Eichel to Meet with Sabres to Discuss Options regarding Neck Injury Next Week

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Cool, thanks for being a raging dick while explaining this. 

Saying "(w)rong" the SECOND time you've posted something that isn't correct is being a raging jerk?  🤨

Good grief, this is going to be a long off-season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Brawndo said:

They did not but both Dreger and Friedman mentioned it on appearances with the Instigators when Peters asked what the Sabres recourse could be, if he has the procedure without permission 

That's exactly the correct option because if he does it without their permission and he can't play again, they *should* be able to void his contract.

15 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I'm not saying just wipe your hands of it, but we can't force him not to go the surgery route as much as we all disagree with the idea. If Eichel honestly believes it will solve his problem, then he can waive his NMC for a year so that at minimum he can prove he's healthy and if he is and is still wanting out we can play accordingly.

If you make any contract change at all ahead of the surgery, you are agreeing to the surgery.  If the surgery doesn't work or goes bad, then you've lost your option of voiding the contract.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, ubkev said:

Isn't it bush league? I'm pretty sure it's bush league. I don't think the beer has much to do with it.

They can be used interchangeably.  The original is bush though, as in uncultivated, like the bush, implying amateurism, unprofessional, etc. Busch league is 2nd tier stock car racing so it has the same meaning. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/30/2021 at 10:12 AM, Mango said:

If the Sabres want to change the culture, they need to not threaten to void a contract based on differences in opinion on medical care. That’s where the Sabres look Busch League. 

It is really that simple. 

They should be involved in Jack’s mental, emotional, and physical health. Of course. It will be difficult for them to take a step back from their previous flex and focus and focus on general maintenance and care. 

In regards to Adam’s. I don’t know. I try to give him the benefit of the doubt and not heap all my Pegula baggage on the guy. But the team has been an embarrassment for nearly a decade from ownership down. And promoting your VP of Business Development to your GM feels like a bad move even though he played in the league. He also seems to have a giant hole in his resume from assistant coach in Buffalo to VP of BD. Like what did he do for those 6 or 7 years? Was he a scout?

I would argue that pulling the “it’s in your contract that we can control this decision regarding medical procedure, otherwise your contract can be voided” card, for what seems like the first time in the history of the big 4 in the US, would indicate that this sort decision isn’t in his wheel house. 

This is fair and have no issue with it. My issue is it feels like the Sabres led with that point and it has tainted the waters. 

You have no idea if that's actually what they are doing. This meeting could be as simple as sitting down with doctors, who, after reviewing his medical records will discuss the next course of action and then proceeding from there. I'm guessing it's not contentious at all.  This is what our doctors see, this is what your doctors see, let's discuss.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

You have no idea if that's actually what they are doing. This meeting could be as simple as sitting down with doctors, who, after reviewing his medical records will discuss the next course of action and then proceeding from there. I'm guessing it's not contentious at all.  This is what our doctors see, this is what your doctors see, let's discuss.

Yea but but but some sports fans LIVE for the drama. Kinda like a daytime soap opera. Without the tension, drama, and negative thoughts of their favorite sports team, they are forced (subconsciously perhaps) to make stuff up as if that drama is what’s happening. Then react in a strong negative way about those fantasy “most likely happening” scenarios. 

Guiding Adams

As the joke of a franchise turns 

Pegulas world

All my terrible roster 

General disarray

Days of self pity and quagmire 

The young and the injury prone

The bold and the mismanaged

Take your pick! Some fans follow these soaps all day everyday. Just look at some of the threads created 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yea but but but some sports fans LIVE for the drama. Kinda like a daytime soap opera. Without the tension, drama, and negative thoughts of their favorite sports team, they are forced (subconsciously perhaps) to make stuff up as if that drama is what’s happening. Then react in a strong negative way about those fantasy “most likely happening” scenarios. 

Guiding Adams

As the joke of a franchise turns 

Pegulas world

All my terrible roster 

General disarray

Days of self pity and quagmire 

The young and the injury prone

The bold and the mismanaged

Take your pick! Some fans follow these soaps all day everyday. Just look at some of the threads created 😂

If you are into British slops, erm, soaps:

Dead Enders

Consternation Street

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Saying "(w)rong" the SECOND time you've posted something that isn't correct is being a raging jerk?  🤨

Good grief, this is going to be a long off-season. 

Cool! High five! 

2 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Except Eichel's doctor saw the same thing. The 2nd opinion came back with the same treatment. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Cool! High five! 

Except Eichel's doctor saw the same thing. The 2nd opinion came back with the same treatment. 

Right, now they go over the next step.

I'm pretty sure each party has made the other party aware of what they want done, regarding staying or going.  Regardless of what the decision is, Eichel's health is the most important factor in that.

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Is it possible that Eichel doesn’t want this crazy surgery at all, but is taking the public stance just to create a rift between him and the team, in hopes that the relationship goes south to the point where they trade him?

Anything is possible. How have other pro athletes get out of their teams?

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Is it possible that Eichel doesn’t want this crazy surgery at all, but is taking the public stance just to create a rift between him and the team, in hopes that the relationship goes south to the point where they trade him?

I'm not following it very closely at all, but the cynic in me feels like Jack doesn't want to be here anymore, and is trying to figure out how to shoot his way out of town without looking like the bad guy. And his obviously legit injury is his vehicle for doing so.

52 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

I'm not following it very closely at all, but the cynic in me feels like Jack doesn't want to be here anymore, and is trying to figure out how to shoot his way out of town without looking like the bad guy. And his obviously legit injury is his vehicle for doing so.

Plan GIF by memecandy

The one bit he missed is that if he did make up the controversy to try to force the Sabres' hand, he also lowered his trade value by making this about an injury which makes it less likely the Sabres will get an equitable return, and therefor will be less likely to trade him.

stop it no more GIF

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Plan GIF by memecandy

The one bit he missed is that if he did make up the controversy to try to force the Sabres' hand, he also lowered his trade value by making this about an injury which makes it less likely the Sabres will get an equitable return, and therefor will be less likely to trade him.

stop it no more GIF

Yeah, I know, but what part of Eichel's year-end comments sounded like a guy "who wants to be here"? Isn't that the basic standard the organization is operating under now?

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I think all he has to do is ask for a trade and he'll be gone. But his health will dictate when and if that happens. I personally feel that he has already asked for that and the Sabres agreed, but asked him to not say it publicly so to not hurt their bargaining position. I think if he was staying, we would know that by now. I hope I'm wrong, I think it will be a huge mistake to trade him.

On 5/31/2021 at 9:37 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

There is such a desire to blame the Sabres for everything that we side with the player, even when he's being petulant. His own doctors told him to give rest and therepy a chance first.

I mean, the Sabres have been spectacular under your pal Terry's ownership.  Why would we ever have any doubts about Terry's spectacular franchise and ownership record?

14 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

They should call his bluff then. “OK Jack, everything is setup, you go under the knife on Friday.  Here are 300 waivers you have to sign that absolve us of any responsibility for your decision.”

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Why? It's been the most likely outcome on this forum for months.

I think Eichel being moved is actually a pretty big deal. He's my favourite player - the excitement he brings isn't why I watch because I I watch because Buffalo but if I *did* watch for entertainment, he'd be the leading reason why, by far. The impact of moving the Face of the franchise will be felt, especially among younger fans. 

I remember the Mogilny trade - I was almost 9. He was my favourite player at the time, it bummed me out. My Dad explained it was about losing the best player but making the team better, overall, hopefully. And that seemed to make sense. And, well, it happened. But that's the thing - I'm not sure how likely of a result that is, all data considered. They absolutely targeted the right players, we'll have to do that, just to start. And the presence of the best goalie of all time probably made things a smidgen easier. We'll have to find something for that - but it did work. And the team also was all about winning, they weren't choosing to rebuild - we'll have to see about that.

I really think the deal needs to work in this case, if they deal Jack Eichel, because without him, if they don't win, that entertainment value and excitement that he brings is gone and we haven't seen our lowest days. 

This is why I wouldn't choose trade him. Although you are correct it seemed likely, speaking for at least myself I unashamedly have a fair portion of my brain committed to denial still - if you think Friedman is trustworthy it certainly makes it feel more real, at least to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.