Draft Lottery (June 2) Thread And Who Sabres Should Draft Thread (All in one!)

bob_sauve28

Draft lottery odds: 

1. Buffalo Sabres (18.5 percent)

2. Anaheim Ducks (13.5)

3. Seattle Kraken (11.5)

4. New Jersey Devils (9.5)

5. Columbus Blue Jackets (8.5)

6. Detroit Red Wings (7.5)

7. San Jose Sharks (6.5)

8. Los Angeles Kings (6.0)

9. Vancouver Canucks (4.5)

10. Ottawa Senators (3.5)

11. Calgary Flames (3.0)

12. Arizona Coyotes (2.5)*

13. Chicago Blackhawks (2.0)

14. Philadelphia Flyers (1.5)

15. Dallas Stars (1.0)

16. New York Rangers (0.5)

*Arizona must forfeit its first-round pick for violating the NHL's combine testing policy

Commentary on Sabres: 

The Sabres will have the best odds of any NHL team to land the No. 1 overall pick after going a league-worst 15-34-7 during this season. The last time it had the top selection was in 2018, when it took defenseman Rasmus Dahlin with the pick.

Although the Sabres haven't had the No. 1 pick the past two years, they've still been picking near the top of the order. They took center Dylan Cozens with the No. 7 selection in 2019, then added forward Jack Quinn with the No. 8 pick last year. This year, they're guaranteed a top-three pick, and it will be the ninth straight year they've owned a pick in the top eight.

Despite all those high draft selections, Buffalo has missed the playoffs 10 years in a row, having not reached the postseason since 2011. But it will have the opportunity to keep adding top draft prospects as it looks to turn things around and get back to the playoffs.

There's a solid chance that the first player selected in this year's draft will be Michigan defenseman Owen Power. If the Sabres own the top pick, that could be who they add to their roster. Power has a ton of potential, so he would be a great addition to Buffalo's young core.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2943422-nhl-draft-lottery-2021-date-odds-and-latest-regular-season-standings 

Other odds: 

According to tankathon.com, Buffalo’s chance at the third overall pick is 65.1%, their chance at the second overall pick is 16.4%, and their chance at the first overall pick is 18.5%.  All of these odds are the highest for that pick, and Sabres fans obviously will be hoping for number one overall, which is something that has not happened many times in franchise history.

So who do you want at 

2. 0r 

3? 

Or do you want to trade down and pick the goalie Jesper Wallstedt? lol, just throwing that out there to stir the pot, sorry. But...

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/mock_draft Tankathon has us taking Owen Powers number one 

Edited by bob_sauve28

Beniers v Power, would have a lot dependent on the Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen and overall jettison of this roster.  Would it not be safe to assume.  If Eichel acquires a center prospect of the ilk that are (Zegras, Byfield, Turcotte, Zary or so on) would it not be more advantageous to draft Power in that case.  That being said, this draft is so wide open, prospects like Guenther, Edvinsson, Eklund will have to be considered.  If a second pick is acquired then you can spread things out more openly. 

I have a feeling we're going to get bumped down. >80% chance we don't get 1st overall.

I want Beniers.  If he's there at 1, 2 or 3 I take him. I'm coming round on Guenther as next on my list in Beniers goes. Then Eklund or Hughes.  

I don't believe any of these will be in the lineup next season though. 

I wouldn't be outraged if we traded down. I like Mason McTavish so if we could get a few extra picks that may be useful, there may be all kinds of unknown talent that turn up in later rounds just due to lack of scouting and playing opportunity. 

28 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Draft lottery odds: 

1. Buffalo Sabres (18.5 percent)

2. Anaheim Ducks (13.5)

3. Seattle Kraken (11.5)

4. New Jersey Devils (9.5)

5. Columbus Blue Jackets (8.5)

6. Detroit Red Wings (7.5)

7. San Jose Sharks (6.5)

8. Los Angeles Kings (6.0)

9. Vancouver Canucks (4.5)

10. Ottawa Senators (3.5)

11. Calgary Flames (3.0)

12. Arizona Coyotes (2.5)*

13. Chicago Blackhawks (2.0)

14. Philadelphia Flyers (1.5)

15. Dallas Stars (1.0)

16. New York Rangers (0.5)

*Arizona must forfeit its first-round pick for violating the NHL's combine testing policy

Commentary on Sabres: 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2943422-nhl-draft-lottery-2021-date-odds-and-latest-regular-season-standings 

Other odds: 

So who do you want at 

2. 0r 

3? 

Or do you want to trade down and pick the goalie Jesper Wallstedt? lol, just throwing that out there to stir the pot, sorry. But...

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/mock_draft Tankathon has us taking Owen Powers number one 

Do you know whether they'll reselect should the Yotes win or do they possibly forfeit 1 or 2 in addition to 12-14?

Because if their pick is forfeited regardless of where they pick & they can win the lottery, that bumps the Sabres up to 21% for pick #1. 

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Do you know whether they'll reselect should the Yotes win or do they possibly forfeit 1 or 2 in addition to 12-14?

Because if their pick is forfeited regardless of where they pick & they can win the lottery, that bumps the Sabres up to 21% for pick #1. 

Yikes! No clue. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Beniers or Hughes if we decide to go with defense. I think Power will be good, but Hughes will end up being top of the class. I can't imagine anyone taking Hughes over Power, but long term I think it's going to shake out as the better move.

No love for Clarke up there with Hughes?  For me, top 3 Fs in order are Beniers, Eklund, Guenther, top 3 D are Clarke, Hughes, Power.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

No love for Clarke up there with Hughes?  For me, top 3 Fs in order are Beniers, Eklund, Guenther, top 3 D are Clarke, Hughes, Power.

I'm just not as familiar with him as Hughes. I'll take a look. 

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Best forward available. I have 3 forwards still above the 3 defenders.

Do you think that's the case in 5 years and 10 years? I would imagine the top three forwards will all have a greater impact in the first five years, not sure how it shakes out long term. 

4 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I'm just not as familiar with him as Hughes. I'll take a look. 

Do you think that's the case in 5 years and 10 years? I would imagine the top three forwards will all have a greater impact in the first five years, not sure how it shakes out long term. 

Power Rangers Reaction GIF

I still favour Power. I know the not another D man first thing, but pretty sure we're going to trade Risto and I favour having an overly abundant D prospect/development pool rather than a thin one. JBot put us back on the right path for D , I do give him credit for that, but we still have a long way to go. 

Nobody wows me though so if somebody wants it, I'd still trade the high first for a lower first plus ........

Beniers

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

The Yotes can win the a drawing however in that case the NHL will merely put the balls back in and run it again.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

The Yotes can win the a drawing however in that case the NHL will merely put the balls back in and run it again.

Aww. It would be perfect for 2020/2021 if the yotes won, then had to forfeit resulting in no 1OA this year!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.