Don Granato as a HC

JoeSchmoe

54 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Or everyone's full of ***** when it comes to RaKru, rest his soul.

It could be that he liked how XHCRK did things, but disagreed with what he was doing.  I know I've had bosses whose overall methodology I liked, but disliked what they implemented.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

It could be that he liked how XHCRK did things, but disagreed with what he was doing.  I know I've had bosses whose overall methodology I liked, but disliked what they implemented.

Good point.  Workplaces are odd things to navigate.  There are a number of people I simply loathe but I work okay with them and they would never know it, nor would anyone outside of my inner circle.  Just about every person in any level of authority has reasons why they are there; it's easy to use those reasons as talking points when talking to people outside the organization.

I finished the listen.  My impression is that he is an excellent development coach who may or may not be a good NHL level coach.  But right now I think the Sabres need a good development coach before they worry about winning it all.... even if they get all of JackSamRisto back.

And if they go in another direction I hope they find a spot on the staff to keep him on in an NHL level development capacity.

• Thanks (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Brawndo said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/on-the-bus-with-cammi-aj/id1546162389

Interesting conversation with Donny Meatballs He doesn’t mind the Nickname. 

Is it too much to ask podcasters to not record their shows in a bathroom? Anyone ever hear of acoustic tile?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is it too much to ask podcasters to not record their shows in a bathroom? Anyone ever hear of acoustic tile?

A-FREAKIN-MEN!!!!

For me, it’s been the worst part of this pandemic.

His ego was too big to realize or admit that he was in way over his head. The kind of guy that can’t or simply won’t self reflect on his own weakness or shortcomings. Kind of pathetic and weak really. In his mind the smartest guy in the room. 

2 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

His ego was too big to realize or admit that he was in way over his head. The kind of guy that can’t or simply won’t self reflect on his own weakness or shortcomings. Kind of pathetic and weak really. In his mind the smartest guy in the room. 

What was so frustrating about him is his rigidity and inability to go outside of his own small box of ideology. When things weren't working out he would resort to doubling down on what he was doing (and failing) instead of trying something different. It's apparent that he didn't listen to any other voices in the room. When Granato, who was on his staff, took over he flipped everything around and in short order got results that were visibly better than what was previously done. Krueger was an accomplished talker. However, he wasn't much of a listener. 

• Like (+1) 1

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Don Granato is a primary candidate for the head coaching job with the Sabres. GM, Kevyn Adams has talked to some college coaches to experience the full process. Adams is expected to meet with ownership this week to explain how he intends on moving forward. No rush.</p>&mdash; Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1394636912963596291?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 18, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Did anyone else post this tidbit?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Don Granato is a primary candidate for the head coaching job with the Sabres. GM, Kevyn Adams has talked to some college coaches to experience the full process. Adams is expected to meet with ownership this week to explain how he intends on moving forward. No rush.</p>&mdash; Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1394636912963596291?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 18, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Did anyone else post this tidbit?

That's about a week old.

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea... I think I just went from undecided to pay the man.

https://theathletic.com/2612324/2021/05/25/the-moment-don-granato-knew-auston-matthews-was-different-plus-his-thoughts-on-the-sabres-and-jack-eichel/?source=user_shared_article

This answer is one of the most interesting, relatable and insightful things I think I’ve ever heard any coach or athlete in any sport ever say:

On hockey’s conflation of happiness and contentedness:

“You can be happy in our business. It’s hard to show it, because people will misinterpret it. But you can never be content. A lot of people act miserable, so they don’t give off the perception that they’re actually happy, because people will say ‘If you’re happy, you’re content.’ Well, no. They’re two totally different things. I’m completely not content, but I’m also comfortable enough to tell you ‘I’m happy about life and other things and about the opportunity. But no, I’m not content. Do you want me to just act mad?'”

“In any competitive business, that can be misinterpreted. The player’s in a tough spot there. The player has to show that he’s grumpy so people realize he’s not content. And then you do that over and over, and year-in and year-out, and interview-in and interview-out. And sometimes you lose yourself. And you lose the feel and the perspective on things. And it’ll bleed into your game.”

Amazing.

Edited by Cascade Youth
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I really liked the interview as well. He spent a lot of time explaining how he approaches a young player. What I would’ve wanted to ask is “how do you approach the veteran player?”  

I also don’t think he has a very high opinion of analytics. And this is ok. Or, maybe he meant to say “no amount of analytics we’re gonna help this team. We needed to start at square one.”

4 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I really liked the interview as well. He spent a lot of time explaining how he approaches a young player. What I would’ve wanted to ask is “how do you approach the veteran player?”  

I also don’t think he has a very high opinion of analytics. And this is ok. Or, maybe he meant to say “no amount of analytics we’re gonna help this team. We needed to start at square one.”

See, I took it as “analytics has its place and is very useful and can be influential, but it won’t rule my decision making”. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.