Sabres' Option: William Eklund

LGR4GM

The 5'10" Swede is crafty and skilled. He was better than Holtz according to most even though they played together and he is younger. Most likely projects to wing at the NHL level but has a well rounded 2-way game. He would be somewhat of a surprise pick considering the Sabres don't really have Euro scouts and that he isn't overly big (I think size does matter for this current mgmt group). He has a high motor and is a mastermind in the offensive zone. 

1) FC Hockey (note his skating is very good)

https://nhlentrydraft.com/news/2021-nhl-draft-spotlight-william-eklund/

2) Last Word

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021/04/06/william-eklund-scouting-report/

3) EP Rinkside (paid content, but I will post their video clips)

https://eprinkside.com/2021/02/17/why-william-eklund-is-the-no-1-ranked-prospect-on-the-eliteprospects-2021-nhl-draft-board

4) Draft Analyst

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2021-nhl-draft/2021-draft-profile-lw-william-eklund/

5) Scouching

Edited by LGR4GM

33 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Again nice player but not a need and not the BPA (whatever that is).

BPA isn't some vague concept no matter how much people want to frame it as such. All it's referring to is a *specific team's* list, sorted by adjudged ability - it's not an attempt to form some sort of "best" consensus and adhering to it. It simply means taking the most talented player regardless of position. 

This is not a strategy I'd adhere to full stop, but there's no sense pretending it's vague. 

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

He looks real good.

I like him a lot, I'd love to acquire picks if we move Eichel and get him somehow, but with KA in charge, we won't.  We have the WORST GENERAL MANAGER in the history of the organization.  A pacified yes man, who quoted the Pegula's as a gift to them.  What a joke.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

I like him a lot, I'd love to acquire picks if we move Eichel and get him somehow, but with KA in charge, we won't.  We have the WORST GENERAL MANAGER in the history of the organization.  A pacified yes man, who quoted the Pegula's as a gift to them.  What a joke.  

He's got a lot of ground to cover to pass J*son B*tterill in the worst GM sweepstakes in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

He's got a lot of ground to cover to pass J*son B*tterill in the worst GM sweepstakes in my eyes.

I agree, but he's a glorified puppet.  His thanking the Pegula's in his reaction to winning the lottery disgusted me.  He's a "yes man" and I cannot wait until the day the Pegulas and he are OUT.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Make up a fan scenario... then proclaim the GM won’t execute your scenario in the future... then say he sucks because he hasn’t done yet what you said he should do in the future. 

Sounds reasonable. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

13 hours ago, SDS said:

Make up a fan scenario... then proclaim the GM won’t execute your scenario in the future... then say he sucks because he hasn’t done yet what you said he should do in the future. 

Sounds reasonable. 

I’ve heard that you love these type posts. 

On 6/3/2021 at 4:09 PM, TheCerebral1 said:

I agree, but he's a glorified puppet.  His thanking the Pegula's in his reaction to winning the lottery disgusted me.  He's a "yes man" and I cannot wait until the day the Pegulas and he are OUT.

I don't care about guys thanking the owners publicly, I expect some lying. It's only if he's listening to their hockey advice that it matters. Then he's the worst.

As for JBots being the worst, that for me rests on who decided on ROR and Skinner.  Was the ROR trade forced by the Pegulas over the bonus? If so, JBots gets a little forgiveness. Did he want to walk away on Skinner's outrageous number but Pegulas said sign him whatever it takes . Whoever chose sign on that is or was the problem. I'm not sure it was JBot. He might have been in a no win situation. His drafting doesn't seem terrible at this point. Better than Murray's. 

Eklund is a fine little player, but definitely not in the same class as Power. 

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't care about guys thanking the owners publicly, I expect some lying. It's only if he's listening to their hockey advice that it matters. Then he's the worst.

As for JBots being the worst, that for me rests on who decided on ROR and Skinner.  Was the ROR trade forced by the Pegulas over the bonus? If so, JBots gets a little forgiveness. Did he want to walk away on Skinner's outrageous number but Pegulas said sign him whatever it takes . Whoever chose sign on that is or was the problem. I'm not sure it was JBot. He might have been in a no win situation. His drafting doesn't seem terrible at this point. Better than Murray's. 

Eklund is a fine little player, but definitely not in the same class as Power. 

Most have them in the same tier of talent from what I can see. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.