Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

29 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I don't think the Sabres will have a "close to the cap" issue for at least 3 years.

I disagree, I’d guess Adams wants to hit the ground running and the more flexibility the better.

Let’s say the Sabres get 80 pts this year and legitimately look better. Adams needs to have a flexibility and foresight to see the mass quantity of great value UFAs that are bound to shake loose and have an ability to strike at any time.

If ROR had no history here; I’d guess our analytics department would be all over trying to bring him in to solidify the center group around the many youngsters. In my opinion, if VGK wants 2 mil retention the base price is Theodore, Tuch and Krebs + a 1st and conditional picks. Why those two? Tuch and Theodore have good contracts for 5 & 4 years respectively and one can easily imagine sticking 1 mil on each of their contracts and moving on. Whereas taking only futures gives the appearance of far more general suffering, a constant reminder of Eichel, and effectively a slap in the face when looking at the cap overall.

• Like (+1) 2

If a third team is necessary to take on some of Jack’s Salary that’s going to reduce Buffalo’s Return. 

How much would a team such as Arizona want for five years of retention on Jack’s Salary. 
It cost the Toronto Maple Leafs a 1st to trade Patrick Marleau for one season with 6 Million AAV with 4.25 Million in Actual Cap Space, which Carolina bought out. 

They are going to be looking for a First at minimum, so that’s one less asset for the Sabres as a team such as Vegas is not going to give up a package(for example) of Krebs, Elvenes, Reilly, 2022 1st to Buffalo and a 2023 1st to Arizona for salary retention. 

If Buffalo is willing to retain, yes I realize it’s a Big If, the only two contracts the Sabres have that extend into the 2023-24 season are Skinner and Dahlin, past the that same season is Skinner. With Most of the younger players will be on the ELCs and the cap slowly increasing, retaining 2 Million should be feasible. 

This possibly opens up other teams including Minnesota who wanted the Sabres to retain around 3 Million to make a deal. 

It’s something to consider 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If a third team is necessary to take on some of Jack’s Salary that’s going to reduce Buffalo’s Return. 

How much would a team such as Arizona want for five years of retention on Jack’s Salary. 
It cost the Toronto Maple Leafs a 1st to trade Patrick Marleau for one season with 6 Million AAV with 4.25 Million in Actual Cap Space, which Carolina bought out. 

They are going to be looking for a First at minimum, so that’s one less asset for the Sabres as a team such as Vegas is not going to give up a package(for example) of Krebs, Elvenes, Reilly, 2022 1st to Buffalo and a 2023 1st to Arizona for salary retention. 

If Buffalo is willing to retain, yes I realize it’s a Big If, the only two contracts the Sabres have that extend into the 2023-24 season are Skinner and Dahlin, past the that same season is Skinner. With Most of the younger players will be on the ELCs and the cap slowly increasing, retaining 2 Million should be feasible. 

This possibly opens up other teams including Minnesota who wanted the Sabres to retain around 3 Million to make a deal. 

It’s something to consider 

2 mil is my max; anything more and it becomes a legitimate hinderance to the roster. 

Additionally I’d refuse to take multiple cap dumps plus retain. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

2 mil is my max; anything more and it becomes a legitimate hinderance to the roster. 

Additionally I’d refuse to take multiple cap dumps plus retain. 

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I dunno it depends what I'm getting and what the dumps are and for how long.

Someone such as Reilly would be valuable at the Trade Deadline, He would be worth including in the deal

It’s all about maximizing cap space to acquire more assets 

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

As a fan base, I think in general many of the fans have been tolerant of waiting out a trade on Eichel, mostly because the team is winning.

However, once we hit that 2-3 game losing streak (or more), things are going to get pretty ugly with a lot of fans wanting something done.  I'd like to say personally I understand the 'big picture' and I'm better than that, but honestly I'm probably not.  As long as the team gives me something good to watch I'm content, but if the on-ice product starts getting bad to watch, I'm going to really want something else to think about regarding this team.

5 wins in 8 games has gotten Adams a little space with the fanbase regarding the Eichel trade, but when that record turns a bit south that may not be the case anymore.

(1) I’m not too sure that this true.

(2) Even if “the fans” will want an Eichel trade more if the team loses 2-3 in a row, what difference will it make?  

11 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I wouldn’t care what VGK, Anaheim or Calgary offered me if they required 5mil retention. It wouldn’t matter because we’d lose pieces down the line due to the anchor of 5 mil in dead cap. 2 mil can be skirted around and ignored. 

Im also looking down the line to a Skinner buyout in 2 years, 1 of those years has a 6mil + cap hit and anything more than 2 puts us around 9 to 10 mil in dead cap for a season.

2 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Trading a first away to another team to retain 3 mil in salary for the next handful of years coming from a cap floor team is going to result in the last Pegula holdouts turning coat

I have seen no one anywhere talk about trading the Sabres 1st. I wouldn't worry about this happening. 

Edited by LGR4GM

15 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Whatever they are they are going to add up to less then they are paying Eichel to sit on his ass. 

Just finish it. Cap dumps, conditional picks, whatever. We will simply be better off to close the book and call that era done. 

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Im also looking down the line to a Skinner buyout in 2 years, 1 of those years has a 6mil + cap hit and anything more than 2 puts us around 9 to 10 mil in dead cap for a season.

Doubt it. More likely he serves as the money needed to get past the cap floor as the line up will be filled with rookie contracts and low salaries overall. Won't be buying out skinner for years yet, if ever. 

Just now, triumph_communes said:

Any first. Any first going elsewhere in the Eichel return is because they’re too cheap to pay out the contract.

Its probably real money too related to insurance being lost if another team approves ADR

It's about cap space. 

The real money is irrelevant. It's about cap space for the next 5 seasons 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, triumph_communes said:

Any first. Any first going elsewhere in the Eichel return is because they’re too cheap to pay out the contract.

Its probably real money too related to insurance being lost if another team approves ADR

If they retain salary on Eichel, what difference does the insurance make.  They would end up paying the amount they retained regardless of what happens with Eichel afterwards.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Why though? An Eichel trade will not fix the team immediately. This is a long term trade. Young players/prospects and picks will take time to bear fruit. Eichel can’t play anyways right now. Everyone had the Sabres pegged for last OA. They won’t be. I don’t see pressure on Adams to get a deal done based on record.

Why? Simply the emotional part of being a fan, not the logical part.  I agree the 'logical' part of being a fan is everything you say it is....but emotionally we want something new to think about.

6 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

If Calgary is in on this you wonder if Johnny Hockey is a piece to be possibly involved and then getting moved again.

You can no longer wonder about this. Calgary is off to a great start and Gaudreau is one of the main reasons. They’re not trading him.

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I never said Eichel knows.

Great you're playing games. 

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think part of Vegas not wanting to deal krebs, is they don't have a 1C.   Starting to wonder if a deal is made where Eichel gets the surgery now while being a sabre and gets traded when returning to play so Vegas gets their 1C and can trade krebs.

Krebs isn't their 1c currently. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Great you're playing games. 

I think everyone involved is playing some sort of game.

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think part of Vegas not wanting to deal krebs, is they don't have a 1C.   Starting to wonder if a deal is made where Eichel gets the surgery now while being a sabre and gets traded when returning to play so Vegas gets their 1C and can trade krebs.

Krebs doesn’t play center for Vegas.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I know, but he is their best shot at having one in the future.   And they do lack centers , trading krebs while eichel recovers might kill their season.

He has zero points in eight games, zero in twelve games going back to last year. They should be Ok 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Sound about right. To me, this sounds like Terry rejecting a better trade offer in order to save money a la the ROR trade. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This whole thing that’s going on right now is all because Buffalo doesn’t want to assume the risk of Eichel’s surgery.  I don’t see them changing their mind on that.

• Like (+1) 1