Rumor: Sabres looking for help to run team

SDS

43 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

Wrong again. I’m not a know-it-all.

You got called out for concocting a silly hypothetical to justify your tightly gripped belief, and now you’re butthurt about it.

That’s your problem. Not mine.

How bout you settle down? This isn’t the AP. If we can’t speculate on message board about a sports team, than where do you give us permission to?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, SwampD said:

How bout you settle down? This isn’t the AP. If we can’t speculate on message board about a sports team, than where do you give us permission to?

I don’t know. I’ve been fighting this battle on here since Darcy.

There is always so much to criticize with this really bad team and the criticism is so frequent that a lot of really mad fans go too far and make up things and then criticize the team for what was just made up as if it were true. It’s the typical strawman fallacy. It goes on all the time. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, john wawrow said:

Again, this is topic makes little sense. They don't need another layer of management to prove how inept they can be. The Bills are doing pretty OK without a so-called president.

What the Sabres need is someone to have a vision and authority over all hockey decisions to see the vision through. That's never been the case under the Pegula's ownership. Ever.

John, lot of people talk about  a President type, which adds a layer.  We know Pegula’s like direct communication and hands on, so they won’t like the layer.  

This person of vision over the hockey operations, whatever the title,  can still be added.  Thinking of a guy like Rutherford (or similar person and background) to run hockey operations and report to Kim or whichever Pegula is the right one.  Keep Adams to run the Business side and report to Pegula as well.  Let the hockey guy hire the hockey staff, coaches, etc.  

Not sure Adams would like it but I am just not comfortable with Adams hiring the next coach, or trading our best players, or having that vision and the skill to reach it.  So far he has done ok, especially in a limited resource and restricted environment, but we have trusted first time GMs and it’s only prolonged the suffering.  

Edited by Pimlach

8 hours ago, john wawrow said:

Again, this is topic makes little sense. They don't need another layer of management to prove how inept they can be. The Bills are doing pretty OK without a so-called president.

What the Sabres need is someone to have a vision and authority over all hockey decisions to see the vision through. That's never been the case under the Pegula's ownership. Ever.

Npt sure if this has been asked John, but has there been any "unconfirmed" rumblings of the Pegula's approaching individuals that have shown success in establishing franchise success?

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

The Bills have become respectable because of Josh Allen.  If he happened to be picked one slot before the Bills, they would still be an 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 middle of the pack team, and no one would be calling McD and Beane geniuses.

The Sabres desperately need an experienced PoHO.

How these two paragraphs are connected escapes me.

3 hours ago, freester said:

This is unproven speculation, no matter how many times it is repeated. 

The evidence is pretty strong.

As for @john wawrow declining to scoop his own employer on this board it is as silly to consider that as it is to think your local pizza delivery man is going to feed you before his paying clients.

No harm in asking (John of all people should get that) but being upset over his response is wasted energy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I don’t know. I’ve been fighting this battle on here since Darcy.

There is always so much to criticize with this really bad team and the criticism is so frequent that a lot of really mad fans go too far and make up things and then criticize the team for what was just made up as if it were true. It’s the typical strawman fallacy. It goes on all the time. 

K. So someone thinks something about a thing that may or may not true, and that means they’re butthurt. That’s some good discourse.

• Thanks (+1) 3

Just now, SwampD said:

K. So someone thinks something about a thing that may or may not true, and that means they’re butthurt. That’s some good discourse.

I didn’t say that. My point was only to add that I have been a vocal critic of strawman arguments for a long time, and it happens all the time when fans are really mad. I don’t think it lends to great discourse either. Not everyone agrees with me.  🤷🏻 

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

I didn’t say that. My point was only to add that I have been a vocal critic of strawman arguments for a long time, and it happens all the time when fans are really mad. I don’t think it lends to great discourse either. Not everyone agrees with me.  🤷🏻 

May I ask why you run two message boards about sports teams, then? 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Amen brother.  Brady may have Giselle, but there's nothing like message board groupies.  

There’s girls here? 

I know one dude had his gf on here who could draw, but I don’t think I’ve seen either of them on here recently. 

On 3/5/2021 at 4:17 PM, msw2112 said:

I believe the lasting impact of the tank is overstated on this board.  It was what: 5, maybe 6 years ago?  Since that time, almost the entire roster has been overhauled.  The team has had multiple GMs and multiple coaches in that time period.  The real problems are bad drafting (too many examples to name), bad trades (ROR stands out the most), bad player development (mishandling of Middlestadt, for example), bad contract management (Okposo and Skinner stand out the most) and bad coaching (RK seems to be the worst - hard to imagine, as I thought Phil was pretty brutal).  Even if we hadn't tanked, but did all of these same things, we would the result be any different?

Great post. The passage of time, and the happening of so many things (as noted), has severed any causal link between the team's current fortunes and the tank.

Also - reading through a few pages of these posts - seems like our Big J visitor comes here to act like a d1ck.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

22 hours ago, john wawrow said:

And i do believe it's [trading Eichel] been on the table since October or so but the Sabres wanted to have one last crack at seeing if they can win.

So this is the last chance for the Sabres before they blow it all up and it's already slipped through their fingers.

Dos Equis Sigh GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.