John Wawrow says the Coaching Search Should be Completed Within the Week

Brawndo

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Not true.

Rolston had 12 years coaching at the NCAA D1 level before heading up the NTDP U17 team and then being hired as Amerks head coach.    Granato had 13 years coaching experience (USHL/AHL) before heading up the NTDP U17 team.    Their backgrounds are very similar, they're the same age, both played in the WCHA at the same time, and had short careers in the ECHL.   

It's just more of the classic Sabres "let's keep doing the same thing over and over and hope it works out this time" mentality. 

You are just wrong.  You may not like Granato as a head coach, and maybe he will not turn out to be a good one, but you are 100% wrong in saying they have a similar background.

Granatos coaching experience at the pro level, AHL, NHL assistant, ECHL.....there is a ton of experience that were Rolston had very little.

Granato coached many years in the USHL, the East Coast league, and then was coach of the year in the AHL with 5 years of coaching in the AHL, and then additional experience in the AHL with Chicago later in his career.  Granato also had stints as an assistant coach in the NHL with the Blues, Blackhawks, and of course the Sabres.

Granato pro coaching experience up to potentially named coach of Sabres this summer:  210 games head coach in the ECHL, 480 games as head coach in the AHL, parts of 5 seasons assistant in the NHL with 3 different teams, and head coach of the sabres taking over for Krueger and doing better.

Rolston pro coaching experience up to being named coach of the Sabres:  152 games head coach in the AHL.

That is a HUGE difference.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

For some around here who claim they have a lot of hockey experience… It’s quite stunning how Rolston is brought up as a comparable to Granato. 😂

Throw a pair of gardening gloves on him and you wouldn't know the difference.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

You are just wrong.  You may not like Granato as a head coach, and maybe he will not turn out to be a good one, but you are 100% wrong in saying they have a similar background.

Granatos coaching experience at the pro level, AHL, NHL assistant, ECHL.....there is a ton of experience that were Rolston had very little.

Granato coached many years in the USHL, the East Coast league, and then was coach of the year in the AHL with 5 years of coaching in the AHL, and then additional experience in the AHL with Chicago later in his career.  Granato also had stints as an assistant coach in the NHL with the Blues, Blackhawks, and of course the Sabres.

Granato pro coaching experience up to potentially named coach of Sabres this summer:  210 games head coach in the ECHL, 480 games as head coach in the AHL, parts of 5 seasons assistant in the NHL with 3 different teams, and head coach of the sabres taking over for Krueger and doing better.

Rolston pro coaching experience up to being named coach of the Sabres:  152 games head coach in the AHL.

Aa someone who's played both D1 and pro, the coaching really isn't that much different at all.

My main concern is you're basing the hire off a 30 game stretch... that's it.  And if you peel back the onion, their advanced stats were actually worse under Granato than Kruger.    The only real difference was shooting % and save % at even strength.  Their shooting % was ridiculously high the last few months of the season... unsustainable moving forward IMO.   Defensively they continue to give up too much and took a step back under Granato in that area (high danger chances against per 60)...  so yeah, I'm skeptical.

• Like (+1) 2

There are roughly 380 Million people in the US and Canada combined and exactly two available NHL head coach jobs. In a situation like that how can an organization come up with as pitiful and laughable a pool of candidates as this organization? Unfortunately we all know the answer: The worst owner in the league's modern history.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

There's one reason why people hate Granato. Because he came out of the Sabres.

14 minutes ago, sabremike said:

There are roughly 380 Million people in the US and Canada combined and exactly two available NHL head coach jobs. In a situation like that how can an organization come up with as pitiful and laughable a pool of candidates as this organization? Unfortunately we all know the answer: The worst owner in the league's modern history.

... did you see the list of ppl they interviewed? It was fairly extensive. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

... did you see the list of ppl they interviewed? It was fairly extensive. 

Hey, they didn’t interview a giraffe or a giraffe trainer or a giraffe dietician or some other tired giraffe reference. So it’s an obvious fail.  *beats dead giraffe gif*

Seriously, the Sabres can’t be blamed for interviewing very few candidates. And honestly, no matter who was interviewed, someone would whine about who they did or didn’t interview. It taking too long, or it not taking long enough.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

So you know who they interviewed? And you know who they didn’t interview?

Id like to see their list alongside the list you would have interviewed so I can see for myself how pitiful and laughable it was.

Because it kinda sounds like you are making things up.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, woods-racer said:

as a side note I keep wanting to spell Granato as Granado. I keep hearing Ricardo Montalban singing a Chrysler commercial as I type Granado too...

The GranadA was a Ford.  You're thinking of the Cordoba.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So you know who they interviewed? And you know who they didn’t interview?

Id like to see their list alongside the list you would have interviewed so I can see for myself how pitiful and laughable it was.

Because it kinda sounds like you are making things up.

All of the names are out there and it's a Vegas 5 Star Golden Lock that the guy they pick will be an entry level hire. The one non entry level guy I think (But am not 100% on that off the top of my head) they talked to was Boudreau (whom any sane person in their position would hire) and he has zero chance of getting the job. 

Just now, Doohickie said:

Not sure what point you're trying to make.  Kind of a lazy post.

Too lazy to click on the links and compare? 😜

It’s your chance to compare Rolston’s resume in 2013 with Granato’s in 2021.

Just now, sabremike said:

All of the names are out there and it's a Vegas 5 Star Golden Lock that the guy they pick will be an entry level hire. The one non entry level guy I think (But am not 100% on that off the top of my head) they talked to was Boudreau (whom any sane person in their position would hire) and he has zero chance of getting the job. 

So you don’t know who the interviewed and you were making things up?

19 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Hey, they didn’t interview a giraffe or a giraffe trainer or a giraffe dietician or some other tired giraffe reference. So it’s an obvious fail.  *beats dead giraffe gif*

Seriously, the Sabres can’t be blamed for interviewing very few candidates. And honestly, no matter who was interviewed, someone would whine about who they did or didn’t interview. It taking too long, or it not taking long enough.

giraffe GIF

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I still don't know what your point is.  Seriously.

There was debate going on in front of my post about whether or not Granato is Ron Rolston 2.0. My point was to provide posters with their resumes so they could compare for themselves.

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

There was debate going on in front of my post a out whether or not Granato is Ron Rolston 2.0. My point was to provide posters with their resumes so they could compare for themselves.

See, now I finally know what your intent was.  But still, posting to a bunch of stats doesn't say if your for or against Granato.

People will read into the stats what they want.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.