Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

50 minutes ago, Curt said:

What does everyone think that it means to call this a framework?

This wasn’t a deal that was actually agreed to by both sides because (1) if a deal is actually agreed to by both sides, then it would be done, and (2) the money in the proposed deal doesn’t work for either team.

Because of that, I guess I just don’t know what this framework actually is.

Now, maybe Vegas and Sabres agreed to this as a possibility IF Vegas can find some other way to move salary and IF Buffalo can take on money from somewhere else.  Those are somewhat big if’s though and even if the stars do align and the salary moves get done, who knows if one side or the other changes their mind by then.

Basically, it doesn’t actually look that close to me.

Actually I believe it can be agreed on by both sides (GM’s), but hit snags such as an owner who is hesitant. 

Based on the trade proposal supposedly nixed on Friday; the cap wouldn't work without legitimate gymnastics and even then there would still be a problem cap wise.

Coghlan, Dylan 

Krebs, Peyton

Tuch, Alex

2022 1st round pick (VGK)

for 

Eichel

cant be made cap compliant without Buffalo retaining at least 3 mil and I can understand why we'd balk at that.

Obviously they could "Kucherov" Eichel but they may need him just to get into the playoffs to begin with. Not to mention he'd be likely ready to go by the end of the Olympic Break which is two months prior to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Poorly worded tweet.  Does Krebs, Tuch, Brisson, OR Coghlan mean the first 2 and one of the last two, or does it mean only one of those 4, plus a conditional 1st.

It was written as Krebs, Tuch, Brisson OR Coghlan, and a 1st.

It wasn’t super clearly written, but I took it as either Brisson or Coghlan, in addition to all other pieces as is.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

If the Sabres were the ones who backed out, I imagine it was due to the salary retention issue. We’ve all heard how TPegs is dug in on that issue. Can’t say as I blame him, either. 

I don't want the Sabres to retain salary, but there are so many shades of grey here...

-Did they want the Sabres to retain something like $5 million per year?

-Was it retaining $1m or $2m per year, along with taking back a salary that would be on the Sabres books?

-If there was the Sabres taking back a big salary, how long of a contract would that player be for?

Its a message forum so we speculate....I just with there was a time, maybe 2 years..where after that time was up ALL the details of possible trades present would be released to the fans.  If the NHL wants to have a hit/moneymaker, how about  netflix series that gets access to teams across the league on trade deadline day?

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

If the Sabres were the ones who backed out, I imagine it was due to the salary retention issue. We’ve all heard how TPegs is dug in on that issue. Can’t say as I blame him, either. 

It's not too difficult to understand Pegula's general reluctance to not be willing to retain salary on a traded player. But in this particular Jack case (if it is really a factor?) he has to show some flexibility. The reason is that this is a unique situation where the player being dealt has a questionable health status, both short term and even potentially long term. The team taking him on is taking a risk for a player who still has to undergo a surgery on his neck. 

It's understood that the Sabres are in a rebuilding mode. Adding maybe two pieces from a Jack trade would certainly help to accelerate the rebuild. And it should be noted that the Sabres are around the cap floor. So if the holdup in a deal is due to the owner being unwilling to retain any salary then that would be very disappointing, and in my view self-defeating. 

• Like (+1) 1

I would suggest it is highly unlikely that Adams would have negotiated a deal only have Terry reject it based on salary retention.

I would think Terry would have made his feelings on retention strongly known to Kevyn prior to negotiations and Kevyn would have bargained accordingly.

If the GMs actually struck a tentative deal on the players, I would assume any hang-ups would be contingent on other cap-related or health-related moves that still have to happen, be it a separate trade to create cap, Eichel signing off on some insurance brokering of his contract, or some other ancillary move.

It could literally be a team wanting to wait a few extra days for cap to accumulate or an injured player’s status to become clearer. This trade, as described, is almost entirely for futures, no one is counting on parts to be added ASAP.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Keep digging in as long as you want Sabes. Eichel can rot on the sidelines all year until he gets healthy... and then off to the races for the 2022 season for us. 

He’s not playing for this team again. The Sabres know (and want) that and Eichel knows (and wants) that.

44 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Let’s say this is real. Who would we want, Brisson or Coughlin?

Brisson.  All day in my opinion.  More upside.  Plus his daddy is Jack’s (and a lot of other stars) agent.  Might help to be on his daddies good side. 

Edited by Mr. Allen

3 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Cant believe you guys even believe that RumorsDaily guy smh 

I can't believe you think we believe any of this. It's message board so we talk about the rumors. 

Either they let Eichel get adr or they need a 3rd team for salary stuff. 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I can't believe you think we believe any of this. It's message board so we talk about the rumors. 

Either they let Eichel get adr or they need a 3rd team for salary stuff. 

People have adamantly defended NRD or whatever he is called.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

las vegas first to arizona then ? 

No, Schmaltz would be a cap dump to Buffalo in return for them retaining on Eichel. As such Buffalo receives Tuch, Krebs, Brisson, a conditional 22 1st, the Rangers 3rd and an unprotected 23 1st.

Arizona saves money as Schmaltz's contract was backloaded

Vegas gets Eichel at 7mil cap hit. 

12 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Just thought of something thanks to a HFboard post. What if we took Nick Schmaltz from Arizona in return for them retaining 3mil on Eichel.

Why would Arizona trade away Schmaltz for the privilege of paying $3M of Eichel’s salary?

EDIT: ok, I see what you mean about his contract being backloaded, but you think they are really so desperate to dump him?  Are they really that desperate to save ~$4M in salary (~$2M in cap)

Edited by Curt

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Why would Arizona trade away Schmaltz for the privilege of paying $3M of Eichel’s salary?

He's seen as a cap dump to multiple Coyotes fans. He hasn't exactly impressed in Arizona and makes 5.85mil for 5 years and due to his contract structure is owed about 29 million still not including this year's remaining salary.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

He’s not playing for this team again. The Sabres know (and want) that and Eichel knows (and wants) that.

I would never think in a million years he will ever play for us again, I was merely stating that I am happy to wait as long as it takes to get the proper return

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

He's seen as a cap dump to multiple Coyotes fans. He hasn't exactly impressed in Arizona and makes 5.85mil for 5 years and due to his contract structure is owed about 29 million still not including this year's remaining salary.

They would only save a max of about $2-2.5M in cap though.

He may be underperforming his contract but I just question whether they are willing to take on the $3M of dead cap for 4 more years just to dump him.

Generally teams that are looking to dump a useful but overpayed/underperforming player are not also looking to take on long term dead cap space.

Edited by Curt

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

They would only save a max of about $2-2.5M in cap though.

He may be underperforming his contract but I just question whether they are willing to take on the $3M of dead cap for 4 more years just to dump him.

Generally teams that are looking to dump a useful but overpayed/underperforming player are not also looking to take on long term dead cap space.

They save 2.85 mil per year and 15 mil in real money

8 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

They save 2.85 mil per year and 15 mil in real money

They don’t really save $2.85M because they still need to pay a player to take Schmaltz’s roster spot.  So in reality they are saving no more than $2M in cap space.

Schmaltz - $5.85

Eichel Retention ($3) + roster player ($0.75 min) - $3.75

50 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I would never think in a million years he will ever play for us again, I was merely stating that I am happy to wait as long as it takes to get the proper return

Once his NMC kicks in in July it’s over for the Sabres if he’s still here. We can puff out chests out all we want but once that NMC kicks in he’s a Bruin for pennies.

• Like (+1) 1