 9-16-3 (21pts) over about the same number of games (28 vs 31).     

If he's hired, what that tells me is simply that no other qualified candidates wanted to come here.  

Except that's not even close to being true.

Granado has a ton more games under his belt coaching then Rolston did. A lot more experience at the NHL level, and a lot more depth of experience at the AHL level. Rolston had very little of that.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Except that's not even close to being true.

Granado has a ton more games under his belt coaching then Rolston did. A lot more experience at the NHL level, and a lot more depth of experience at the AHL level. Rolston had very little of that.

Not true.

Rolston had 12 years coaching at the NCAA D1 level before heading up the NTDP U17 team and then being hired as Amerks head coach.    Granato had 13 years coaching experience (USHL/AHL) before heading up the NTDP U17 team.    Their backgrounds are very similar, they're the same age, both played in the WCHA at the same time, and had short careers in the ECHL.   

It's just more of the classic Sabres "let's keep doing the same thing over and over and hope it works out this time" mentality. 

Edited by pi2000

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

IMHO - there was never any doubt....it was already decided by the end of the season.  The so-called search is merely a check the box exercise.

19 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Not true.

Rolston had 12 years coaching at the NCAA D1 level before heading up the NTDP U17 team and then being hired as Amerks head coach.    Granato had 13 years coaching experience (USHL/AHL) before heading up the NTDP U17 team.    Their backgrounds are very similar, they're the same age, both played in the WCHA at the same time, and had short careers in the ECHL.   

It's just more of the classic Sabres "let's keep doing the same thing over and over and hope it works out this time" mentality. 

I must quibble with you here a bit.

The AHL is a far better place to learn as a coach than the NCAA.  I got to know college coaches at Michigan State and pro coaching from the Murray brothers when I was at Maryland.  The level of sophistication is vastly different.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

IMHO - there was never any doubt....it was already decided by the end of the season.  The so-called search is merely a check the box exercise.

What a stupid take. If he was decided at the end of the season they would have announced it.

If they announced him as coach at end of the season then people would bitch they didn’t do a real search. They have done a real search, talked to many coaches from all different avenues. People are bitching that they did a real search, that it is taking to long or trying to spin it as, “well they are pretending it is a real search but really it is not.” Some people just want crap to complain about no matter what.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I must quibble with you here a bit.

The AHL is a far better place to learn as a coach than the NCAA.  I got to know college coaches at Michigan State and pro coaching from the Murray brothers when I was at Maryland.  The level of sophistication is vastly different.

We are either getting a retread or an up and comer. Granato is an up and comer with a try out period. Adams had to do the search and check all the boxes in order for this to be considered a competent head coach search. Some may look at this as Granato's to lose, but then the reverse of that is also true, a retread needed to win the job. If one of the retreads wows Adams and gets the job then great, if not I'm fine with Granato.

as a side note I keep wanting to spell Granato as Granado. I keep hearing Ricardo Montalban singing a Chrysler commercial as I type Granado too...

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Should the thread title be changed to something like ... *maybe the end of this week, or next week, or some other as yet defined point in the future* ?????

I am reasonably confident that the Sabres will have a head coach at some point along the way to this coming season.

In JW's defense, he didn't say it was going to be completed within the week.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

We are either getting a retread or an up and comer. Granato is an up and comer with a try out period. Adams had to do the search and check all the boxes in order for this to be considered a competent head coach search. Some may look at this as Granato's to lose, but then the reverse of that is also true, a retread needed to win the job. If one of the retreads wows Adams and gets the job then great, if not I'm fine with Granato.

as a side note I keep wanting to spell Granato as Granado. I keep hearing Ricardo Montalban singing a Chrysler commercial as I type Granado too...

Volare ...

Cantare ...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Do better.

Well I'm much more confident Granato will get the most out our young players. We'll just have to see where we are next year this time.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

What a stupid take. If he was decided at the end of the season they would have announced it.

If they announced him as coach at end of the season then people would bitch they didn’t do a real search. They have done a real search, talked to many coaches from all different avenues. People are bitching that they did a real search, that it is taking to long or trying to spin it as, “well they are pretending it is a real search but really it is not.” Some people just want crap to complain about no matter what.

This is obnoxious.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Do better.

Granato took over a team that was in a state of disarray and spiraling into the abyss. His overall of 9-16-3 (21 pts) doesn't fairly portray the difference he made compared to the coach he replaced. If you expected him to instantaneously change the course of this sinking ship then you are not being realistic. When he first took over their were few opportunities to practice. Even under such challenging circumstances he was able to significantly changed the outdated system of the prior eloquent coach. What was evident is that every player performed better and played with more commitment with him behind the bench. In addition, you are not factoring in the fact that the front office made a decision to play the young players on the roster and those brought up from Rochester a lot more. 

What we know for sure compared to other candidates is that we know that the players on the roster responded to him. That wouldn't necessarily be the case with another coach. And what he know for sure is that he is excellent in developing young talent and holding them accountable for their player. On a roster with a lot of youngsters that is an important quality to lead this roster. 

It would be foolish not to hire Granato. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.