Draft Lottery (June 2) Thread And Who Sabres Should Draft Thread (All in one!)

bob_sauve28

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No it isn't. If you suck at hockey but are 6"6" you are going to still suck. If you are AWESOME at hockey and have a growth spurt going from 6' to 6'4" you aren't good simply because you got taller, but it can help you if you incorporate it into your game. It is why we see so many 6 foot or shooter guys being so fiesty. They don't have the size to just let smaller weaker guys bounce off so they have to work and that translate even if they grow bigger. 

Size only really matters at the extremes. 5'8"... well ya that might limit you. 6'6" well yea that might limit you. 

Saying "size doesn't mater but it can help" is inherently contradictory in the most obvious way possible but go off lol

I get your point it's just the way you phrase it leads to people saying you (and by proxy, me) are over-exaggerating 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Saying "size doesn't mater but it can help" is inherently contradictory in the most obvious way possible but go off lol

I get your point it's just the way you phrase it leads to people saying you (and by proxy, me) are over-exaggerating 

It's not contradictory in my mind. If player A is smaller than B but is better, I am taking A. 

Just now, Buffalonill said:

Hes myers 2.0 which isn't bad 

That is kinda my impression. I think he might be smarter than Myers in his positioning. Again, he's not bad at all. 

Remember we are arguing the most minute details of the top 5 or so guys at this point because realistically they are all about in the same tier. 

• Like (+1) 2

If the Sabres get 1st overall they can't take another D in that spot, they just can't. I know that's really illogical but I wouldn't do it on principle. 

Imagine getting 1st overall twice in 4 years and coming away with a D-man both times. 

HELL no. Just an absolute pass for me on that idea

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That is kinda my impression. I think he might be smarter than Myers in his positioning. Again, he's not bad at all. 

Remember we are arguing the most minute details of the top 5 or so guys at this point because realistically they are all about in the same tier. 

I think the contract got to his head and destroyed the player he could've been imo .

Power should be a nice player  I just don't want to wait 5 years for him to develop

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If they had drafted Rossi last year, I would have bet money Guenther would be the pick. 

I think this too. It's why the Quinn pick annoys me so much as he was a winger in a field of centres and now we are hoping on Beniers, a centre in a field of wingers/D-men. Shoulda came away with a C last year. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If the Sabres get 1st overall they can't take another D in that spot, they just can't. I know that's really illogical but I wouldn't do it on principle. 

Imagine getting 1st overall twice in 4 years and coming away with a D-man both times. 

HELL no. Just an absolute pass for me on that idea

If the best player is a d-man, I'd take a d-man. Talent is talent 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If they had drafted Rossi last year, I would have bet money Guenther would be the pick. 

I honestly want to forget the draft ever happen .

Me screaming in happiness when you hear from the Ottawa 67's..

Then disappointed :

giphy.webp

Then  Anger:

DistantCarefreeAnole-max-1mb.gif

The wife says( "its just a sport " )

She just didn't understand 

giphy.webp

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think this too. It's why the Quinn pick annoys me so much as he was a winger in a field of centres and now we are hoping on Beniers, a centre in a field of wingers/D-men. Shoulda came away with a C last year. 

Only in buffalo you trade your franchise center for a player you could of drafted for free 

13 hours ago, kas23 said:

A center prospect, plus 2 other decent prospects (ages 19 and 20). All of which will likely contribute on the Sabres roster before this year’s 1OA does. TSN’s Seravalli was the one who first reported the Kings interest. So, if Byfield is off limits, then this is all moot. Cross the Kings of the list and we just lost a great trading partner. However, if this is posturing and it may take more to pry him out, then it’ll take us adding to the trade. 

I just think that as Sabres fans, we always overvalue our players and suggest potential trades that would never happen in real life. 

So do you think Sabres fans are overvaluing Eichel?  We’re you happy with the return for ROR?  Was that proper value?

6 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I honestly want to forget the draft ever happen .

Me screaming in happiness when you hear from the Ottawa 67's..

Then disappointed :

giphy.webp

Then  Anger:

DistantCarefreeAnole-max-1mb.gif

The wife says( "its just a sport " )

She just didn't understand 

giphy.webp

Ha. That was my exact experience.  Although if we had drafted Rossi and his Covid year happened it would be a year of hearing how Rossi will never play now and it was so Sabres to draft him.😂

13 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

If the best player is a d-man, I'd take a d-man. Talent is talent 

I take my chances with the forward, or trade it

D-men have a lower ceiling than forwards as a general rule, if you don't think it's not that way, at the very least in perception, take a look at any "top NHLers list" and check out how many d-men at any given point are in the top 10, 20, etc. Forwards generally have more effect in driving the current game.

If I'm picking 1st overall, I want that ceiling. There's a reason D-men don't often go 1st overall very often at all, right? No way we can be the team that does it twice in 4 years. THAT would be "because Buffalo"

Generally speaking, we were "unlucky" the best player was a D-man when we picked 10A in 2018

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I take my chances with the forward, or trade it

D-men have a lower ceiling than forwards as a general rule, if you don't think it's not that way, at the very least in perception, take a look at any "top NHLers list" and check out how many d-men at any given point are in the top 10, 20, etc. 

If I'm picking 1st overall, I want that ceiling. There's a reason D-men don't often go 1st overall very often at all, right? No way we can be the team that does it twice in 4 years. THAT would be "because Buffalo"

Ummm...I don't see it that way. Give me a team with solid defensemen and you have a good team (as long as goaltending is solid) . I don't think you can have enough of them, myself. It takes longer for them to develop because it's such a hard position to play. 

I won't complain if they take a forward, but if there is a better defenseman we should take him. 

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Ummm...I don't see it that way. Give me a team with solid defensemen and you have a good team (as long as goaltending is solid) . I don't think you can have enough of them, myself. It takes longer for them to develop because it's such a hard position to play. 

I won't complain if they take a forward, but if there is a better defenseman we should take him. 

If they truly do think Power is the best talent available it speaks to the weakness of the draft and I'd argue they should trade the pick. They won't, I know, but it's what I would do 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.