Sabres' Option: William Eklund

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Tampa is heavily involved with analytics. Florida since Bill Zito took over,  Colorado and Vegas. 

Your Krueger Assessment is spot on 

I don't have a problem with using analytics. I just don't believe they should be the primary focus (like Toronto or at least like they were).

This Kreuger control thing has been asserted many times, and you Brawndo are quick with the info often, but I still have never seen any actual proof that Kreuger was anything more than a coach. 

3 hours ago, Curt said:

If I can make an admission, at one point I felt that most of your views were very outdated, annoying and sometimes crazy.  I’ve come around some.  Now I think only a few of your views are outdated, annoying and crazy!  😉

I can accept that. 

(One step at a time, eventually you will see I've been right all along 🙂 )

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't have a problem with using analytics. I just don't believe they should be the primary focus (like Toronto or at least like they were).

If you think analytics are actually a primary focus for a team that signed Cody Ceci (who, to be fair, appears to have revived his career in Pittsburgh), Zach Bogosian, Joe Thornton, Wayne Simmonds and traded a first for Nick Foligno then there's some more research to be done.

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This Kreuger control thing has been asserted many times, and you Brawndo are quick with the info often, but I still have never seen any actual proof that Kreuger was anything more than a coach. 

I can accept that. 

(One step at a time, eventually you will see I've been right all along 🙂 )

Speaking of more research, here's an article that gets into Krueger's influence:

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-signings-show-ralph-kruegers-growing-influence-under-kevyn-adams

Technically, Krueger, 61, still holds the same title: head coach. But his influence has clearly grown under rookie GM Kevyn Adams, a front office neophyte.

Three of the five free agents the Sabres have signed this offseason – most notably, Taylor Hall, the 2017-18 Hart Trophy winner – have connections to Krueger.

“The important thing is all of these players are coming here for the reason, that they’re truly coming here not because we were the last option but because we were the first option for them,” Krueger said of the new players. “We have to work hard to build on this feeling that we’re getting now when we talk to the players that are coming and it’s just powerful when everybody unites like this in building the organization. And I’m pleased to be right in the middle of the team and nowhere but there.”

You should need no further evidence as the man himself in those quotes above talked about what he was part of building and the connections he had to players who were brought in. There's also a bit in the article about Krueger saying Adams has been very inclusive in the decision-making process, indicating he was involved.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Speaking of Eklund. He had 14 points in his first I think 20 games and then had covid and an appendectomy. Idk, the underlying numbers look good, the tape looks really good, and he seems like a good guy who works hard. For me I just don't find any red flags other than "needs to get stronger" which is basically every player. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Speaking of Eklund. He had 14 points in his first I think 20 games and then had covid and an appendectomy. Idk, the underlying numbers look good, the tape looks really good, and he seems like a good guy who works hard. For me I just don't find any red flags other than "needs to get stronger" which is basically every player. 

Crossing My Fingers that you are actually Karmanos or Ventura IRL. 

Seriously though, Eklund should be the First Pick OA. If they get third as well, make Seattle choose between Power and Beniers. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Brawndo said:

Seriously though, Eklund should be the First Pick OA. If they get third as well, make Seattle choose between Power and Beniers. 

Oh if I were the Sabres would have drafted very differently in the last few years. 

That's exactly what I would do

55 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This so many times over. I’m glad I’m not the only one on this train.

I mean when was the last time the Sabres did something that Brawndo and LGR are both in favour of and it went all wrong?

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

The red flag for me is that his 16th year was just OK. It's how I separate Draisaitl from Bennett. Sam's career has reverted to his 16th year, the guy just traded to Columbus had a shaky 16, but scores fine like he did at 17.  Eklund year 17 was great, but scoring wise not Guenther great. Taking Eklund would be great at 3, or definately 5, but for me, not at one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, rakish said:

The red flag for me is that his 16th year was just OK. It's how I separate Draisaitl from Bennett. Sam's career has reverted to his 16th year, the guy just traded to Columbus had a shaky 16, but scores fine like he did at 17.  Eklund year 17 was great, but scoring wise not Guenther great. Taking Eklund would be great at 3, or definately 5, but for me, not at one.

Guenther is overrated because he beat up on bad teams in the shortened WHL season. It is a sample size issue for me with him. 

47 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Guenther is overrated because he beat up on bad teams in the shortened WHL season. It is a sample size issue for me with him. 

But he beat them just as hard at age 16

Look, there's 9 guys you could take at 1, My method drafts Guenther, yours is Eklund. That's why I keep track in Mom's Basement, I am, most of the time, wrong.

• Haha (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, rakish said:

But he beat them just as hard at age 16

Look, there's 9 guys you could take at 1, My method drafts Guenther, yours is Eklund. That's why I keep track in Mom's Basement, I am, most of the time, wrong.

I doubt that. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He should be the guy at 1

3 hours ago, rakish said:

Very interesting, thanks

Laine is the reference here, right?

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Side question, how does Beniers look in your data because he basically just puts up a PPG every level he plays at. 

Didn't realize this was for me, I'll do 3 minutes on Beniers next time I do a video. Now is not good as I'm suffering caffeine headaches

27 minutes ago, Curt said:

Why so confident?

Very few sources out there view Eklund as a top two/three prospect. The hype around Eklund here has taken a big leap forward since the reports came out that the team loves him. He’s been well liked here for a while but it’s certainly taken a step forward.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.