Draft Lottery (June 2) Thread And Who Sabres Should Draft Thread (All in one!)

bob_sauve28

7 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Would you trade down and...gasp...pick the goalie? Jesper Wellstedt? 

If it was up to me, I'd be dealing the pick right now, pre-lottery, if it could fetch a good 20-24 year old player with a realized top 6 ceiling. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Size doesn't matter if you are good at hockey but it can help. You are oversimplifying and bastardizing what I am saying

Owen Power is first overall because he is 6'6" not because he is better at hockey and specifically uses that tool to impose his will on others. There's some flaws in his game and they include not being physical enough in his own end and closing gaps correctly consistently (both improved this season). 

You don't draft 6'4" Tom Wilson when 5'10" Jack Hughes is on the board. That is how drafts work though because when you talk about a player and the first thing is "he's got great size" you have failed as a talent evaluator. 

Pronger in particular was good at hockey and sure his size gave him that extra special part. But he had to be awesome at hockey first. Size CAN be a useful tool but just having it doesn't make it so. 

I think you are missing my point.

It seems like every time someone mentions a player's size as  plus, you launch into your spiel about how size doesn't matter.

We know that size on its own doesn't matter.

We also know that all else being equal it helps.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, steveoath said:

The big -ve I've seen associated with Power is the lack of physicality. Could he learn to play a more physical game, or is that more in a players nature?

I actual don’t think he has a lack of physicality.  When I watched him, he does play physical.  However, he does not physically dominate or change the game with size/strength.  I think he could learn to use it more, because I don’t think he is a naturally passive player or anything.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Would you trade down and...gasp...pick the goalie? Jesper Wellstedt? 

Absolutely not. Even the top teenage goalies are a crapshoot and don’t become difference makers until their mid 20s.  We have no idea if UPL or Portillo develop into franchise guys but they are both solid. Don’t use a top pick on an 18 year old goalie.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

So do you think Sabres fans are overvaluing Eichel?  We’re you happy with the return for ROR?  Was that proper value?

It doesn’t matter how we value a player. We got market value for ROR, which was clearly a lot less than we expected. I don’t think it was proper value, but that doesn’t matter. It also doesn’t matter what you valued him at either. We got market value, which was his true value at that moment. As fans, do I think we are going to get less than what we believe is a good value for Jack? Absolutely.

And this is mostly based on his injury history. What’s the probability that he is damaged goods right now? I think it’s low, but it’s certainly not zero. 

22 hours ago, dudacek said:

In no world does Kaliyev and Turcotte get you the 1st overall pick, even in this draft.

In no universe does Byfield equal Eichel.

For the first part, this is debatable. Again, if we go in insisting we “win” a trade, the trade won’t happen. Maybe that’s good, maybe that’s bad. I certainly don’t know. Plus, keep in mind, there’s a time value of prospects. These 2 players are likely to be top-6 players and are likely to be on the Sabres roster sooner than any 2021 1OA, especially given our lack of a amateur scouting department. That’s of more valuable to Adams and the Pegulas. 

As for Eichel, I definitely think he’s in a different league than Byfield. But, if he’s dead set on being a jerk, and the severity of his injury is still unknown, then maybe this isn’t such a lopsided trade. Remember, one GM has called him “untradeable”. 

I also said I would want some sweeteners. But, minor stuff, like a 2nd or a conditional first in 2022. 

17 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I have no idea how this thing works.

Are the Sabres guaranteed a top 2 pick like in the damn 2014 and 2015 draft?

The top 2 spots are determined by the lottery so the Sabres can choose 1st, 2nd or 3rd depending on how the lottery plays out.  There is no great prize at #1 and no one can say the player at #1 will be better then #3 so it really is not a huge deal where they end up.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 5/20/2021 at 4:41 PM, Flashsabre said:

Absolutely not. Even the top teenage goalies are a crapshoot and don’t become difference makers until their mid 20s.  We have no idea if UPL or Portillo develop into franchise guys but they are both solid. Don’t use a top pick on an 18 year old goalie.

They should use a middle round pick on the giant goalie son, Owen Parker.

5 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I have no idea how this thing works.

Are the Sabres guaranteed a top 2 pick like in the damn 2014 and 2015 draft?

They have a 65%chance of picking 3rd. 18 something % chance of picking  1st. Prolly picking 3rd I’m guessing. 2nd its around 16%. Like others have said not sure it really matters in this draft.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.